Exercise whilst flu-ey?

Options
I've got flu :( i ran on sat (when I thought it was just a cold) and did my wk5d1 of c25k - it was HARD. Since then I've got worse and am suffering, but finally seem to be coming out the other side, but I'm due to run tomorrow. What's everyone's opinion on running whilst poorly? Mum says no - it'll make me worse, others say to keep going!

Replies

• sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    sweat it out! unless you're feeling very fragile
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Having just gotten over the flu myself... rest. It's what your body needs.

Personally, I don't log my food when I'm sick, either... I just try to eat smart choices and get plenty of fluids. But I'm not going to stress about the sodium in chicken noodle soup, for instance, or worry that I'm too much over or under in calories or macros.

I've been running for over a year and a half, and the first time back running after the flu was really rough. My body was still weak and my lungs were strained. I took it easy... walked when I needed to walk, ran at a slow and comfortable pace.
  • annieu613
    annieu613 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Personally if it's only in my head (headache/runny nose/sore throat) then I'll keep going. If it's in my chest/other areas of my body (stomach ache/sore joints/etc) then I'll rest.

If you're feeling really bad then your body needs rest to heal. Give yourself a few days. I promise you will still be able to run if you take some time off.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    If it's in your lungs - no go. You risk extending your illness. Lungs are fragile and easily irritated if one attempts aerobic workouts while sick.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Unless you're only experiencing cold symptoms and have no fever, it's best to rest while sick as you could extend the illness or risk turning it into something even more severe.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. With the Flu it would be best to rest, but as you're feeling better, just do what you can. Also don't worry about calories, as you probably won't have much of an appetite while your sick. Just make sure you drink plenty of water and natural juices.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I've got flu :( i ran on sat (when I thought it was just a cold) and did my wk5d1 of c25k - it was HARD. Since then I've got worse and am suffering, but finally seem to be coming out the other side, but I'm due to run tomorrow. What's everyone's opinion on running whilst poorly? Mum says no - it'll make me worse, others say to keep going!

It varies based on symptoms. Generally for the flu bug though, I would let my body rest. Pushing too hard while sick can prolong the illness or make it worse.
  • kitigonkukoo
    kitigonkukoo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I agree in general with the advice above...

If you are congested even, (nose/sinuses or lungs)- no exercise, just eat healthy, stay very hydrated, and rest. You'll recover twice as fast, and can get right back to your normal schedule.

If you try to push it, you might be able to get through a workout or two, but you will almost definately prolong your actual illness, which can have additional complications.

Hydrate. Eat Smart. Rest.
  • sdow
    sdow Posts: 71
    Options
    I am not a doctor or a trainer, but I think you need to let your body use its energy on getting well not on exercise. Take care and do all those things our grandmothers used to tell us--drink lots of fluids, eat well, plenty of rest, etc.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    If it is the Flu then you need to rest or it will really knock you for a loop.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    If you are considering exercise, its not flu.

The first sign of someone having flu is not them saying i have flu, its them saying "kill me".

Exercise with a cold sure, if you feel upto it but you risk just dragging it out.

Fluids and rest, these are what you need.
  • Liasings
    Liasings Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Still in the process of getting over head/chest glop. I did a gentle, SLOW, treadmill walk a couple of times (I've been sick since 7/6). Anything energetic triggered coughing fits that I preferred to avoid. I was one week into C25K; I'll have to start over, but it was better than coughing until I passed out and shot off the treadmill.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    read an article a little while ago about exercising when you've got a cold (I know not the same as the flu)

if you feel up to it a light work out (one that doesn't increase your heart-rate) is okay and will amp up your immune system a bit.

As for running with the flu.. I'd think rest and fluids are what you would need
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    If you are considering exercise, its not flu.

The first sign of someone having flu is not them saying i have flu, its them saying "kill me".

Exercise with a cold sure, if you feel upto it but you risk just dragging it out.

Fluids and rest, these are what you need.

This is true. And legit flu will leave your lungs in bad shape for weeks. Last time I had the flu (the year they mis-guesstimated strains in the vaccine) I was not up to par, aerobically, for probably a good 4-5 weeks. I am also asthmatic, so someone with healthy lungs would likely have bounced-back a bit faster.
  • bazaar1982
    bazaar1982 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, may give it a miss tomorrow as I'm feeling bad again this evening! For those saying its not flu, how could you possibly know? I thought it was a cold early last week but it's got progressively worse (shivers, fever, streaming eyes, nose etc). It's flu. I do not feel like running, or doing anything tbh, but that's not an option with 2 kids! I just wanted to know if it was worth forcing myself up and out for a run. I knw there are mies when I've had a major headache and felt like death but a run has helped, wasn't sure if it's a similar thing with a flu bug.

Will leave it till later in the week, see how I feel!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I've been down with the sickness going on 3 weeks now. My advice is rest. Pushing yourself too hard when sick will only make it worse and prolonged. I did c25k and ran when sick. It was a mistake and it certainly didn't help my progression.