breakfast

Options
What's some good,healthy and/but cheap things to eat for breakfast minus eggs?

Replies

• McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    oatmeal
  • BekahLuv
    BekahLuv Posts: 164
    Options
    Greek yogurt
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I make a breakfast plate and bring it to work...I put in it brie cheese, some crackers (today they are blue diamond crackers), a half of an apple, 1oz of cheddar cheese, almonds, and dried cranberries. It is very filling and I find myself excited for it every morning! I got the idea from Starbucks bistro box...but made a healthier version. The one you buy there has almost 500 calories, but mine has around 300.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with fruit

Greek yogurt with fruit

Anything with fruit.
  • 57silverfox
    57silverfox Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i like honeynut cheerois and lots of blue berries i skip the milk sorta like a trail mix with fruit
  • kaztaz55
    kaztaz55 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats. Cheap, filling and low in cals.
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    whole wheat english muffins with ham and laughing cow cheese spread. Mmm...and spinach onion and tomato if you have it! :)
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats with a little brown sugar and raisins or cinnamon and fresh fruit. I make a pot of them on Sunday, divide into 2c Pyrex dishes and add the brown sugar and raisins or cinnamon. Toss one in my lunch bag, reheat and add fresh fruit if I'm using it. I like the texture and consistency so much better than regular oatmeal. Another way to store them is to buy a bunch of wide mouth half pint mason jars and a couple packs of the plastic lids to use in place of the metal canning lids and rings.

If I'm lazy I toast a light English muffin and put almond butter with a tiny bit of honey on it. Gets me the carbs and protein I need for a little while. No fruit or veggie but I get a ton of those during the day anyway.

Make or buy crepes. Fill with whatever you like. I'm sensitive to eggs and crepes already have eggs so I usually do something like seasoned lean ground turkey, browned and added to sautéed spinach and veggies. Or almond butter with a little honey. Spread a laughing cow cheese wedge (I use half a wedge of the light Swiss) and for savory: chop some sweet onion and add that; for sweet: top with banana slices and/or fresh berries...can also add slivered or sliced almonds to either of them. I'm planning on getting some chocolate PB2 to try on crepes as well. The crepes keep in the fridge for a few days...you could also use a burrito or wrap but I like the flavor and delicate feel to the crepes, plus they're easy to make at home so I know exactly what goes in them. I assemble it in the morning, roll it up, wrap in tin foil and throw it in the toaster oven at work.

An idea I want to try but haven't gotten the pan for the eggs is to make an imitation mcmuffin with turkey bacon or Morningstar sausage patty. They freeze well too. It wouldn't be an every day breakfast for me but on those days I realize I have to get to work and didn't make anything for breakfast, it'll keep me from getting a higher calorie/fat/sodium/chemical one from somewhere on the way. Check out this link if you want directions: http://www.theyummylife.com/Egg_McMuffin . She has some other good breakfast ideas too and she's the inspiration for the little mason jar with plastic lid idea.
  • KarenK37
    KarenK37 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I like to make little hashbrown egg nests , they are 133.4 cals for 2 nests and then I add bacon on the side. So you can have a breakfast that's about 200 cals but feels like a real breakfast. I found the recipe on skinnytaste.com and I make a big batch and just freeze the rest for another day.Enjoy!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    What's some good,healthy and/but cheap things to eat for breakfast minus eggs?

Leftovers from previous nights supper.
  • meglynne1987
    meglynne1987 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Low fat yogurt, fresh fruit.....
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal
    Muesli
    Weetabix

I usually add a small banana to any of these to keep me going all morning :smile:
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I like peanut butter and honey on either a "sandwich thin" or whole wheat english muffin.