Help Tweaking Training Plan for 1st Half Marathon?

Options
Been running consistently again since February and had been thinking about a half since spring. Took the leap and signed up last week for the Women's Half on 9/22. My goals are to first have fun and not get hurt; second, to finish, period; third, finish in 2:30, then 2:15, and ultimate goal 2:00 or a hair under.

Week of 6/18 I ran 24 miles, tapered down for three weeks and last week ran 21. Have done two long runs of 10 miles (Saturday did a hilly course in 1:32). Usually run 3 to 4 times a week and bike Monday evenings 15-20 hilly miles with friends.
Times have really improved this season (lost the weight I wanted to and staying healthy makes such a huge difference) 5K time has improved to right at 26 and raced my first 10K at 57:02 the beginning of June.

I have downloaded/printed the Cool Running beginner, the Marathon Academy Training program and the FIRST to get ideas to finalize my remaining weeks of training. I've got a rough outline of a schedule on paper which includes a 5K on 8/25 we are committed to and possibly a hilly 10K on Labor Day I'd like to run. If I increase my long run to 12 miles this week, I can get to a long of 14 and then taper back before the half. Not sure what to fill in on the rest of the week as far as distance, pace, etc. I've never done speed work because when I try I usually start breaking body parts. :)

If any experienced runners can give me some pointers and/or take a look at what I've got in mind, I would love the input. Not really wanting to run a lot of "junk" miles, but not sure I like plans where you never run a long run over 12 either when the race is 13.1. Also wondering what you do when weather or work gets in the way of your training plans and how you adjust. We don't have a treadmill and the rec center where we go puts limits on use so I couldn't do a long run there.

TIA!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    As you're still relatively new to running I wouldn't worry about speed work for now, focus on endurance and form. (That was pretty good 10K time in June!)

Most half marathon plans I've seen tend to peak at about 12 miles, when I was training for mine I did a couple of 20km long runs about 5 weeks out from the race and the full 21.1km 3 weeks out (but I'd also done a half in January and I've been running for about 4 years). My only real suggestion as to pushing the distances is to make sure you're going at a very easy pace.

For me weather is never a factor (except if there's freezing rain in the winter) I love running in the rain and on really hot humid days either run early in the AM while it's still a bit cooler or slow down my pace.

Have fun!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The only junk miles are those you run at the wrong pace to accomplish the purpose of a specific workout. If the purpose of a workout is to build aerobic capacity then the pace can be quite slow and still accomplish its purpose. At the same time, if the purpose is to build aerobic capacity and the pace is too fast then that is junk.

Bottom line: The more miles you run (within your ability to recover) = the higher you build your aerobic capacity = the faster you will race.

If you haven't seen this yet take a look to calculate optimal training paces: http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/calcUsage/calculate
  • laureltn
    laureltn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Brian! I've actually been running for about 4 years (prior to that I said I would run only if I was on fire). Went to a boot camp at the Y, they made me run, and I started to like it. I was an overzealous newbie, however, and ended up with a peroneal tear (that was fun surgery) in December of 2009. It took me until last fall to really get back to where I was before the error in judgment. But as a result, the #1 goal in every race is to not get hurt. #2 is have fun. The rest is bonus.

I was really pleased with that for a first 10K for a 55-yo gal, especially since everybody's watch timed it at 6.3 or more -- but it was flat as a pancake. There weren't very many people who ran the 10K (they had a 5K too) but getting 1st in the Grand Masters was a surprise and very awesome anyway.

Now, i just got a wild hair and ran 10K this morning, and crushed my 10K PB with a 54:24. YAY! In light of that, I may back off of shooting for a 14-mile long run and try to factor in just one 13.1 far enough out that I can taper. I should be able to get close to 2:00 finish time if I just stay the course and keep working on endurance for the next two months. As long as goals 1 and 2 are met, however, it's all good. I am just really enjoying it all and hope to talk my husband into a half in February down in Tampa that I have my eye on.
  • laureltn
    Options
    Thank you! According to it I should be a darned gazelle at the half based on my fastest 5K and 10K times. I have been mainly focusing on good breathing and hills, listening to my body, experimenting with hydration, etc. And you make a good point about quality of training. Any more links, tips, I'm open to them. and again, appreciate your taking the time to reply.

edited to add -- Oh, I had this calculator confused with another that estimated your race pace based on other race times. This is very helpful. thank you!
    The only junk miles are those you run at the wrong pace to accomplish the purpose of a specific workout. If the purpose of a workout is to build aerobic capacity then the pace can be quite slow and still accomplish its purpose. At the same time, if the purpose is to build aerobic capacity and the pace is too fast then that is junk.

Bottom line: The more miles you run (within your ability to recover) = the higher you build your aerobic capacity = the faster you will race.

If you haven't seen this yet take a look to calculate optimal training paces: http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/calcUsage/calculate
  • scottb81
    Options
    I think your biggest training payoff between now and 9/22 is to run as many easy miles as you are willing and able to run, a long run every other week, and a tempo run of 20 to 40 minutes every week.

The easy runs will build aerobic capacity.

The long runs will build aerobic capacity and provide the stimulus for building the fitness required for 13.1 miles. If you have the time then building to 15 miles would be useful. Pace is not important on these runs so a pace a minute or two slower than race pace is good. On the weeks between long runs a semi long run of around 90 minutes is long enough to provide a long run stimulus and short enough not to be overly demanding.

The tempo runs will build stamina and over time will give you the ability to hold a faster pace for a longer time. Technically, they are run at a pace right below your lactate threshold and train the body to utilize the lactate produced at a faster pace. These are demanding so once a week is enough. Twice a week is probably ok if there are a couple of easy days in between.
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm hijacking this topic to talk about me :smile:

I ran a 5k on Saturday and managed to run a PR of 22:59 (my goal was 23:00 :smile:)

I put my numbers into the calculator and it says the following paces for endurance runs.
    Recovery Jogs 9:36 to 10:20
    Long Runs 8:34 to 9:51
    Easy Runs 8:29 to 9:30

I have been consistently doing my easy and long runs at paces that are faster than this, usually around 8:00 or just below.
    So Scott, you would categorize that as a junk run right?? I should be slowing down a little for my endurance runs and then I need to add some tempo runs for the stamina.

Thanks for the assistance as always!
  • laureltn
    Options
    Thanks, Scott! Now there's a bike event my husband is hinting about and of course it's in September too. I won't train for anything huge, but a 35-miler would be a nice cross train. Just working is getting in the way of my exercise hobbies. :)

I will take a look at the days/numbers/miles and come up with something that will give me, I hope, the most payoff in the end. I'm so blessed to be doing this well already, though, I could really go out tomorrow and be very satisfied to just finish within my limits and enjoy the experience. I keep saying no full marathons, but I never thought I'd want to do a half either, so we'll see.

DG, feel free to hijack. I always learn when reading what others ask/say and love listening to runners talk about running!

L
  • scottb81
    Options
    I'm hijacking this topic to talk about me :smile:

I ran a 5k on Saturday and managed to run a PR of 22:59 (my goal was 23:00 :smile:)

I put my numbers into the calculator and it says the following paces for endurance runs.
    Recovery Jogs 9:36 to 10:20
    Long Runs 8:34 to 9:51
    Easy Runs 8:29 to 9:30

I have been consistently doing my easy and long runs at paces that are faster than this, usually around 8:00 or just below.
    So Scott, you would categorize that as a junk run right?? I should be slowing down a little for my endurance runs and then I need to add some tempo runs for the stamina.

Thanks for the assistance as always!
    The pace you are running is close enough that you are still getting aerobic benefit. Your race time shows that. However, you will also get the benefit at the slower pace and will not be so tired afterwards. That leaves you fresh enough to then do the hard runs at their pace and also fresh enough to run more miles if you want to.

Once you start running higher mileage with everyday runs and hard runs a couple of times a week and a long run on the weekend you are pretty much forced to run easy and recovery pace a lot to allow for recovery from the harder efforts. If you are taking a day off between runs then running easy and recovery paces is less important.