Really bummed - no loss first week

Options
Hi all! This is my first post here, and I wish it wasn't such a downer post, but I'm pretty disappointed/frustrated at the moment and could use some support. I decided I really wanted to lose some serious weight and chose to go low-carb and start running to lose as much as possible. For the last week, I've been eating very healthy (5xday, about 1200-1500cals, and only carbs from fruits/veggies). At the recommendation of my fitness buff husband, I've also been running/walking 1.3-3.9 miles/day (more running than walking, usually at the longer end of the range, and pushing a double-stroller).

BUT, I am actually UP .2lbs from last week :( I'm so disappointed, this is the hardest I've ever worked in my life at the dieting and to see no loss is very frustrating. I was down 2lbs by the middle of the week, so I was really getting excited to see a big loss, but then the scale started tracking up.

I could go harder and cut out all carbs and dairy, I suppose, but I am still breastfeeding a few times a day and don't want to hurt my supply. I could also push the water a bit more, but I've been sure to get at least 5 glasses/day. Or, on the flip side, now I'm wondering if low-carb maybe isn't the best diet for me? I've tried it once before and didn't lose then, either.

I'm open to suggestions, but I'm really looking for is encouragement or to here from others who have been there.

Replies

• gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    First of all, make sure you're drinking enough water.

Secondly, in terms of the diet, just keep doing what you're doing for another week and see what happens. I have found that there seems to be a small delayed effect on weight change. I don't know why it happens, but that's what I've experienced.

If you really need immediate gratification, you may want to consider cutting back on the exercising for now, but if you can stick to your diet without seeing the immediate change in weight, I'd say you should just keep on going.
  • shannonsky
    shannonsky Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Wait, why cut back on the exercising? One of hubby's theories was that I gained some muscle from the running, but that just doesn't make sense to me. I feel like if I went out day one and ran 1+ miles with that darn stroller, then I'm probably not growing too much muscle from it. I could see that if my muscles were totally atrophied and I was starting from just a walk or something...and even if I did gain some muscle, I would think that there should still be some fat loss?
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    1200-1500 cals is not enough if you're doing all that cardio, and breastfeeding a few times a day too. I think if you are breastfeeding a few times a day, work out your TDEE for a woman your height and weight and activity level who isn't breastfeeding, then eat that. The breastfeeding will then give you a deficit to lose fat slowly and safely.

Remember that the calories you expend breastfeeding is not just the actual calories in the milk you produce, breasts are very metabolically active and it takes a fair amount of energy (calories) to produce the milk. If your baby's feeding several times a day, then that is going to be a lot of calories. IMO you should be eating at least the TDEE of a woman your height/weight and activity level who's not breastfeeding.
  • redmapleleaf
    redmapleleaf Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You are correct and your hubby is wrong. You did not gain muscle from one week of running.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    patience
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Don't rely too much on the scale. A healthy person can weight just as much as an unhealthy person depending on differences in muscle mass. Take measurements (hips, thighs, waist...etc) and compare from beginning to a few weeks later. You won't need to take the measurements to justify "success" when you start feeling your clothes fitting better.

The scale just provides a number...don't get hung up on it!
  • emmaruns
    emmaruns Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I definitely think more water will help. I also think that your muscles are likely holding more water as they repair from the newly introduced exercise. Stick with it and maybe use a pair of pants that are too snug now to monitor your progress along with the scale. I've seen (in the past, getting back into it now) that the weeks where I had the smallest scale loss (and yes, sometimes undeserved and frustrating gains like what you experienced) are also the weeks with the best loss in inches (and really, isn't that more important?:)

Good luck! Friend me if you want, too!
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    First, gaining muscle and/or losing fat takes MUCH longer than 1 week to see any significant results - any changes you're seeing in the span of 1 week are just going to be changes in water weight.

The above poster suggested cutting back on exercise because any new-to-you exercise will be taxing muscles that you're not used to using very much. This causes inflammation in the muscles, which will hold onto extra water and nutrients while they repair. If your muscles are even remotely sore from exercise (or even a little after the soreness goes away), you can expect to see short-term water weight gain - it's perfectly normal, and actually a good thing, because it means you're working your muscles.

Bottom line: if you want to see "fast" weight loss, you need to keep eating right and *not* exercise too much. But keep in mind that the "fast" weight loss you see is still likely only a loss of water weight; fat loss will take on the order of months, not days. Exercise will help you gain muscle and lose fat (depending on the type of exercise), but again, you're not going to see this immediately.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Well, stick it out another week and see. My scale can show a few pounds difference from day to day so they just fluctuate. Also, if you had some high sodium intake recently you will retain water and if you had any strength training recently your "healing" muscles are retaining water.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    1200-1500 cals is not enough if you're doing all that cardio, and breastfeeding a few times a day too. I think if you are breastfeeding a few times a day, work out your TDEE for a woman your height and weight and activity level who isn't breastfeeding, then eat that. The breastfeeding will then give you a deficit to lose fat slowly and safely.

Remember that the calories you expend breastfeeding is not just the actual calories in the milk you produce, breasts are very metabolically active and it takes a fair amount of energy (calories) to produce the milk. If your baby's feeding several times a day, then that is going to be a lot of calories. IMO you should be eating at least the TDEE of a woman your height/weight and activity level who's not breastfeeding.

Absolutely this.

Also, you are only one week into this. Give it time. Sometimes I go weeks without seeing any progress, and gain a few pounds back, but then all of a sudden the extra weight is gone and I've lost two pounds on top of it. Just stick with it. Remember, this isn't only about losing weight, but about being healthy. Take your time and do it right!

Good luck!
  • Spanntastic12
    Options
    One week is much too soon to gauge by. Give it some time and i'm sure with what you are doing you will drop done. either see inches or weight drop some.
  • tobeyourthinspo
    Options
    I'd say that water is most definitely key! It fills you up without adding the calories plus it keeps you hydrated while you work out!
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    It sounds like you aren't eating enough. A nearly 4-mile run with a stroller is probably burning close to 500 calories. So, even at 1500 consumed, you are netting 1,000. LESS than that on days you don't eat 1500. Then add in the breastfeeding, you aren't getting enough food. Your body will not shed weight if it's not being properly nourished.

I also would cut out 2 days of exercise. Your body needs rest days to be successful.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    And, i forgot to mention, scew the low carb diet. If you are running every day, your body needs carbs for fuel. Eat a BALANCED diet.
  • benich3043
    benich3043 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    What is your sodium intake like? If you had a meal high in sodium prior to a weigh-in you could just be retaining mor water than what you were earlier in the week. The more water you drink, the less you will retain. Keep in mind your weight can fluctuate as much as five pounds throughout the week. An increase of .2 lbs is not a bad thing. Keep up the cardio and up your water intake.

My wife is also still breastfeeding and she does not take into account the calories burned by producing milk. I dont know how often you feed, but i would say for her it is about three to five times a day.

Keep working and don't give up. I did'nt see any big numbers lost until about two weeks in.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

This times infinity!!!

You need more calories when you breastfeed and exercise a lot. Diet is for weight loss, exercise is for fitness. Also, if you want to lose as much as possible, you need to cut running every day and start weight training. Weight lifting increase fat loss and will prevent muscle loss. You may lose a few lbs more doing all cardio, but you will suffer by losing muscle.

Also, how much weight do you have to lose? You might be over extending your goal. Below are general guidelines to follow. So a person with 20 lbs from a normal weight (not their goal weight) can't aim to lose 2 lbs a week. You don't have enough fat stores to support energy. And aiming for high weight loss will increase muscle loss. Additionally, you can't gain muscle doing cardio, let alone do it on a calorie deficit.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    You probably are not seeing a lot of muscle gain yet. It is probably water retention. You have significantly increased the demand you are putting on your legs. This causes the muscles to get tiny microscopic tears. While the muscles are repairing themselves, they pull water to the "injured" area. Combined with the fact that you are not getting enough water (if you are breastfeeding and exercising for extended periods, you probably need more than 8 cups of water.

Also, you may want to talk to your doctor about going that low on your calories while breastfeeding. I wasn't able to breastfeed, but from what I remember when I tried was that the breastfeeding woman is not supposed to go below a certain number of calories...since my kiddo is 5, I don't remember how many that was.

I don't think I would cut out dairy while breastfeeding. Seems like a good place to get some protein.

Good luck!
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Something is incorrect in this equation. I am almost in the same boat as you. I'm not breastfeeding, but I cut out most carbs, aside from fruits and veggies (I say most because if I make dinner and want a bite of mashed potatoes, I have a bite. I have about 10 carbs a day from starches) I personally also limit my cardio to 20-30 minutes a day and do weights 30+ minutes.

If you are breastfeeding, my guess is that 1,200-1,500 is NOT enough intake. That is my usual intake and I don't breastfeed.

Stock up on a ton of water. Low carb is (generally) higher sodium. Shoot for 10-12 cups of water per day.

I've lost 5lbs in one week (3 days prior to TOM and 4 days on TOM!) so this equation is bound to work, it may just need to be modified.
  • shannonsky
    Options

What is TDEE? I'm. assuming it has something to do with the caloric intake? Sorry, I'm new :)
  • shannonsky
    Options
    First, gaining muscle and/or losing fat takes MUCH longer than 1 week to see any significant results - any changes you're seeing in the span of 1 week are just going to be changes in water weight.

The above poster suggested cutting back on exercise because any new-to-you exercise will be taxing muscles that you're not used to using very much. This causes inflammation in the muscles, which will hold onto extra water and nutrients while they repair. If your muscles are even remotely sore from exercise (or even a little after the soreness goes away), you can expect to see short-term water weight gain - it's perfectly normal, and actually a good thing, because it means you're working your muscles.

Bottom line: if you want to see "fast" weight loss, you need to keep eating right and *not* exercise too much. But keep in mind that the "fast" weight loss you see is still likely only a loss of water weight; fat loss will take on the order of months, not days. Exercise will help you gain muscle and lose fat (depending on the type of exercise), but again, you're not going to see this immediately.

Aaah, OK, that makes sense. And does make me feel better. Thank you.