Can I Reach My Goal Without Exercise?

Options
I really hate exercise. A lot. So I'm wondering if any of you have managed to reach your goal or get close to reaching your goal just by counting your calories? Because even though I know exercise is good for you, I don't wanna do it unless I really gotta.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I really hate exercise. A lot. So I'm wondering if any of you have managed to reach your goal or get close to reaching your goal just by counting your calories? Because even though I know exercise is good for you, I don't wanna do it unless I really gotta.
    While you can do it with no exercise (it may take much longer than you think), you WILL lose a good amount of lean muscle if you DON'T exercise while doing it. And when that happens, you'll usually look the SAME just a smaller version of yourself in most cases.
    People hate exercise for numerous reasons, but the main reason is because they haven't found an activity they actually like. So try to find a physical activity you enjoy and make that your exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • eayal002
    eayal002 Posts: 186
    Options
    While you can do it with no exercise (it may take much longer than you think), you WILL lose a good amount of lean muscle if you DON'T exercise while doing it. And when that happens, you'll usually look the SAME just a smaller version of yourself in most cases.
    People hate exercise for numerous reasons, but the main reason is because they haven't found an activity they actually like. So try to find a physical activity you enjoy and make that your exercise.

IDEA Fitness member

^^^This and add, exercise is much more than just loosing the weight. Do it because of the health benefits. The hardest step is that first one, they get easier and the more you do it the more you will enjoy the benefits. Exercise can be just going to a 20 min walk, start once a day then do a morning and evening walk just 20 min and as your body starts getting used to the movement you'll be looking forward to the exercise.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    In my experience, no, you can't lose a significant amount of weight without exercise. I agree that you should try to find an activity that you enjoy and do it. The health benefits are enormous.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to just reach a certain weight or body fat percentage, yes, you can. You will likely be sort of a weak stick-figure of a person when you get there, but you'd have reached your goal.

Some amount of physical activity is necessary for fitness. It doesn't necessarily have to all be "exercise" that you schedule like a chore; just walking or riding a bicycle around instead of driving, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, and other such little changes can help somewhat.

Are there any sports that you liked when you were a kid? If you find something you enjoy doing, it'll be a huge help.
  • nataliexxxx
    nataliexxxx Posts: 262
    Options
    You can but it will take longer than if you don't exercise! Once you get closer to your goal it will become harder to lose weight and exercise will help, also people usually look better if they have exercised.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I am sure you can. You will just need to be REALLY diligent about your eating. And it could take longer and be more difficult. I also really dislike exercising, but I do know it helps speed things up and building muscle helps burn the fat. But, I do know you CAN do it without exercise!
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercise...people who get sick lose a lot of weight when they can't eat...BUT that does nothing for toning. I can lose 20 lbs easy but if I don't exercise to me it feels like it just "hangs" there. Even a little bit of exercise will help tone while you lose. Ps..I HATE exercising too :) I have found the best exercise for me is walking. Grab a buddy and walk even if it's just for half an hour a couple of times a week. I'm pulling for you!!
  • SherriLibrarian
    Options
    Like others said, you can do it but it will be much slower. I've exercised very little in the past year- and gained 25 pounds! Since starting MFP, I've been motivated to exercise because I can eat more calories on the days that I do.

I'm not really an athlete, so it took me a while to find the right exercise (or exercises). The best thing about exercise is it makes me less hungry and gives me more energy. Walking is the easiest exercise I do - Iliaten to podcasts or audiobooks to help the time pass. I've even "walked" inside to Walking Off the Pounds videos. The Wii has some fun exercise programs too..You can just exercise 20-30 minutes a day. Every little bit helps.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Substitute the words play or activity for exercise. Is there a sport you enjoy? Hiking? Walking? Swimming? Cycling? Do it for fun rather than because "you should".

Increasing your activity level won't necessarily speed up your weight loss but is offers so many other health benefits and improves your feeling of well being.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

^^^This and add, exercise is much more than just loosing the weight. Do it because of the health benefits. The hardest step is that first one, they get easier and the more you do it the more you will enjoy the benefits. Exercise can be just going to a 20 min walk, start once a day then do a morning and evening walk just 20 min and as your body starts getting used to the movement you'll be looking forward to the exercise.

Yup, all of this.

The real question is - what is your goal? Is your goal to lose weight as it appears on the scale, or is your goal to be healthy? If it's the first one then yup, you can likely do it. If it's the second one, absolutely NOT.

As others have noted, just because the numbers on the scale are dropping doesn't mean it's the numbers you WANT to be dropping. Is it muscle mass you're losing? The heart is a muscle - are you losing muscle mass there? Bone mass? Do you still have visceral fat around your internal organs?

I would challenge you to really think about and state your goal.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Oh and yes - even just going for walks is a great place to start. Do you like to dance? Do yoga? Hula hoop? I would also challenge you to find one FUN thing you like, that gets your body moving.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You absolutely CAN lose weight without exercise. I am proof ..... I've done it MANY times.

That's the problem though, not being able to keep the weight off. The "new" smaller you will require fewer calories to maintain your new weight. Your choice is A) diet for the rest of your life or B) learn to love some sort of activity, this gives you a cushion.

For exercise - my "no-brainer" go to girl is Leslie Sansone "Walk at Home." This works for me because it's "excuse proof." The I can't walk today because it's too hot (too cold, rainy, etc.) doesn't work. No equipment needed, just pop in a DVD and move. I can even use my own music.
  • JmeHarris
    JmeHarris Posts: 38
    Options
    That's what I was afraid of. Maybe I'll ride my bike to classes from now on, that's probably about 5 miles round trip. Hopefully my legs don't turn to jelly on the way home!
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    You can, because weight loss really all comes down to calories in versus calories out. But losing weight by diet alone is a good way to get "skinny fat". Nobody wants to be there, trust me - it's where I am right now.

Before I had my youngest, I worked hard to get to my goal weight so that I could start out my pregnancy healthy. I've never enjoyed sports or exercise. But we have a stationary bike and I made myself ride it 5 days a week for 30 minutes at a time. I had to force myself to do it for about 3 weeks. After that, I started noticing that I felt better and slept better. My endurance was better and I didn't feel so worn out all the time. It's worth it! You will begin to want to exercise, even if it still doesn't seem particularly fun to you.

Plus, eating at a calorie deficit low enough to lose 1 lb a week can be difficult. Getting that extra 200 calories (approx) from a workout can make a big difference. There were days when I decided I could eat a particular meal, but that I HAD to work out later to make up for the calories. It's a great motivator.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Appearance is a byproduct of fitness.

A person that looks like they sit on the couch too much, partaking in too many chips while doing so, may diet down so that they evenutally look like someone that sits on the couch too much. If you wish to look active and athletic, you have to actually be active and athletic.