Not complaining, but a little concerned...

Options
Hi everyone! I just started using this site two weeks ago. In my first week I only lost 1 lb, but I just weighed in this morning and my scale said I had lost 6! This was kind of unexpected for me, since I've only been trying to lose 1-2 lbs per week. I am thrilled that I've lost so much in such a short time, but I'm also a little concerned. The last time I was following a "diet" instead of a lifestyle change, I lost 7 lbs in the first week, and lost more weight relatively quickly, but I gained it all back later. My food diary is open, I'm not following a strict "diet;" I'm still eating what I want, just monitoring quantities and calorie intake. I'm also trying to exercise as often as possible. In my eating habits, I'm trying to adhere to the "eat more weight less" philosophy, so I've been eating 5 to 6 small meals a day. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else (particularly females who are around 5'4 and started out at 220-230 lbs) has had a similar experience when first starting weight loss? Will my weight loss slow down after a while, or should I change up what I'm doing? I hesitate to increase my calorie intake because I don't want to gain back what I've just lost. Any input is appreciated! :)

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not open.

I suggest you wait a couple more weeks before you draw any conclusions. You could have lost a lot of water weight; your body naturally fluctuates by a few pounds either way. If you continue to lose 6 pounds a week you will need to take a look at what you're doing, but I'm guessing that won't happen.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It isn't unusual or alarming to have large losses in the first few weeks, assuming you're eating a healthy, balanced diet and not too few calories. It's usually your body letting go of water weight, especially if you weren't well-hydrated before and started drinking more water with the change in lifestyle.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    In the first couple of weeks you can lose a lot of weight from water.

If it doesn't start going slower in a couple of weeks, you should up your calories and/or ask your doctor.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the big losses because it will slow down. I once lost 9 pounds in my first couple weeks. Oh boy did it slow down after that. Usually it is just sodium and swelling going away. :) Keep it up!
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are on the right track. Keep on keepin' on.
  • cerwin17
    cerwin17 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Oops, sorry about that. Diary is public now.
  • cerwin17
    Options
    I have been drinking a lot more water than I have in the past.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    First off, CONGRATULATIONS! It's great to see you turning to a lifestyle change rather than a "diet". From someone who has been there, the weight always comes back. Always. You can't live off of carrot sticks and egg whites all your life.

That said, a healthier lifestyle may have simply shocked your system into retaining for the first few weeks. When your body receives less energy (calories) it can panic and hold on to what you eat and drink for fear of starvation. The rapid loss of 6 pounds could be many things. Less sodium means less water retention, so you could have very easily lost 6lbs of water weight. Another possibility is the way certain foods behave in your body. A healthier diet usually means more fibre and less binding foods such as cheese. A healthier digestive system means less bloating and consequently less weight sitting in your tummy.

By all means, celebrate! I am in no way minimizing your progress. Just keep going, tomorrow you could be down another 3 or up another 2. Body weight fluctuates on a number of factors. Record your weight on here only once a week, even if you weigh more often. I personally like to observe my fluctuations and will weigh almost every morning, but will only record the Monday morning weight. Your long term loss is where you should base your success. In another couple of weeks, if the progress graph slops down, you are succeeding.

My diary is open, so feel free to take a look. Also, you are more than welcome to add me as a friend :happy:
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    You seem to be doing well on the calories, but may want to watch the amount of processed foods you eat. Theres a lot of pasta and bread. Maybe eat some more veg and protein and get carbs from things like brown rice, oats (which you already eat) and try introducing some more healthy but delicious snacks, like nuts. Maybe make sure you buy natural peanut butter, sans sugar and oils. :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You seem to be doing well on the calories, but may want to watch the amount of processed foods you eat. Theres a lot of pasta and bread. Maybe eat some more veg and protein and get carbs from things like brown rice, oats (which you already eat) and try introducing some more healthy but delicious snacks, like nuts. Maybe make sure you buy natural peanut butter, sans sugar and oils. :)

What does that have to do with her question?
  • amy1612
    Options

What does that have to do with her question?

'or should I change up what I'm doing?'
  • nayers86
    nayers86 Posts: 60
    Options
    First off, do not be concerned. When I first started making diet changes and working out at 5'6'' 226 lbs, the weight came flying off and quickly. As your body adjusts to your changes you will probably slow down and plateau, a normal progression with weight loss. Just be careful if'/when you do decide to stop dieting. If you change back to old habits you will more than likely put the weight back on. Weight loss is something that in order to suceed at you need to make a serious long-term commitment to. It's a battle, but it's worth it in the end.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    congratulations and welcome to the MFP community. I think everyone above has already said it but a quick drop at the start is normal for any diet and is usally associated with water weight as much as anything else.
  • cerwin17
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips! I do plan on making this a serious commitment in my life, as my overall goal is to lose 100 lbs, however long that may take me. I'm trying to incorporate more whole natural foods into my diet, but I am a broke college student :P So I have to do things on a budget. Healthy food usually = expensive food, at least from my experience...if anyone also has any foods they enjoy that are healthy and also cheap, feel free to tell me!
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    right now fresh fruits and veggies are cheap! See if there is a farmers market or stand in your area. That is usually a pretty good deal. Reap the benefits of summer.
  • amy1612
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips! I do plan on making this a serious commitment in my life, as my overall goal is to lose 100 lbs, however long that may take me. I'm trying to incorporate more whole natural foods into my diet, but I am a broke college student :P So I have to do things on a budget. Healthy food usually = expensive food, at least from my experience...if anyone also has any foods they enjoy that are healthy and also cheap, feel free to tell me!

Im also living on a budget :),will reply properly tomorrow when back at my como with some things I find cheap and awesome :)
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I lost four pounds my FIRST DAY of changing my eating habits. Needless to say this trend has not continued, LOL. It's probably water weight that dropped when you lowered your sodium intake.
  • nataliexxxx
    nataliexxxx Posts: 262
    Options
    It is probably water weight since you only lost a little the first week
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    If you want to try the eat more to weigh less strategy I would suggest joining the group, they have tons of info on how to lose slowly. They are also a very supportive group!
  • JanelleEathorne
    JanelleEathorne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I lost 4 pounds my first week on MFP!! I was worried too! Thanks for posting this... it makes me feel better! In the past I was lucky to drink 2 cups of water! I am positive that my change is mostly water. What I am looking forward to is a change in the way my clothing fits!!! =)