Not losing weight b/c I'm not eating enough carbs??

Options
torpina
torpina Posts: 24 Member
Hi everyone,

Been working out and eating paleo for 3 months now. Was away the past few days and ate very poorly, yesterday included. Have only been tracking my 1300 calories for about 10 days because I think even though I was eating healthy before on paleo, I ate too much. I have had good days and bad days of eating. In any case, I have only had a 1 1/2 lbs weight loss in 3 months! I must be doing something incredibly wrong, right??

I've been trying (except for yesterday) to eat very few carbs, less than 50g a day. Wondering if it's possible that I eat too little carbs for weight loss to occur. Is that possible?

Some history: 140 pounds, 5'3, pear shaped. Started 3 months ago working out HIIT and resistance training 3X a week.
According to naturopath's measurements, I'm actually not gaining muscle (losing it or keeping it steady) and am gaining some body fat.

Any expert advice would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to add me as a friend too. Thanks.

Replies

• jkr12
    jkr12 Posts: 31
    Options
    First of all, even if you're eating Paleo, it's calories in, calories out. Anyone can out eat a great workout. That whole 'don't worry about calories' paleo camp is mostly because a lot of people get fuller on all the vegetables and protein, so you eat less and stay satisfied longer. I've always calorie counted on Paleo.

Second, Paleo isn't a magical wand. You'll still have to work for weight loss. I stalled on Paleo just like I stalled when i was off Paleo. Tweak a few things and see if they work.

A lot of people that eat Paleo are also low-carbers because it naturally goes that way without breads and processed foods. Some people will try and go into ketosis by eating 25 carbs a day (mostly from veggies). I've never done that so I can't speak to advice there. But people DO lose on low carbs, even lower than 50. If that's sustainable for you, go for it. I personally stay Paleo but keep my carbs around 100-150 because that's the lifestyle I will sustain.

Take a look at your workouts. Do they need tweaking? Are you getting cardio in and weight training?

Start tracking and you'll probably see a difference. Also, if you eat breads or grains after not having them for awhile, you'll put on wwater weight. Just be aware of that. :)

Good luck!
  • torpina
    torpina Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply!1