Was told Do Not Run!

2»

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Medical advice from a medical practitioner....

Sorry to say, but a Nurse is not your psychiatrist. She isn't there to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

She is right to tell you about your exercise, because it is her job to ensure the health of anyone in her care. She is more qualified than you are in this field. You are letting your PRIDE get in the way of sound medical advice.

Heavier people are better off doing low impact exercises such as swimming and cycling.

As for mentioning the vein thing, this is also just a fact. Really skinny people tend to have very obvious veins showing.

Would you prefer EVERYONE around you at ALL times walk on egg shells when discussing anything weight related? Should the world totally ignore the issue and pretend it doesn't exist?

In a word: Bullsh!t.

This woman was not a nurse or a doctor, so I don't think the use of the term "medical practitioner" is very accurate. But even if she was, she was definitely NOT qualified to give exercise advice. And it is inappropriate in a medical setting for people who are not your specific caregivers to give unsolicited advice. They know nothing about your past, they know nothing about your body, they know nothing about your medical or exercise histories. Even I would never say anything like that unsolicited and out of the blue and I am more qualified to give fitness advice in a medical setting than 95% of all doctors and nurses.

The last comment she made was just boorish. Making public comments about someone's weight or size is a policy violation at any medical facility I have ever worked.

And spare me the "tough love" exhortations as well. When you are overweight, you do not give up your human dignity. It is not "walking on eggshells" to expect to be treated with respect.

Newsflash: Overweight people KNOW they are overweight. They don't need to walk through a gauntlet of self-righteous jerks every day pointing that out.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    I don't know. You were having a casual conversation with someone I presume was a health care worker. And she casually gave you some advice. Some true advice. Heavier people like you and me put more stress on our joints when running and jumping. This time out I actually put off running till I lost 25 pounds or so just to avoid a third surgery on my knees.

But I wasn't there. Maybe she could have phrased it better. Maybe she came off as condescending or rude. Maybe it wasn't her place. But if I'm having a conversation with someone I'm allowed to say what I want, and they can say what they want. And if we don't agree, that's good because I like hearing different opinions from my own. I wouldn't get so upset about it if I were you. Save the rage for your next run.

Not in that setting. If you work in a medical facility, you most definitely CANNOT "say what you want". Not even close.

The issue of whether or not "heavier" people should be running is a different issue from whether or not the conversation in this setting was appropriate or not. Certainly, we can have that general discussion at any time -- and THAT is when it is appropriate to express an opinion.
  • gogonunubean
    gogonunubean Posts: 160 Member
    My advice: Ask your doctor. If they say you can run, then run!

And always remember about crabs in a bucket........if you place a group of crabs in a bucket and one tried to escape, the others will try and bring then down again.

This lady may have been having a bad day, picked up a few pounds herself, had a fight with her boyfriend, been pms and was just feeling a little cranky. Or she may have been giving you what she thought was good advice, albeit in a rather hard way, but you can't control that - you can only control you. Don't let the crabs pull you down!!
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Keep on running!
  • urbansmamma
    urbansmamma Posts: 202 Member
    Medical advice from a medical practitioner....

Sorry to say, but a Nurse is not your psychiatrist. She isn't there to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

She is right to tell you about your exercise, because it is her job to ensure the health of anyone in her care. She is more qualified than you are in this field. You are letting your PRIDE get in the way of sound medical advice.

Heavier people are better off doing low impact exercises such as swimming and cycling.

As for mentioning the vein thing, this is also just a fact. Really skinny people tend to have very obvious veins showing.

Would you prefer EVERYONE around you at ALL times walk on egg shells when discussing anything weight related? Should the world totally ignore the issue and pretend it doesn't exist?

In a word: Bullsh!t.

This woman was not a nurse or a doctor, so I don't think the use of the term "medical practitioner" is very accurate. But even if she was, she was definitely NOT qualified to give exercise advice. And it is inappropriate in a medical setting for people who are not your specific caregivers to give unsolicited advice. They know nothing about your past, they know nothing about your body, they know nothing about your medical or exercise histories. Even I would never say anything like that unsolicited and out of the blue and I am more qualified to give fitness advice in a medical setting than 95% of all doctors and nurses.

The last comment she made was just boorish. Making public comments about someone's weight or size is a policy violation at any medical facility I have ever worked.

And spare me the "tough love" exhortations as well. When you are overweight, you do not give up your human dignity. It is not "walking on eggshells" to expect to be treated with respect.

Newsflash: Overweight people KNOW they are overweight. They don't need to walk through a gauntlet of self-righteous jerks every day pointing that out.

HALLELUJAH... Thank you for saying this!!!

Run and do what makes you happy. Sounds like you are doing great fellow runner!
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    I say Amen to Keep Runnin'! :drinker:

That's bull**** that you can't run... sure, it may be more difficult and you're putting more stress on your body with more weight, BUT, if you train smart, ease into it, and listen to your body, you can still be a badass heavier runner while you get to the weight you want. I'm sure the nurse or whoever meant well, but ultimately, if your doc says you're healthy enough for physical activity, don't pay any mind to naysayers.
  • What can I say? That was uncalled for.
  • larkiedeek
    larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
    I waited untill I had lost weight before I started to run. Since then I have 2 different injuries directly related to me running (adductor and mid-back muscle issue).

I think you are going to potentially have issues even if you are at your target weight. You can lessen the risk if you cross train with low impact activities.

Keep running!