too much calcium?

Options
sds76
sds76 Posts: 215 Member
I noticed on the mobil app last night that my calcium intake is high, like between 150-200% each day. I drink almond breeze milk(which has 50% more calcium than reg. milk I think) but I don't drink reg. milk due to lactose issues. I tried to change my macros so I could see where I was going over with the calcium but it won't let me change it (keeps saying error). Does anyone know how much calcium is too much?

Please forgive typos, my keyboard seems to be messing up on my laptop.

Thanks

Replies

• crimson_seven
    Options
    I've read on a few medical sites that the highest intake you should have is around 2,500mg per day. If you regularly go over that, you are at risk for hypercalcemia, where you can develop kidney stones and your organs may start to calcify.
  • sds76
    Options
    I don't have any idea on the grams...the mobile app just show percentages. Will the site just not track calcium for anyone or is it an error? Anyone know? I don't want to cause problem and I sure don't want kidney stones.

edited....I know I could do the math with the percentages but I really want to track it to see where the problem is. I have 2 1.5 cps of almond breeze each day which is 90% right there. hmmmm...maybe I need to go back to regular milk.
  • sds76
    Options
    okay, I know 2500 is the max amt they say but does anyone know how I can find out what MFP uses. Do they consider 1000g to be 100% or 2500g to be 100%. That would be a big difference.
    How would I find out what MFP bases the calcium percentage on? Anyone?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    you could look up the US RDI for calcium as a starter _ I would guess that' what MFP uses as 100%.

after a bit of fiddling I conclude that 100% = 1000 mg on a 2000 calorie diet.
  • sds76
    Options
    thanks...I looked up the RDI and it's 1000 so if MFP uses that then I guess I would be fine. Was panicking because hubby just had kidney stones and I don't want to go through what he did.

Thanks for the replies