Body fat & Muscle mass %

Besides losing pounds, I have goals of losing body fat and gaining muscle mass... I don't only focus on the scale because it does NOTHING for me to be at my goal weight and have 50% body fat and 22% muscle mass.. I want to change these numbers as well.. any help would be great!!

What are the best foods to make this happen... I do strength training already.. I'm more concerned about the "diet" aspect of it than the "exercise."

:) good luck with all your fitness and health goals!!!

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    You won't be able to really accomplish this goal.

You can add a VERY small amount of mass while dieting (if you weren't doing any weight training before). But that's it.

It deals with the anabolic/catabloic states of the body. What you'll want to do is focus on losing fat for now. Also continue weight lifting to ensure your muscles don't go away during this time.

Once your body fat % is adequately low enough, start eating a calorie surplus and start upping your weights. You will put on fat and muscle. Once the body fat % is too high for your liking, switch back to a fat burning diet and maintain the same weights in your work out.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    ^ what she said but I might add that muscles need protein.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    ^ what she said but I might add that muscles need protein.

He... and yes, muscles need protein. The entire body needs protein! It is as essential for weight loss as it is for muscle gain. The body spends a lot of energy repairing cells damaged by day to day activity (Even breathing oxygen damages cells). These cells need supplies to repair themselves. Protein. Without the protein, the body won't use the energy to repair itself. (Why would a carpenter work 8 hours building a staircase when he has no supplies?!)

So, yes. Protein.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    It's true that you can't do both at once. You have to "cut" (lose body fat), and then "bulk" (gain muscle). You cut by eating at a deficit, and bulk by eating at a surplus. However, you CAN appear much more muscular even without bulking. As you lift heavy and get rid of body fat, your muscles will SHOW a lot more, and you'll look better, even though you're not putting on mass. There are a few exceptions to this rule, but I don't feel like writing a book. In general, you have to do it in phases.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    I would say lean proteins, such as chicken breasts and fish, leafy greens such as spinach and romaine lettuce, and greek yogurt. Also if you can find a protein powder you like and can stomach, do that.

I personally make a smoothie post-workout every day with plain greek yogurt, plain almond or coconut milk (not a lot of protein but flavor and calcium with less calories than cow's milk), a cup of spinach, and a cup of cut fruit. I also add flaxseed and walnuts sometimes, as well as a half serving of protein powder. Ice cubes are optional, adding volume and making it nice and cold. This adds up to 4-500 calories, but it sure takes care of my hunger and calorie needs until lunch time...
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    as the posters have said above you can't increase muscle mass whilst on a deficit (to reduce fat).

But you can significantly decrease the Fat% and increase the Muscle Mass%.

If you can retain muscle whilst cutting fat your overall percentage body fat will go down and your percentage muscle mass will go up.

Retain as much muscle as possible by:

Incorporating strength exercise into your weekly activities
    Eating sufficient protein
    whilst eating at a moderate calorific deficit.

Best wishes
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    I've been wanting to ask (and I know everyone is a little different), but what kind of ratios are we looking at here?
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    I personally am "cutting" and I try to hit 40/30/30 p/c/f on weekdays and eat as healthy as I can within calories on weekends.

I don't have a specific date in mind to hit my goal, and I also know that MFP doesn't track my calories burned lifting weights (3x week). So on days I go over say 400-600 calories, I know it's no big deal. I just like to keep the macros consistant as I can M-F when I can control what and where I'm eating a little better.
  • Bri_Becq
    Bri_Becq Posts: 146 Member
    thanks for the advice everyone.. this explains and helps a ton.

last month while doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, I lost 7 lbs, 11 inches all around, lost 1.3% of body fat but only gained .5% of muscle mass.. but I got it. thanks again everyone!