MAINTENANCE! Now what?

Options
I'm now at my goal weight and moving into maintenance mode. How does everyone approach this?

MFP wants me to up my calories/carbs/fat. Calories by 230 and carbs by about 45. The carbs are what worry me the most. How should I increase? Slowly? Or go right into it?

Any suggestions from anyone else who is maintaining?

Replies

• sjweld
    sjweld Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I too am on Maintenance. How you approach it I think depends on if you have wiggle room to gain or loose a couple pounds as you figure it out.

Personally, I 've never second guessed the numbers MFP gave me, and I'm doing okay. I've been on maintenance for a couple of months now. Some days, because I go on several good walk each day, I just can't eat all my calories and during the week I often go down a couple pounds but I seem to put it back on come the weekend. LOL

Since everyone is different, I would suggest going with the numbers they have given you and keeping an eye on things. Make adjustments as needed until you settle on what works best for you.
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I too am on Maintenance. How you approach it I think depends on if you have wiggle room to gain or loose a couple pounds as you figure it out.

Personally, I 've never second guessed the numbers MFP gave me, and I'm doing okay. I've been on maintenance for a couple of months now. Some days, because I go on several good walk each day, I just can't eat all my calories and during the week I often go down a couple pounds but I seem to put it back on come the weekend. LOL

Since everyone is different, I would suggest going with the numbers they have given you and keeping an eye on things. Make adjustments as needed until you settle on what works best for you.

This helps! I will just go by what MFP says and if I start gaining I'll adjust the numbers.

Thank you!
  • jckwrmn
    jckwrmn Posts: 4
    Options
    Wow, I actually logged in today to ask this exact question. Congrats to you!

I am going to change my goal and follow MFP's numbers for awhile to see how it goes. But, I am also interested in ultimately getting off of strict logging. I've considered using the MFP guidance to plan rather than log, and leave a few hundred calories a day as buffer.

So, I'd plan my meals and snacks for the day, then have some flexibility for an unplanned lunch out with a colleague, small evening snacks with my kids, or a glass of wine with my wife.

Still thinking about this, and for now I am going to keep logging and keep following MFP's guidance. I've had too much luck with it to stop now!