Is my metabolism DEAD?

Options
Ok, so, I never bloged before but I really need to see if someone out there feels the same way I do.

I joined MFP many months ago but didnt really get serious until the middle of September, which is when I started to eat 1200 calories a day, running for 30 min and walking uphill for another 30 min 5 days a week.
The first week I lost 1 Lb, second week didnt lose anything, third week 1 Lb. And then I read about other people bloging that stared last month and lost 20 pounds! How is that possible? Is my metabolism dead? I am working so hard waking up at 6 am to go to the gym and giving up all kinds of goodies to lose 1 lb a week if I am lucky? Dont know what to do... :sad:

Replies

• ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    try upping your calories .... are you drinking lots of water??? Are you eating your exercise calories ??? My calories are set at 1360 but i dont generally eat all of them and yes i excercise 90 minutes or more but i dont eat any of my excercise calories (experimenting this month) .... good luck to you .. you can do this :wink:
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    If you're not used to so much exercise, your muscles are probably retaining water. Watch your sodium levels and keep up what you're doing*, you could even stand to eat a few more calories since you're exercising so much.

I started September 8th and have lost about 17 pounds so far (but I have a LOT to lose).

Just keep in mind that eating healthy and exercising *can't* be worse for you than whatever you were doing before that caused you to gain weight. Eventually the weight will start coming off.

*Edited for clarity
  • maricampomar07
    Options
    I drink lots of water and I am not eating my exercise calories. I thought that was what I was supposed to do...exercise and eat less.
  • LFlynnOC
    LFlynnOC Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I feel I am in the same boat. It seems the more I watch my calorie intake and work out, the harder it has become to lose weight. My mom just let me borrow the new Jillian Michaels book callled Master Your Metabolism. I am only thru the first chapter, but so far I like what I am reading and I heard it is a really good book. Maybe it can help you get on track. Good Luck!

Lisa from the OC
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    The people losing the 20# have more to lose than you do so yes at first they do lose alot! You can do this, I agree with above drink MORE water and maybe tweak the calories some!
  • Silver_Dream
    Silver_Dream Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    If you're not eating enough you could put your body in starvation mode. Which would hinder you losing weight. Make sure you are drinking lots of water, too. :flowerforyou:
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Ok, so, I never bloged before but I really need to see if someone out there feels the same way I do.

I joined MFP many months ago but didnt really get serious until the middle of September, which is when I started to eat 1200 calories a day, running for 30 min and walking uphill for another 30 min 5 days a week.
    The first week I lost 1 Lb, second week didnt lose anything, third week 1 Lb. And then I read about other people bloging that stared last month and lost 20 pounds! How is that possible? Is my metabolism dead? I am working so hard waking up at 6 am to go to the gym and giving up all kinds of goodies to lose 1 lb a week if I am lucky? Dont know what to do... :sad:

The people that lose 20 pounds in a month have a lot of weight to lose. You don't. What did you set your goal at? 2 pounds, 1 pound a week? If you set it to aggressive for your weight, you will struggle. There's tons of people on here that will help you out, so don't let getting down make you quit. Talk to someone before you throw your hand up and forget about it.
  • rmchan
    rmchan Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way! My husband and I are doing P90X the hardest workout i've ever done! He lost 14pds and several inches...I lost 2pds and 11/2 inches...I feel they had recommended too many calories for me...So I dropped them some (I'm eating 1400-1600 now). I was always thin and a sports goo roo! In face, I used to teach aerobics and train some....I gained 70pds during my pregnancy 7yrs ago and have never gotten it off! It's been frustrating! After I was finished with breastfeeding, I decided to do the diet pills thing...I believe it killed my metabolism!! So I went to a holistic doctor to check hormone/thyroid..came back normal? He told me he wanted me to eat low fat/low carb- (South Beach Diet) that at my age (40) my metabolism is slowing down. Anyway, try eating less carbs (more veggies), low sugar and eat a few more calories...and continue to exercise! Get the scales out of the way..only weigh once a week, drink lots of water! Eat every 21/2 hours something.. protein as snacks or veggies. Don't give up! I did and now i'm starting over but this is working!
  • chgudnitz
    Options
    I felt the same way! My husband and I are doing P90X the hardest workout i've ever done! He lost 14pds and several inches...I lost 2pds and 11/2 inches...I feel they had recommended too many calories for me...So I dropped them some (I'm eating 1400-1600 now). I was always thin and a sports goo roo! In face, I used to teach aerobics and train some....I gained 70pds during my pregnancy 7yrs ago and have never gotten it off! It's been frustrating! After I was finished with breastfeeding, I decided to do the diet pills thing...I believe it killed my metabolism!! So I went to a holistic doctor to check hormone/thyroid..came back normal? He told me he wanted me to eat low fat/low carb- (South Beach Diet) that at my age (40) my metabolism is slowing down. Anyway, try eating less carbs (more veggies), low sugar and eat a few more calories...and continue to exercise! Get the scales out of the way..only weigh once a week, drink lots of water! Eat every 21/2 hours something.. protein as snacks or veggies. Don't give up! I did and now i'm starting over but this is working!

You're doing p90x every day and only eating 1400-1600 calories? Not enough, you will jack yourself up in the long run doing that.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of water and I am not eating my exercise calories. I thought that was what I was supposed to do...exercise and eat less.

Eat your exercise calories. You are probably not getting enough calories. If you burn 200+ calories during an exercise and are eating 1200 calories a day, you are getting into 1000 calories which could be starvation mode. So, be sure to eat those back! :flowerforyou:
  • rmchan
    rmchan Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Well I was eating the recommended amount from the P90X Nutritional Guide and after 6 weeks I had only lost 2pds and 11/2 inches...so yeah I lowered my intake? What else should I do? I did add a few more good carbs (he recommended only 1 carb..i changed to 2) only eat whole wheat though...cause I felt I was "Bonking" without them...
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    A pound a week is a reasonable amount of weight to lose if a) you only have 20 or so to go and b) you want to keep it off.

People that have 75 or 100 pounds to lose can do it a lot quicker initially than people who are nearing the finish line. If you know your maintenance calories and subtract 500 from that (plus any exercise calories), you may be able to convince your body to let go of the weight steadily.
  • chgudnitz
    Options
    Well I was eating the recommended amount from the P90X Nutritional Guide and after 6 weeks I had only lost 2pds and 11/2 inches...so yeah I lowered my intake? What else should I do? I did add a few more good carbs (he recommended only 1 carb..i changed to 2) only eat whole wheat though...cause I felt I was "Bonking" without them...

p90x is designed to gain muscle. Go back to eating what they told you to. If you are doing it right, you are more than likely actually starving yourself.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: lift weights you need some mucsles
  • jnsangel33
    Options
    I actually read something in a magazine the other day that I am trying. Every day for 2 weeks, put the juice from either half of a lemon or half of a lime in your water 2-3 times each day. Then after the two weeks you can do it only once per day but do it in the morning. This is supposed to boost your metabolism by UP TO 78%. It says that after the 2 weeks you should begin to see the lbs melting away faster than they are now. I am about at my first week. Good luck to you!! I am stuck, as well and am trying anything. I also just blogged for the first time today begging for help as I haven't moved in weight in about a month. I hope everything works out for you!!!

278680.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Plans
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    If you're not eating enough you could put your body in starvation mode. Which would hinder you losing weight. Make sure you are drinking lots of water, too. :flowerforyou:

Starvation Mode is a myth................
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

For the 1200 calories you are eating, what is the quality of those calories?

Are you eating enough protein, veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds, natural, wholesome good for you things???

Are you eating enough fat in your eating plan? Remember that it takes fat to burn fat and fat is not your enemy. Animal fats are not bad for you either, as they are natural occurring. Stay away from man made fats, such as Most trans fats..........

As others have mentioned, you don't have a lot to lose, so your going to lose at a slower pace than someone that has 50, 75, or 100+ pounds to lose.

Stay drinking your water and exercising.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Animal fats are not bad for you either, as they are natural occurring. Stay away from man made fats, such as Most trans fats..........

I'm not trying to argue that animal fats are bad, but one of my biggest pet peeves is when someone says something is good for you because it's natural. It may be good for you for other reasons, but "because it's natural" is NOT the reason.

Rattlesnake venom is natural.
  • chgudnitz
    Options

Starvation Mode is a myth................

You usually have a more solid foundation to what you post than that. How is it a myth? If you starve yourself, you will slow down your metabolism. It's a fact.