Is fast food really THAT bad?

Options

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,228 Member
    Options
    No it isn't THAT bad. As Sidesteal said, having it occasionally is just fine. Fit it in your calories, and if possible in your macros.
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    OP have you ever seen Super Size Me?

It's a must.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't personally eat it but that's because since I started eating better, my body doesn't handle it very well anymore. It has a tendency to make me quite ill when I eat it. So, I avoid it.

However, to me it is like anything else - you don't HAVE to give it up if you enjoy it. Simply learn to eat it in moderation. I eat what I want, when I want it - I just make sure I follow serving sizes and am reasonable about what I'm eating.

Some people will swear fast food will kill you if you eat it.. my response to them is no one gets out of life, alive. So, calm down, relax and live a little.

If you like it, have it. If you don't, don't.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    you may be within your caloric goal but fast food doesn’t offer any nutritional benefits, so i wouldn’t recommend making it a habit. maybe once a week is a fair amount? When I eat fast food I order a kids meal and water. Soda is wasted calories (to me at least) since you don’t really taste what you’re drinking when eating. And smaller portions = less calories.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It isn't that bad when you don't eat it too often. I had Harvey's yesterday, cheeseburger and poutine so I just had to weigh myself this morning out of curiously (sunday is weigh in day so i had yesterdays weight already) and I was exactly the same, sodium be damned. :)
    Some people will eat it weekly, others don't want to or can't because it causes them to fall off the wagon completely.
    Preplan to fit it into your goals and enjoy.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    OP have you ever seen Super Size Me?

It's a must.

Come on. He ate it for 3 meals a day for 30 days. That is A LOT different (and not comparable) to someone who eats it once in awhile. Good grief. I don't even eat fast food and your post is plain silly to me.
  • rebeccasedwards
    Options
    We eat fast food some. But I make the best choices I can. If I want fries my family will give me the few that satisfy my craving without blowing my diet. Yes, it is hard to watch them eat some of their choices but I'm doing what's best for me.
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    If you can fit it in on occasion, fine. Personally the standard MFP does not track sodium and I started tracking it. It is amazing how often you can have calories left over yet the sodium is over the amt. This definately happens to me on my fast food days.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    i realize that fast food isnt entirely healthy, but its not intended to be eaten on a daily basis either. my weakness is mcdonald's fries sadly. the other day i had a fish sandwich, med fries and med diet dr pepper from there which added up to 760 calories, 87 carbs, 37 fat and 20 in protein.

i was still able to remain within my daily goals in MFP. so should i stop eating there even if it doesnt put me over my daily limits? does it do some other unhealthy things that MFP just doesnt keep track of?

As long as you're doing what you say you're doing--eating it on occasion--it's perfectly fine to eat it once in a while and it will not affect you medically.
  • OhKelsey1
    OhKelsey1 Posts: 139
    Options
    All of that was really only around 700? Whoa. That said, it's not GOOD for your body because it's salty and fatty and not prepared well, but it won't kill your progress as long as you keep to your calorie count. I haven't had fast food in awhile, mostly because I'm used to eating smaller meals and I would feel heavy and unhappy having that many calories at once. But if I do, I usually go for kids' meals or small servings off the dollar menu. Still getting the fix, but not having a 700-1000 calorie meal.
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    i realize that fast food isnt entirely healthy, but its not intended to be eaten on a daily basis either. my weakness is mcdonald's fries sadly. the other day i had a fish sandwich, med fries and med diet dr pepper from there which added up to 760 calories, 87 carbs, 37 fat and 20 in protein.

i was still able to remain within my daily goals in MFP. so should i stop eating there even if it doesnt put me over my daily limits? does it do some other unhealthy things that MFP just doesnt keep track of?

Funny because yesterday I posted the same thing. I ate like crap within my cal range and then hit a wall.. Bloated and lethargic. You should eat foods with nutrional value ...sure its fine for a treat but it should only be a treat.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I try to stay away from fast food (typical hamburgers, french fries soda) just because even though I can keep within my calories my body cannot do anything with it. It's like I just filled up my car with diesel instead of gasoline, it doesn't know what to do with it. Then the next day I have a horrible time working out. I still eat it sometimes, but never fails I always end up taking the punishment from it.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Another thing to think about - are you eating it because its convenient or because you crave it?

In either case you can avoid it with more planning. I fully agree you don't have to avoid within a calorie controlled diet (just read the study everyone) but I find I enjoy it more if I sautee my own fries, make my own burger, and have a coke. I just think it tastes better and there's something more satisfying about it. Plus it is nutritionally better. OR if I bring some chicken breast or turkey meatloaf muffins with me on the road. Just a suggestions.
  • brittnicoledav
    Options
    it depends what you get. it can be awful for you, but most places have lots of options that are not bad. obviously you could be eating healthier things at home, but so long as you're careful about what you get then id say its fine. im not gonna lie, i eat fast food about once a week and it always fits into my cals easily. i always look it up online for the cals and prelog what i get though.
  • dianediaz
    dianediaz Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Fast food really is THAT bad for you, really. Here's a link to an article about a study done on 52,000 Chinese residents with regard to fast food consumption. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/07/120702210214.htm.

The Chinese population is seeing a higher level of diabetes and heart disease with the recently greater proliferation of Western style fast food availability.

This article pretty much just sums up that you really should NOT consume fast food. Would you rather eat fast food of be healthy?
  • helenwilliams78
    helenwilliams78 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Personally, if I'm going to eat something that is bad for me I'd want it to taste a lot better than McDonalds!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Personally, if I'm going to eat something that is bad for me I'd want it to taste a lot better than McDonalds!

Nothing tastes better than McDonalds' fries...
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    FWIW, have you ever tried making shoestring fries at home? I have bought the Safeway brand and baked them in the oven. They taste similar to McDs and you can control the portion size, added fat, and sodium much better, but still satisfy a craving. Just an idea.
  • helenwilliams78
    helenwilliams78 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

Nothing tastes better than McDonalds' fries...

Give me big fat english chip shop chips anyday :laugh:
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are overweight and therefore looking for permission to eat it then the only answer can be YES fast food IS THAT bad!