Question re: Heart Rate Monitors

Options
I know that the chest strap ones are more accurate, but honestly they hurt when I wear them...
Maybe when I lose more weight I'll treat myself to a good one.

For right now, can anyone recommend a decent NON chest strap monitor?

Or maybe one that you can wear with or without the chest strap to obtain a readout? (if there's such a thing?)

thanks

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    There is unfortunately no good HRM without a chest strap. The chest strap is essential to getting a constant heart rate reading.

Another option for you might be a fitbit or Bodybugg, but those aren't HRMs and have a different purpose (measure activity and calorie output 24/7 vs during cardio exercise only).
  • erinm2629
    erinm2629 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have an Oregon watch that has a sensor on it for my heart rate. i bought it to try out before i spent the money for one with a chest strap. It is not 100% accurate all the time but more accurate than the cardio section of MFP. i am getting stronger so will upgrade to a chest strap but my watch has been great up to now.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    garmin makes a soft strap for their monitors. Not sure if that would be an option.

I have yet to read anything about strapless HRMs that yield positive results.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    My Polar F4 has a soft strap with a sensor in the middle (between and underneath the girls). I wear it under the strap for my job bra and truly can't feel it.
  • heatgal976
    heatgal976 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I second the Polar F4. The strap was soft and I did not notice it when I was running or strength training.
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Im just worrying about the chest strap not fitting a larger person comfortably ....