Thin vs Fit

Options
I find a lot of people saying they want to be thin, but what does that mean really? I want to be fit whatever size that is. Thin is not for everyone. Fit is.

Thin is the opposite of Fat and both are a problem. So can we look in the mirror, love ourselves, and opt for being fit instead of asking to be thin?

All of you over 50 [young ones Google it] let's remember this song by the mighty Curtis Mayfield;

We're a winner
And never let anybody say
that, you can't make it
'Cause a feeble mind is in your way
No more tears do we cry
And we have finally dried our eyes
And we're movin' on up (movin' on up)
Lawd have mercy
We're movin' on up (movin' on up)...

;o)

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Healthy is generally a totally different category than fat/thin. You can be very thin and healthy, some people are just made that way. You can be overweight (even in some cases obese) and still rock a clean bill of health.

I personally want to be somewhat thin and healthy. I was healthy when I had a BMI of 27 but I wasn't happy. I am healthy now with a BMI of 22 and liking things more everyday.
  • GweniePoo
    GweniePoo Posts: 11
    Options
    Yes, you can be healthy and fat and healthy and thin, but Fit is another factor. I want to be healthy and fit. I'm glad you have found your sweet spot. I am looking for my own.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can be healthy and fat and healthy and thin, but Fit is another factor. I want to be healthy and fit. I'm glad you have found your sweet spot. I am looking for my own.

I guess I don't get what you mean by "fit". Muscular?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Thin is the opposite of Fat and both are a problem. So can we look in the mirror, love ourselves, and opt for being fit instead of asking to be thin?

I don't understand. Why is being thin a problem? It's quite possible to be thin and fit.
  • mercikaleb
    mercikaleb Posts: 14
    Options
    Looks are so decieving. Many thin people are not fit
    and many people who have extra weight on them and look less than perfect run, hike, bicylce, etc..

Depends on the person..

I am losing weight for HEALTH AND VANITY reasons
  • GweniePoo
    Options
    Fit is being an appropriate size for your body type. Everyone talks about being thin, thin, thin [and rich..ha!] but I wanted to know what does that really mean? Isn't being fit a more life long and fulfilling goal?
  • GweniePoo
    Options
    BTW Bcattoes, I never said thin was a problem.
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    When I was younger (12-16) I just wanted to be THIN, skinny, whatever you want to call it, and went about getting there rather stupidly and recklessly. Now i'm a bit older I want to be FIT and happy. (Happy being something i never was before!) (:
  • bcattoes
    Options

Yeah, the OP says "Thin is the opposite of Fat and both are a problem. " Thin is rarely a problem.
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options

Yeah, the OP says "Thin is the opposite of Fat and both are a problem. " Thin is rarely a problem.

I'm thin and fit. Have always been relatively thin (though at times carried 10 or 15 extra pounds), but I haven't always been fit. I get it. I cannot agree that fat people can be fit, however, because of the dynamics of the body and how it all works. That's just my opinion, though. Just because you can run, or bike, or whatever, doesn't mean your heart doesn't labor to carry your extra poundage around. And THAT is the dangerous part.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Fit is being an appropriate size for your body type. Everyone talks about being thin, thin, thin [and rich..ha!] but I wanted to know what does that really mean? Isn't being fit a more life long and fulfilling goal?

Fit has nothing to do with size, and everything to do with stamina, endurance, strengh and so on....Fit and healthy normally goes hand in hand, whereas both thin and fat does not always equal either healthy or unhealthy....
  • tinacrane
    tinacrane Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Let's be honest my motivation to loose weight was to be healthy, but I sure would also like to look good in whatever clothes I wear. Including a bathing suit! How I look at it is: how was I born? How did I look at 8 or 9? Even at 17 (for me anyway)? I was created thin, and that's what looks good on my frame. And in a bathing suit :) So healthy and toned are my goals!
  • bcattoes
    Options
    According to dictionary.com, Fit is defined as in good physical condition and good health. It is possible to be overweight and fit, but it's very hard to remain fit as you age if you are overweight.
  • GweniePoo
    Options
    I'm never going to be thin that is not my body type, but I hear thin, thin, thin so much I wondered if that's the goal for women? If you're thin and that's your body type ...GR8, but I'm talking about those of us who are not thin and struggling with the mindset and images we see and read everywhere. As a newbie I found the comments interesting.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options

I guess I don't get what you mean by "fit". Muscular?
    It simply means being in a healthy weight, not fat nor thin. When I say healthy weight, I mean someone who has good body composition because you can be thin & have lower BMI but at the same time a poor body composition because of high body fat percentage (aka "skinny fat"). Being "muscular" is another thing. We all have muscles however it is not easily seen if covered with a thick layer of fat. So those people who rock some muscle definition aren't automatically mean they gain muscle. It simply means that the body fat is lowered & their existing muscles are beginning to show.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    One who is fit has stamina, endurance, can sustain a high cardiac output for an extended period of time. By definition, "fit" is a condition. You can't necessarily look at a person and say that they are fit.

Big/thin is just how someone looks. It's possible to be thin and unhealthy (no muscle, cardiovascular health, eat un-nutritious foods, etc) just as it's possible to be big and fit. I ran my half marathon in 2:25 when I was still 200 pounds. Granted, I was on the way to losing pounds, but I had to get it in my head that I was a runner, even if I didn't look like it.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    But saying that thin is a problem isn't accurate either. You can be thin, and just have lean muscle. A friend of mine runs 40 miles a week and literally weighs 100 pounds. It's her genetics. I know that I will never be thin in that sense (my goal is set for 165 pounds, because of MY genetics.) But I do say that I want to be thin, meaning lean.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I'm never going to be thin that is not my body type, but I hear thin, thin, thin so much I wondered if that's the goal for women? If you're thin and that's your body type ...GR8, but I'm talking about those of us who are not thin and struggling with the mindset and images we see and read everywhere. As a newbie I found the comments interesting.

What body type can't be thin? Not trying to be argumentative, I've just never known anyone that couldn't be thin. If you are large framed and full bodied your measurements may never be as low as someone with a small bone structure and a less voluptuous figure, but you can still be thin.
  • chantalb20
    chantalb20 Posts: 132
    Options
    personally, i'd prefer thin over 'fit'
    if fit comes into it, bonus.
    but i'd still take thin. delicate <3
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I get what you are saying OP - Some of you, dont be so quick to attack, cripes.

There is healthy Thin - you work out, eat right, get your nutrients to fuel your body
    There is UNHEALTHY thin - Dont eat enough calories a day that your body needs, write in your diary 30 times a day that you are fat over and over, pro ana type crap

There is Healthy Average - Me for example. I am not near as thin as I want to be, but you bet your *kitten* I am HEALTHY. I work out, run half marathons, and EAT pretty well for the most part.

etc, etc.