Starvation mode and Quality Calories

Options
Hi Everybody!

I am fairly new to this site, and have been reading the posts with great interest.

There seems to be a debate, or confusion, regarding "why can't I lose weight when I only eat 1200 calories and workout?"

Some have suggested that our bodies go into starvation mode...to persevere.

That is indeed a fact.

A study was published a few years ago on why some Holocaust survivors did survive on little nutrition and deplorable conditions. In conjuncation, a report was done on how mankind or "cavemen" use to persevere under harsh conditions, no food, etc. The human body is a miracle, and its first reaction and "duty" is to survive.

The point is: if you drastically reduce your calories, your metabolism will slow, in order to preserve the human body. Our bodies are miraculous.

The next subject of confusion is calories. The quality of your food is very important. I have a friend who eats 500 calories a day, runs 3-4 miles a day, and drinks a bottle of wine every night. Her theory is: "I save my calories for my wine." Consequently, she has gained and lost the same 30 pounds for the past 25 years, and is now starting to experience joint problems. Yes, she is indeed malnourished, and so confused when her scale creeps up.

I work with a triathlete who is in pristine condition. She is all muscle, 38 years old, with two children. She eats "foods of color" (think fruits and vegetables), whole grains, nuts, seeds, NO soda of any kind, no prepackaged foods with a ton of preservatives, and only will eat organic meats. She is such an inspiration. She eats every 3-4 hours so her body doesn't shut down, and keeps her energy flowing for her workouts.

In conclusion, there are studies that support the "starvation mode" theory...and the importance of the quality of foods we eat..not just "quantity." You have to eat well, put good food in the "tank," and listen to your body. With all the preservatives in our foods, it is no wonder why so many of us are struggling with our waistlines!

Replies

• mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say THANK YOU!! I've been having issues with my husband telling me that I'm eating more now than before. But that's because your suppose to, and I eat raw foods more often than ever. That's why I'm finally shedding the pounds and why he can't gain anything! (he's 6'2" 140 pounds.)
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I have been preaching to my sister about the same subject. I was very frustrated when my weight loss came to a stand still at 191.. I thought I was doing everything right by not eating my exercise cals.. But as soon as I beefed it up and started feeding my body I started losing again. In fact, It's melting away! I wanna tell the world how great I feel and I'm still losing! YEEHA!:noway:
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Very well said!:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    while there are some foods I wont give up because shopping twice a week for fresher foods is just too much for the bf and the budget, and because Im not going to torture myself into loving only healthy foods....
    ....its good to see someone saying this. Im still debating eating exercise calories, but now I wont be afraid of actually reaching or going over 1200 in a day
  • jovigal1959
    Options
    Yes..eating well and healthy is pricey. I know that when I buy organic, etc., it is taxing on the budget...but Trader Joe's, in my area, is pretty inexpensive. You have to make sure to eat it quick or many things will rot (unless put in the refrigerator!). But just think of the savings for future prescriptions for disease, etc.!

We are so programmed to view food as "the enemy." We all need to embrace it as fuel for our bodies. I am terrible....it is 2:30 and I have only had my shake for breakfast, some celery and carrot sticks. I MUST force myself to go eat before my meeting. Right now, I am just not hungry!

This is very difficult and hard. However, I must remember that starvation mode is not the way to go. Many of these starlets in Hollywood will see how their bodies suffer once they hit 40.

On another note, has anybody seen the Ralph Lauren ad where the model's head is wider than her hips? Nobody can figure out if it is photo-shopped.

BTW - when did a Size 10 become "Plus-sized"?
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I am actually starting to notice a difference with eating my exercise calories. I was gaining weight at first, but when I started eating my calories, i actually lost 4 lbs. Go figure. I signed up in the beginning of the year, but life happened and I didn't get serious until sept.

As for the size 10...it is a plus size now because clothing manufacturers have actually changed the sizes. 10 years ago a size 10 would probably be what a size 3/4 is now. We as a country are getting fatter so they are changing the sizes so everyone doesn't feel as bad. I think a size 12 is what a size 16 used to be 10 yrs ago....does that make sense?

Do you have any races coming up?