Why is MyFitnessPal giving me 1700 calories a day?

Options
2»

Replies

• FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I started around 1300 calories and lost 9 lbs in the first few weeks, then stopped for about 3 weeks. I just increased my calories to 1800 under everyone's recomendations. I know it seems like it doesnt make any sense, but try it first..
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    :drinker:
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11 and eating about 2400 a day and losing a pound a week. Trust your body.
  • sabusby
    sabusby Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It should be basing this off of your activity level and not how much extra weight you're carrying.

You need calories to build muscle. When your lean muscle is in place, it will burn FAR more calories than you think.

It's necessary to keep the metabolism rolling by eating. When you reduce calories too drastically, your body reserves the calories (storing them--metabolic decreases) and you don't lose any weight. If you do, you've reduced too much and your body is in starvation mode. Then, you have a week of vacation days where you don't watch what you eat and you balloon.
  • ashleyjohnson590
    Options
    That's the amount you need to eat a day. I thought the same way you did when I was eating that much, but the truth is when I was eating 800 calories a day I put on 40 pounds. Your body goes into starvation mode with too few calories and holds on to everything you eat and you won't lose weight. I bumped my calories up to 1900 a day and I've lost 20 pounds since. Trust MyFitnessPal. They know what they're doing.
  • lknjk1
    Options
    I need help I'm eating clean (says should be 1750 cAlories a day) which is a lot and I'm not losing anything. I work out burn about 300 calories I'm having trouble eating enough I think that's the problem! Help! I eat I'm not hungry what am I doing wrong! Is it true if I don't enough I won't lose the weight?
  • lknjk1
    Options
    Ok any ideas of things that I can eat to add calories, Im eating healthy Im just stuck! I ate breakfast lunch and worked out now im stuck at 1400 calories!! for the rest of day what can I eat, im not even hungry!! :(
  • ptroyer02
    ptroyer02 Posts: 1
    Options
    To the person who said they gained weight on 800 calories a day, how is that even possible? Were you eating only sugar cubes and bacon? Even then... 600/800 calories is a characteristic amount for many anorexics. Also it takes a long time to gain 40 pounds... You couldn't have possibly been consuming so few calories.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I cant understand why it's giving me 1700 calories a DAY! That's a lot! How can I change the number of calories it assigns me? Actually it gave me 1700 and then a credit of 213 for exercise!! I can NOT believe eating that many calories I will lose even an OUNCE of weight! haha

Are you familiar with simple subtraction? If you eat fewer calories than you are burning you WILL lose weight. And I guarantee you are burning more than 1700 calories a day. I'd bet more money than I have on it.

Don't change it. Stick with 1700, that's a solid number to lose weight on.
  • oneblackwing
    oneblackwing Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I eat 1750, and I still lose 2 ish pounds a week. I do walk and exercise though.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I need help I'm eating clean (says should be 1750 cAlories a day) which is a lot and I'm not losing anything. I work out burn about 300 calories I'm having trouble eating enough I think that's the problem! Help! I eat I'm not hungry what am I doing wrong! Is it true if I don't enough I won't lose the weight?

you really should start a new thread in food and nutrition forum and not hijack someone else's :flowerforyou:
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I would like to trade you ha.ha, mine is set at 1260. It's based on your age, your bmr, and a few other things on your original profile for MFP.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry, don't eat. You got the 1200 minimum requirement so no worries.
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Necro thread.
  • Misshodge64
    Misshodge64 Posts: 8,588 Member
    Options
    Hello, I believe that their trying to give calorie goals that are not only reachable but also healthy. Losing weight too fast may not be healthy and can be unnecessary stress on the body. But when a person exercises the body requires more calories especially if their is muscle growth involved. I would start off with what they suggested and as time go by than you could possibly try decreasing your calorie intake. I actually just started eating 400 calories more, from 1200 to 1600 now.:smile: