Oil sub for cooking

Options
I know a lot of people use applesauce - me included. Well I am trying to make my daughter a birthday cake that will travel and low fat. Applesauce usually dries out in a day so... I have been experimenting with yogurt - low fat/no fat. Well I am pleased to annouce it bakes well and it stays fresh for days. So, just sub the oil with some applesauce , about half and then the remaining with whatever yogurt you choose. I used a very vanilla and it added a delicious vanilla taste to my orange cake. Enjoy!

Replies

• Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Great idea thanks. Another way you can substitute oil is by using prunes. Also I know it sounds odd but they are actually pretty interesting is chia seeds. I made an apple cake using absolutely no oil only chia seed gel and the ingredients of apples and pumpkin it was very good.

Thanks for the yogurt idea.
    Eve
  • ctupdu
    ctupdu Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I typically use applesauce but have not tried the yogurt yet. Thanks for letting us know. Will definitely have to try it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I add plain yogurt to my jiffy corn muffins, so it makes sense to put it in cake. Maybe I'll try it in my next batch of brownies 😋