garmin HRMr not working?

Options
I've had my garmin HRM about 18 months-- the watch battery died 2 months ago and i finally replaced it last weekend. -I also replaced the battery in the chest strap but now my heart rate jumps all over the place, it takes 2 or 3 tries just for the watch to find the HRM and it's not accurate at all. It will show me at 200+ when im sitting down but then at 90 when i am running uphill. I never had any issues until now. Has anyone else had anything similar happen? do i need to replace the chest strap altogether?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I have gone through two garmin straps. They work for me for about 6 months and then get erratic like you describe. I finally just quit using it.

I have heard that using the old style plastic strap eliminates the problem.
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I use the premium soft strap daily (with an FR 610) and have never had an issue, not even a spike. Have you contacted the company yet? There could be a simple explanation, like using the wrong 3v, (I just picked up a 3v for my bike computer and decided that there are far too many 3v's out there).

OR...

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={d320e3a0-0a6b-11de-76c5-000000000000}
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I've had my garmin HRM about 18 months-- the watch battery died 2 months ago and i finally replaced it last weekend. -I also replaced the battery in the chest strap but now my heart rate jumps all over the place, it takes 2 or 3 tries just for the watch to find the HRM and it's not accurate at all. It will show me at 200+ when im sitting down but then at 90 when i am running uphill. I never had any issues until now. Has anyone else had anything similar happen? do i need to replace the chest strap altogether?

There has been a change in weather in the last 2 months too.

Static electricity plays havoc on reading HR correctly for 3 different makes I've had.

Depends on humidity, level of sweat for contacts, shirt material ect.

If you can push your shirt against the sending unit, and the data shapes up, that is it.

May also be a routine to run on it for a reset. have you checked out Garmins support forums where it's nothing but solutions to Garmin's questions?

I asked OP to update the solution from Garmin she was given that fixed the problem.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/644279-is-my-hrm-faulty
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Got the solution that Garmin gave.

Garmin told me to take out the battery and turn it upside down for about 10 seconds to reverse the polarity, then put it back in the proper way. Worked for me.