Calf cramps while sleeping... VERY painful!!

Options
I have had severe calf cramps while sleeping twice during the past week. They are so painful that they wake me out of a sound sleep. Today, my leg is still sore from the one I had last night, so I am taking the day off from exercising.

I typically walk 6 - 8 miles four to five days a week, and in addition, I do Vinyassa Yoga three to four times per week.

I am not sure what is causing these cramps, but I would appreciate any advice on what can be done to avoid them that you may have.

THANKS!!!

Replies

• beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    It's possible you aren't getting enough water. Whenever I get these kinds of cramps, I am dehydrated to some extent. Try getting in some extra water, especially now in the summer. Hopefully it'll ease up soon!
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Sounds like charlie horse? I am guessing low potassium? I had these when pregnant - would wake up screaming. I found that if I ate a banana (or substitute any other decent potassium containing food) near bedtime and stretched my calves before bed, they went away. They can also be exacerbated if you are not getting enough hydration. That's my 2 cents anyhow!
  • cestlafete
    cestlafete Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I used to have this happen all the time when I was younger, and often limped a bit for a day or so after. I second the potassium + water thing.
  • cait0902
    cait0902 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I suggest water as well. I use to get those pains and it was HELL! SInce drinking more water, A LOT more, I can't remember the last time I had one....thank goodness!! Good luck!
  • beccas27
    beccas27 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Def sounds like low potassium... Take a pill daily or eat more foods with it in them.. I had the same problem :)
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Hell yes! hurts like a %^%*%!!! mine actually hurt for weeks after a BAD one. I drink more water now, and I eat Nana's and Sweet Potatoes more now =)
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    i get these all the time! i hope someone has a solution because waking up 3-4 times a month in this much pain sucks...
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Agreed! Up the water intake and try eating a banana each day.
  • Rumpenissen
    Rumpenissen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a charlie horse, like someone else mentioned. Yeah, they are very painful! Try googling it for some advice.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses... I am drinking water, and I just ate a banana:-)

Hoping that tonight is better:-)
  • kbc525
    kbc525 Posts: 149
    Options
    ok don't think i'm crazy but my fiance's danish grandmother swears swears swears by putting a bar of soap under the fitted sheet of your bed by your feet.

and the people she gave theis advice to.. it's worked for them as well..

she leaves it there.. forgets all about it and only recalls it being there when she changes the sheets.. i know... odd.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I agree. Water is a good answer. I used to have these severe cramps too. They are the worst.
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I used to get leg cramps whenever I ate Asparagus. Did you have asparagus recently?
  • Dawners98
    Dawners98 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Bananas, bananas, bananas! The cramps are often due to a lack of potassium. I used to get these charlie horses and they are killer. Also, if you feel one starting, jump out of bed and stand straight up (you may want to balance yourself on the bed or something, though!). At first it's painful, but I find that it relaxes the muscle faster than writhing around in bed does! Not to mention it's always taken less time to 'heal' that way, too - as in I have less pain in fewer days than if I let the cramp run its course, so to speak. And I've dealt with them my entire life.
  • taylorromanyk
    Options
    This was happening to me too, until I started drinking more water. :)
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I've been told it's not enough water and also that potassium could be an issue. Honestly, I have no real advice on how to avoid them but when you get one, pull your toes back (up). I know I cant think straight when it happens and have to pull them up with my hand rather than just flexing the muscle. Rubbing it when its happening just seems to make it even more torturous.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    potassium!
  • Roseisadreamer
    Options
    in response to the water ideas - my doctor has said you can get these cramps from either drinking too much or too little water! is there ever a happy medium?! :P
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I used to get these when I worked as a waiter/bartender.

I suggest, drink lots of water and eat a banana.

I have no science to back this up! It is just something that was suggested to me years ago that worked immediately.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I used to get leg cramps whenever I ate Asparagus. Did you have asparagus recently?

No Asparagus lately, but I do eat it often. I don't think this was caused by asparagus, but thanks for the response:-)