Extreme exercise day - do you eat back the calories

Options
So I have been on here just long enough to realize that the controversy of "eating back your exercise calories" creates heated debate on MFP. This routine debate is not what I'm after.

However, one of my main goals is not to send my body into starvation mode. I pretty regularly eat 1600-1800 calories as a result, and have been seeing steady loss. Yesterday while wearing my HRM, I ended up burning ~1700 calories playing volleyball/soccer with friends. I usually eat back some/all of my exercise calories, but obviously I'm not going to eat an additional ~1700 calories. Do any of you nutrition experts out there have any advice? My net calories for the day were pretty much zero.

Is this unsafe? I still ate my normal amount of food...

Replies

• DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    I am no expert, but I usually eat back most of my calories on regular workout days, and if I go all out and burn more than a couple hundred, I take advantage and eat BBQ ribs or something. ;) Alternatively, it's always nice to have a big fat green number on your diary at the end of the day, and it really can't hurt your efforts. But, if you are not hungry, you don't need to eat them back!
  • judith3horns
    Options
    I do not have an answer, but as a competition dancer I am really struggling with the same problem! Even when I eat above average for myself, I often do not eat back the calories on a competition day because it would require consuming mass amounts of food!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    My advice would be not to stress yourself out about the extreme exercise day. You probably don't do that every day so just eat what you want and don't be a slave to the numbers. The point of eating back your calories is to keep you on an even keel so you don't plateau from starving yourself. That's not going to happen if you occasionally (I would say even weekly) do a day of extreme effort.

That's my opinion.
  • Quilla_Baby
    Options
    I try not to eat back my calories unless I burn more than a couple hundred. And i usually only do that if I'm really hungry. So here's my advice : if you worked out and you're hungry afterwards EAT, you earned those calories, its kind of like reward. Just don't over do it :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Do you do extreme harm to your body if you get the stomach flu and are unable to keep any food down for 24 hours? Nope. So one day of excessive exercise isn't going to hurt you, either.

Personally, I'm never all that hungry on the day I exercise a lot, so if I can't eat all my calories, I don't stress about it. The NEXT day, I have a bottomless stomach, though. :laugh:
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to feel pressured to eat that many calories back. You're not maintaining that level of deficit every day.

If I did that much physical activity, though, I would be STARVING, and glad to have at least some of those extra cals to play with.
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Only eat some of them back if you need them...if you are hungry, that is.

In the past, I lost weight successfully without eating back the exercise calories. Consequently, I know people whose weight lose stalled because they were eating too little and not eating exercise calories back.

There are no solid-gold answers...only what works for you.

Good luck!
  • tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    There are times when I do double or triple workouts because of my job and my athletic lifestyle...There is no way I can eat back all of those calories in one day...and the next day I am normally craving a bit more so have no regrets eating a bit more than usual.

It's whatever works best for the person :)
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I run a lot of half marathons, and on half marathon day, I eat pretty much like normal but I usually end up taking a 3 hour nap in the middle of the day. I think my body recharges better with extra sleep than with extra food. If I ate all the calories the charts say I burn running (truthfully I think the numbers are very inflated for how much I personally burn running) I would feel uncomfortably stuffed and sluggish. It's all about the post exercise nap!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    It's unsafe if your net calories are zero everyday...if this isn't your normal day then I wouldn't worry about it. I try as best I can to eat back my calories since I'm maintaining and building lean muscle mass...
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I can't say what's safe and what's not but I know when I have long runs and I burn over 1000 calories, I usually end up eating back about 50-75% of them on that day, and the rest I will eat the day after. I usually feel ravenous the day after an intense workout. If I weren't hungry though I probably wouldn't be force feeding them to myself.
  • rachelilb
    rachelilb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I burn about 1200 calories 5 days a week and do not eat back the calories. Everyone says I will send my body into "starvation mode" but I have been doing it for 4 months now and have successfully lost weight. If I am hungry I eat. If im not then I don't eat. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I believe everyone is different and you need to find what works for you. That being said, over the years I've come to learn that I needed to eat back ALL my exercise calories in order to lose weight. Same goes for maintenance. The more active I am the more I get to (have to) eat. But that's what works for me.
  • elleish8705
    Options
    I'm not much for extreme exercise (600 calories on the elliptical is as extreme as I get) but I generally try to eat a little bit less so I have some green to make up for the days when I overeat. I would judge how you feel - if you're light headed or dizzy, definitely eat what you need to feel better; if you have lots of energy and feel great and not hungry, don't feel compelled to max it out (imo).
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've experienced this in the past as a competitive dancer, i'd be running a huge calorie deficit because i'd burn so many calories over the day, but i also didn't worry much about eating too much, i just ate until i wasn't hungry anymore.i would however bring protein bars and stuff with me if i started to get less energy later in the day.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    if i'm hungry, yes.

i don't force myself to eat if i'm not hungry.
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Heres a tip..and i haven't read all the responses so maybe someone said this...I use cardio to create a calorie deficit so I can eat more...Heres the kicker...I never log my weight training ever. So even if I eat at my sedentary or cardio maintenance...I should still be at a deficit...lifting will burn a few calories, and over the long term, very many.
  • Sarena3
    Sarena3 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I had a "head slap" aha moment on this subject. I was filling in my daily in take on MFP. I entered the Hammer Nutrition bar I eat before my work out and the protein shake I drink right after and thought "wow it's a good thing I have my exercise calories or I wouldn't have enough calories left for supper and it hit me. Fuel up appropriately for the work out and have something for muscle recovery afterwards, viola, you've used your exercise calories...appropriately. My opinion. For what it's worth.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    eat till your full xP
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I usually eat back about half my calroies on hard exercise day over 1000 I eat back about 500... usually satifies my hunger

Connie