Is my goal weight too high?

Options
jreeves628
jreeves628 Posts: 123 Member
I was reading another thread and it seems like other women around my height have much lower goal weights than me. I am 34 years old, 5'2.5'' My start weight was 185lbs and as of today I am 166.6lbs. My goal weight is 145, which is lower than I ever been my entire adult life. I thought getting to 145 was going to be extremely hard and I see others have a goal of 110-115lbs. To me 110 is way too skinny. Am I looking at this incorrectly? Should I strive for a lower weight? I really don't want to. Could it be a culture thing? I am Puerto Rican and many of us tend to be a little thicker (in a sexy way).

**Sorry guys, I just realized that I may have posted this question in the wrong place.**

Replies

• Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    It's all up to you and how you feel. :)

I'm 5'1.5" and my goal is 129.
    Most people my height go for the 110s or so. I'm juts too big boned!

Get to your goal and evaluate from there. :flowerforyou:
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm just under 5ft 3 and my goal weight is 130! Everybody is different. You should see how you feel at a certain weight and you'll know if it's right for YOU! Good luck :-D x
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    i feel the same way. Other girls at my height (5'5) seem to have a lower goal, by like 25 lbs. But i know we all carry weight differently. Once i get to my goal weight, i think i'll be happy. If not, i can always readjust it!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Get to where you want to go. If you decide when you arrive that it's not far enough, keep going until you are happy. Provided, of course, that your body fat percentage remains healthy and you aren't trying to get dangerously thin.
  • jnr2012
    jnr2012 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Do what is right for you:love:
  • dschipman
    dschipman Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think this is all a personal preference. I have been down to 145lb at 5"6 and hated the way I looked. Sure I was skinny, but I felt like I looked sickly. You could see my ribs and I just didn't feel comfortable at that size. Now the BMI calculators say my ideal weight is 140 to be within the "normal" range, but I feel that is too low for me. I just think it is a personal preference. But thats just my opinion.

As long as you are happy with your body and healthy, that's all that should matter.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i am 5.2ft and i am aiming for 122. i think it all depends on your build and age. i started at 142 and am around 125 now and i won't go under 120 as i have a medium build and i am almost 36.. my dr was the one that suggested 122 to me and not to go under it.
  • carolynkaykerr
    Options
    I too have a higher goal weight than many. My starting weight a few years ago was 270. I lost 50 lbs, then gained back about 25 over the last few years. I started dieting and being more active about 6 weeks ago and have gone from 248 to 228. My goal weight is 195. I am 59 years old and 5'5''.

I want to reach a goal that I am sure I can maintain. I feel good physicially at slightly over 200 lbs and am happy with how I look at that weight.

I think that your goal weight should be what you feel comfortable with and not compared to anyone elses. So I think you are just fine with your goal weight. You and I may or may not wish to make that goal weight lower when we reach the goal we have already set. Good luck!
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    The only person that can really answer that is you! It is your goal and you decide what the right weight is for you based on how you look and how you feel, comparing yourself to someone else is never a good idea!
  • Sarahsarahsarahk
    Sarahsarahsarahk Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It is all personal preference! Judge your goal weight with how you feel and what is healthy for you! Don't worry what everyone elses' goal is! Everyone carries weight differently! :)
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    It isn't really about the number. You'll feel right when you get there. I am 2-7 pounds away from my "number goals" which are based on BF % however I feel absolutely fabulous right now and would be ok if I don't get down to those goals.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and currently 144 i might go for 135 but im also comfortable where im at
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    "Your" goal weight is just that "yours"... Do whatever makes you feel happy! My goal weight was 130 (I'm 5'3) my body decided it wasn't done so I ended up at 119 but won't dare go any lower..
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Aim for 145 and when you get close, see if you like it. You may want to go lower. You may want to stop before you get there.

I originally set my goal for 160... because I enjoyed how I looked at that weight in my 20s. Now that I'm 164 I KNOW i need to go lower. This nearly 37 year old body doesn't look like it did back then at this weight :laugh: ... so 150 it is for now... then I want to gain some muscle...

Who knows where I'll end up? Just play around with it. No need to nail down a firm goal at this point.
  • jreeves628
    jreeves628 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!! You have made me feel a lot better. :flowerforyou:
  • JessLov67
    JessLov67 Posts: 27
    Options
    Your goal weight is totally up to you!
    My goal weight is 140 so you're not alone.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I personally think that is too heavy if it were ME, but at the end of the day we all have to do what is right for ourselves.
  • crystal_darling
    crystal_darling Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said, its all personal preference. I'm 5'2" and I'm aiming at 140. Once I get to 140 I'll see if I want to stay or lose a bit more. Take it one step at a time! Goodluck! :)
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Stick with your current goal and when you reach it, reevaluate after that!

I thought 129lbs would be perfect, but I still think I can go lower, so now I'm aiming for 120!
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    to each their own girl!, If you think you will feel awesome at 145, so be it!..
    As for me, im 5 2, current 148, and im looking to go down to 120. Some other chicks my height go down to 110, but for me i think it would be too much.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!