Calorie Counting

I hope this is not a dumb question. Say for instance I loose 450 calories doing a workout in the day and it adds calories to the amount I can eat in a day. Should I make sure to eat those calories? Or does it not make a difference?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    I hope this is not a dumb question. Say for instance I loose 450 calories doing a workout in the day and it adds calories to the amount I can eat in a day. Should I make sure to eat those calories? Or does it not make a difference?
    If the estimate is right and you eat them then you maintain the original calorie deficit built into your goal. If you don't the deficit gets bigger.
  • mommyweighless
    mommyweighless Posts: 192 Member
    I'm no expert and this is a super debated topic. It is recommended on MFP that you eat your exercise calories back. I always do. But some people swear you shouldn't. Its more of a personal choice I guess. Another thing to take into consideration is that MFP over estimates calorie burns. Use a HRM so that you know exactly what your burn is so that you aren't eating back more than you need to.
  • Loops2122
    Loops2122 Posts: 3
    Good question because I was thinking the same, because if I don't it says that I need to eat the allocated calories otherwise my body goes into starvation mode, but I am not hungry? Plus I have not lost any weight yet after nearly a full week ?
  • ndwyer0910
    ndwyer0910 Posts: 86 Member
    I'm no expert and this is a super debated topic. It is recommended on MFP that you eat your exercise calories back. I always do. But some people swear you shouldn't. Its more of a personal choice I guess. Another thing to take into consideration is that MFP over estimates calorie burns. Use a HRM so that you know exactly what your burn is so that you aren't eating back more than you need to.

What is URM?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member

What is URM?

Assuming you mean HRM, heart rate monitor. It is more accurate at estimating calories.

I eat back calories from exercise when I'm hungry and don't when I'm not. I figure my body is smart enough to know when I need calories.
  • ndwyer0910
    ndwyer0910 Posts: 86 Member

What is URM?

Assuming you mean HRM, heart rate monitor. It is more accurate at estimating calories.

I eat back calories from exercise when I'm hungry and don't when I'm not. I figure my body is smart enough to know when I need calories.

Yeah smh I meant HRM. Thank you though!
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 492 Member
    This is one of the most debated topics on MFP!

Personally, I eat all mine back if I'm hungry, about half if not so hungry. It's worked for me so far, but everyone's different so you really need to find what works for you hun. Good luck! :flowerforyou: