question for all you runners

Options
Sinope82
Sinope82 Posts: 108 Member
Recently i've been thinking about giving running a try. I walk alot and usually im hiking over hills with a pack so im not afraid of hard work & exercise, i've used an elliptical and tried the treadmill but it made me feel sea sick however ive always been to scared to try running properly. I was useless at school and it put me off big time but i know alot of people on mfp run and i have a couple of relatives who have suggested i give it a go. My question is as a complete begginer can i learn to run? Im really worried i'm going to end up making fool out of myself if im as bad as i used to be. I know im far fitter now than ive ever been and my weightloss seems to have stalled so a change is in order. It would be grear to hear from any of you wonderful mfp runners if you've had a similar experience and can give me any advice as to whether to give it a go, how you started running and worked up to where you are now?

I'd love to think i could do it but i really don't know where to start

thanks for reading and any advice you can offer

Replies

• anderl34
    anderl34 Posts: 4
    Options
    My advice is to start!! I started running in February of this year, barely being able to finish a mile without walking. I stuck with it, running almost every day and I really got into it and was seeing so much improvement. My first goal was running a 5K...since then I've done 5K, an 8K, a 10K, and in just over 4 weeks I will be running a half marathon!! I never, ever thought I could do what I'm doing now, trust me! I stuck with it, and now I can't imagine NOT running, it's just a part of my life now. Plus, I've lost almost 40 pounds along the way and have incredible endurance!

Start slow and steady, see where it takes you!
  • gotpaper
    gotpaper Posts: 17
    Options
    The person I would ask if I were to start is my 19 year old son. he runs cross country and track for a university. I know hes always told me was if I were to start (even though iam not fit to right now) is to make sure your elbows are bent and to move them back and forth. I am uncordinated so when I tried around our HS track around the corners I felt I was going to fall over...but being you are in better shape than me I am sure you would do fine. I hope this helps a little bit. If there is anything specific you want me to ask my son I will. Just ask....Hope you have a great day!
  • AMOE70
    AMOE70 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try that couch to 5k. I've heard it's really good for beginner runners.

I'm thinking about starting myself.
  • Sarah_gettingfit
    Options
    I can't say enough good things about C25K. It is very doable, and by the end you should be running 30 minutes continuously. I remember taking 14 minutes to finish the one mile run in middle school and being SO embarrassed. After the program I'm down to a 9 minute mile and I can go pretty easily for 30 minutes in a row. Running is great for clearing your head, as well.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I was never a runner. I could walk all day long, and did all kinds of workout DVDs, but running was not my thing. Until one day I decided I wanted to add running to my workouts. But I hate running! :tongue: But you can do running anywhere, so when you're on vacation or away from home, you can still go for a run and not fall off the workout wagon.

So I looked up the c25k program - or Couch to 5k. There's an overview of the program here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Basically it's about a nine week program, three days a week, taking you through a five minute warm up walk, then alternating you with walking & short jogs, gradually increasing the jogging until you've miraculously built up to a full 5k distance. And it works! I did it and made it through the program in the allotted time, and by the end I was out there running 3.1 miles in 30-40 minutes. I've run two 5k races so far and had a great time.

Give the program a try - there are a bunch of phone apps you can download, some are free, some cost a couple of bucks. I used a free version called c25kFREE by Zen Labs. Gives you all the prompts of when to run and walk, and you can even have your own music playlist going during the program.

Give it a shot! I'm still running - currently working on a 10k program - two more weeks to go!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I was never a runner. I could walk all day long, and did all kinds of workout DVDs, but running was not my thing. Until one day I decided I wanted to add running to my workouts. But I hate running! :tongue: But you can do running anywhere, so when you're on vacation or away from home, you can still go for a run and not fall off the workout wagon.

So I looked up the c25k program - or Couch to 5k. There's an overview of the program here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Basically it's about a nine week program, three days a week, taking you through a five minute warm up walk, then alternating you with walking & short jogs, gradually increasing the jogging until you've miraculously built up to a full 5k distance. And it works! I did it and made it through the program in the allotted time, and by the end I was out there running 3.1 miles in 30-40 minutes. I've run two 5k races so far and had a great time.

Give the program a try - there are a bunch of phone apps you can download, some are free, some cost a couple of bucks. I used a free version called c25kFREE by Zen Labs. Gives you all the prompts of when to run and walk, and you can even have your own music playlist going during the program.

Give it a shot! I'm still running - currently working on a 10k program - two more weeks to go!

^^ this^^
  • Sinope82
    Sinope82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, it's great to hear that it can be done. I had looked at C25K a while ago having seen it mentioned on here. I think that may be the way to go.

I know runnings about as good as it gets for burning thosr calories so hopefully it will get me moving again.

Thanks again for your advice and if anyone else would like to add feel free. The more advice i can get the better plus its great motivation hearing how other people have done so well.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend the Couch to 5K. I couldn't even run a mile without having to stop. But this is very gradual so its doable, and you can feel the progress every week in your endurance. I'm still not a great runner but it's because I'm not consistent. For me I HAD to do it every other day, or else I take a few steps back and have to start over again.

Register for a 5K in your town 2 months from now, and start the Couch to 5K and you'll be able to do it.
  • lolly2721
    lolly2721 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I personally use C25K and have had great results with running using this program. I love the interval training. You get to run a bit, walk a bit. Then you increase the running time and lower the walking time. I found that it worked well for me. I would suggest trying it and seeing how you like it. There are plenty of free C25K apps out there for your phone.
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I LOVE C25K. I've done it several times now, heh.

But RE looking like a fool... who cares. Just jog at your own pace, don't fel intmidated by any racers you come across, and if you feel sore/awkward/uncomfortable watch some videos on running form. I'm not a running superstar, but I get out there and keep trying and I enjoy it and that's what matters.
  • carolinesmiles
    Options
    I was so scared of looking like an idiot when I started running! Of course, on my second week of C25K I passed a group of like 25 judgmental, annoying teenagers on my run. It's hard at first, but you'll start to realize that you are freaking AWESOME for being out there and running (no matter how slow/silly you might look). I thought everyone was staring at me, but now I know they're staring at me because seeing a fat person running is sort of like seeing a complete solar eclipse or the Easter bunny - it's rare, and you should be proud. :smile:

C25K is the best! That mixed with a little hunting on running websites for things like proper form and tips for beginners (and a pair of good shoes!) will get you started in no time.
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I know many who started late in life and when they were at their unhealthiest. Some have gone on to run 1/2 and full marathons! You may not want to go that far, but that is how far you can go from zero if you want to. I've seen it done. Give the Couch to 5K Program a try. It eases you into full on running with walking incorporated so you don't get hurt or overwhelmed, I've heard. Good luck! If you give it a try, I hope you end up enjoying it.
  • TrinaTW
    TrinaTW Posts: 88
    Options
    You can totally run! I started using the c25k program about 2 years ago but I was also 270 lbs and I'm only 5'2" tall. It took me much longer than the 9 weeks to "graduate", I had to repeat several weeks, but I stuck with it and I have run several 5k's, 8k's and a 10k. I am aiming for a half marathon next Summer. I have also lost 90 lbs. I will say this, the less weight you have the easier it is. I have had a few injuries though, pushing too much too soon and being so overweight but it doesn't sound like that will be an issue for you. You are already in much better shape than I was when I started. I'm a slow runner but winning any medals isn't my goal. I love the personal challenge it gives and how great I feel every time I improve. Never in a million years did I think I would be a runner but I am!!Running outside is awesome too, much better than the treadmill in my opinion. Make sure you have the proper running shoes. That's very important. I say go for it!!!
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options

Ditto!!! I couldn't imagine not running now. Good Luck
  • BarbBlue
    BarbBlue Posts: 251
    Options
    I am thinking of starting the couch to 5k myself. I know a few people that did it and were successful.
    The last time I was running for exercise, I lost all my weight - dopey me for stopping and putting the weight back on again.
    Let me know if you start it. Maybe we can support each other through it.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    hey,
    I started last April 2011 with the couch to 5k. I got the app for my iphone becuase it actually told you to 'run' 'walk' etc. so you didn't have to keep looking at your watch. I'll be honest, it was HARD work, weighing 245 lbs or not. My lungs were so confused they didn't know what to do. I could barely run for a minute. I kept at it though and overtime I actually stopped the program becuase I preferred not to do the walking portion. I have ran 8k to date, I could go longer , time just hasn't allowed yet.

You can do it, just start slow and work up. It's alot of mind over matter too... takes me some time to get into my running legs, so I lose myself in a nice daydream and giver..

Good luck!
  • cyndimcd
    cyndimcd Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I loved the c25k program. Until I tried this I never liked running. I felt so exhausted immediately that I never enjoyed it. Instead with c25K, taking walk breaks before getting too tired, I grew into running and really enjoy it.

I also like the Galloway program, where you never go to continuous running but always include walk breaks. He has thousands in the program and claims that with run/walk intervals there are a lot fewer injuries. I use this when on long runs, and find that I'm faster when I include regular walk breaks than when I run the same distance continuously. His website is http://www.jeffgalloway.com/ and I found his books clear and helpful.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options

I third this! I love C25K-it's amazingly easy to use and it's helped me to become the runner that I've always wanted to be. I had issues with breathing (or rather lack of breathing) and pacing myself but this app has helped me to do both. Give it a try, it's free so you don't have anything to lose.

BUT if you do do this, get a good pair of running shoes-get fitted at a shoe store that knows what they're talking about. Don't worry about how you look-my boyfriend tried to tell me how people say you're supposed to run but for me, since it's how I do it naturally for some reason, it's easier for me to run "weird" which is toe to heel instead of heel to toe. To each their own I guess

Good luck! :drinker:
  • rhiannamk
    rhiannamk Posts: 5
    Options
    I never thought of myself to be a runner either. You've received some good advice here, in my opinion. I never did the C25K program but know people that have and I've looked at it myself to know that it's a very manageable program, afterall it was designed for people that don't run. Starting out slow is key, you don't want to over do it. I used to have problems with my IT band when I first started but using a foam roller (myofascial release) has helped. Now running is a weekly part of my routine and I love running events like relays, 5Ks, and mud runs like Warrior Dash and Tough Mudder!
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    +1 for Couch to 5k (C25k)

Don't be scared, just start easy and you will get to a point where you're running for an hour non stop.

Just remember, go slow :)