Diabetic Newbie! :)

Options
Mallyycatt
Mallyycatt Posts: 118 Member
Hey there!
I've actually been on MFP for a while...but I haven't actually used it.

I've newly diabetic and having a heck of a time with it. Just recently my doctor put me on a 1500 calorie diet, and I thought to myself..."how the heck am I ever going to keep track of what I'm eating?!" And then Ding Ding Ding! A light bulb went off!! I can actually use the App I downloaded awhile ago!

It's great to see so many people on here having a positive expierence and cheering everyone on!

Looking for weightloss partners and friends!! and if you're diabetic too, maybe some insight and guidance!! :)

:smile:

Replies

• piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    hi there

im type 1.

since using mfp to log my food ive managed to halve the amout of medication i was taking. I think actually looking at and thinking about what i was eating has helped heaps
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Hi Mallory

I've been a diagnosed diabetic for about 8 or more years now, though the doc says I probably was a symptomless diabetic for decades. I find MFP helps a lot, whatever diet you're going to use to control your diabetes.

If you're a type 2 diabetic and have some weight to lose, then dropping a few pounds will probably help a lot. As I've lost weight my blood sugar numbers have gotten much better. One bit of advice I've found helpful is to incorporate after meals exercise. I try to walk 20 minutes after eating. I find it tends to lower the after-meal blood sugar spike. Not everyone is in a position to do that, but exercise in general will also help reduce your insulin resistance.

Good luck!
  • machinka33
    Options
    Hi Mallory

I am also a diabetic that is on this weight loss journey also. I will send you a friend request , my diary is open if you want to view my intakes. I record daily and although I do go over my sugar intake on occasion I have managed to decrease my A1C test numbers from 7.9 to 7.0 just in the past 8 weeks. I have also been able to decrease my insulin in half since starting MFP . I try to do some form of exercise daily for 30 minutes . My doctor says if I continue to do what I am doing I will decrease a majority of my health issues. I really believe that using MFP is giving me the knowledge and motivation to get healthy.

Good Luck !
  • pinkly14fun2
    Options
    Welcome! I am newly diabetic myself. Diagnosed about 2 months ago. I also believe in an open diary so feel free to take a peek. I am controlling my diabetes with diet and exercise (not as much exercise as I should, been in a slump). But, my #'s have been good. I will send you a friend request too!