Overnight Oatmeal/Porridge with Egg - 20g of protein!

Options
small_ninja
small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
So I just made this for breakfast. I got the recipe off food.com and it tasted pretty damn good and is packed full of protein!
Instead of 1 cup of water, I used 1/2 water 1/2 trim milk for extra protein.

- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon wheat bran
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2-1 tablespoon maple syrup or 1/2-1 tablespoon brown sugar

Directions:
1. soak the oats and wheat bran in 1/2 cup water overnight
2. in the morning add the other 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil, stir in cinnamon and salt and simmer about 5-10 minutes until thick and tender, stirring occasionally
3. at the very end turn heat right down low, crack the egg into the oatmeal and stir stir stir until smooth and creamy (only takes like 10-20 seconds). the heat from the oats cooks the egg
4. add the sweetener of your choice and top with fruit or nuts if you want.

*the soaking overnight is totally optional! i do to cut down on cook time.

Read more at: http://www.food.com/recipe/oatmeal-porridge-with-egg-446571?oc=linkback

Nutrition (for oatmeal made with milk and sugar - you could cut the calories by not using milk and substituting sugar with sweetener)

Calories: 310
Protein: 20g
Carbs: 44g
Fat: 8g
Fibre: 8g

Replies

• juliemarie911
    Options
    thanks!
  • lhulewsky
    lhulewsky Posts: 50
    Options
    That sounds really good. I'm going to try it. Great way to start the day.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    I never thought about adding an egg before. I use a small slow cooker once in a while to pre-prepare steel cut oats. I do eat a boiled egg every morning when my dogs get one. I may try that if I don't forget.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    If anyone does use a slow cooker.....spray it first, best to test the time during the day. If I do it overnight I only use warm setting and only steel cut oats.