Is plastic surgery inevitable?

Options
I started MFP at 303 pounds. I've lost 27 so far, and I'm just wondering. When I make it to my goal, will I most likely need plastic surgery to remove excess skin? I mean losing 143 pounds is A LOT of weight. I'm 21, but I don't know if my "skin will snap back." Will working out with weights help this? If so does anyone have a program they can recommend?

Replies

• lizzyksm
    Options
    I have the same question...hopefully someone here can help us
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    I am not an expert, but I think so. Some major cities have burn centers and they are always looking for donated skin for burn victims. In some cases with a little careful research I have heard that they will pay for skin reduction surgery in return for the donated skin. Might be worth a few looks into what might be available in your city. I have heard of this more than once but don't really know what cities have these resources.
  • silvertears
    silvertears Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have the same concern - I want to lose 135 lbs. I have a friend that has lost over 100 lbs and she said that she does have some excess skin especially in her abdomen and her doctor told her to give it some time to see if it shrinks any but she may have to have a tummy tuck. I think it just depends on your body and your skin's elasticity. You're still young, so there is hope =)
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    For me yes. Is it something I can avoid, HECK NO! :grumble: And my husband would not for one second think we should finance it either. I am down 130 pounds , I want to lose another 45 pounds. I have loose skin on my inner thighs, tummy, boobs, and arms. I dont see it bouncing back for me, considering I am 39 and have been really overweight since I Was 18. ITs just not going to happen.
    BUT , I look at it this way, Loose skin is a whole lot better than fat filled skin!!

Good luck! :drinker:
  • calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I am scheduled for surgery on Dec 17. I weigh 140 and I topped out at 172 during one of my pregs. My stomach needs fixing as well as my boobs. I think it might be inevitable if you want your clothes to look good. However, I think some people have more elastic skin than others. My friend drank a lot of water while losing weight and she doesn't need p.s.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    What's the cost for something like that?
  • Shelley130
    Options
    Most of the stuff I have read:
    the general rule of thumb is anything over 80 pounds lost will result in excess skin.

having a tummy tuck for a 30 pound pregnancy is just vain, but for losing over 100 pounds might be something to look in to.

Most Dr. will require you to be at goal weight for 6 months to a year before doing the surgery.
  • StacieRoth
    StacieRoth Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have lost 137 pounds all together, and I do have some skin that needs removed... but I have done the good thing with working out to tone the muscle under the skin, don't let having the extra skin stop you in your weight loss though. Even with the excess skin I look and feel great!
  • daybyday815
    Options
    it totally depends on your genes and age. some are luckier then others, but it can always be fixed! oh also i've been told that losing slowly while toning will help.
  • amandadaisylotus
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help! I'm losing about 2 pounds a week which I know will slow down the longer I stick with this and the more I lose. I'm thinking about putting some money away for the future "in case" is all. I'm not letting loose skin stop me trust me. Like one of you said, loose skin is better than fat filled skin! It does seem a bit inevitable but we'll see. I do drink A LOT of water and I am going to start toning... but I could easily see myself needing a tummy tuck, since I carry a lot of weight there, and it's already saggy. Time for some core training!
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    Your genes will decide for you, IMO. I think you can help things along, but as for knowing whether or not your skin will ''snap back'' look to the women in your family. But again, thats JMO. :smile: GL!! :flowerforyou:
  • czewwhat
    Options
    What's the cost for something like that?

tummy tuck, around $4500. That sagging flap of skin can weigh as much as 15 pounds! I say get there and go for it!

As far as the vain comment,from the other poster, We each have to wear our own skin, plastic surgery or not. Vain has nothing to do with it! you get to live once, no dictation about how anyone else should do it seems best for me.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    For me yes. Is it something I can avoid, HECK NO! :grumble: And my husband would not for one second think we should finance it either. I am down 130 pounds , I want to lose another 45 pounds. I have loose skin on my inner thighs, tummy, boobs, and arms. I dont see it bouncing back for me, considering I am 39 and have been really overweight since I Was 18. ITs just not going to happen.
    BUT , I look at it this way, Loose skin is a whole lot better than fat filled skin!!

Good luck! :drinker:

I am right there with ya! My thighs and butt have the loose skin - I am so much better off than before and I can wear longer shorts (that I find more appropriate at my age) anyway! I am not saying I'd never do it but I just can't justify the expense at this point.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    the general rule of thumb is anything over 80 pounds lost will result in excess skin.

having a tummy tuck for a 30 pound pregnancy is just vain, but for losing over 100 pounds might be something to look in to.

Most Dr. will require you to be at goal weight for 6 months to a year before doing the surgery.

It's not vain and I do take offence. I would love to have a tummy tuck. I'm a very small person 5 feet tall, 90 pounds and I was 88 pounds when I got pregnant and went up to 115 at my heaviest. I looked at if I had a watermelon in my stomach. In fact if you had looked at me from behind you would not have known I was pregnant...but when I turned to the side it was like a mac truck trying to take a left turn, lol. My entire stomach is covered in stretch marks and loose skin. My belly button went from an innie to an outie my ab muscles were split and no amount of excersize can get them back togeather...only surgery. I know that I do not have a weight issue that most on this site have...I'm hear for the fitness part and getting back in shape.
  • czewwhat
    Options

It's not vain and I do take offence. I would love to have a tummy tuck. I'm a very small person 5 feet tall, 90 pounds and I was 88 pounds when I got pregnant and went up to 115 at my heaviest. I looked at if I had a watermelon in my stomach. In fact if you had looked at me from behind you would not have known I was pregnant...but when I turned to the side it was like a mac truck trying to take a left turn, lol. My entire stomach is covered in stretch marks and loose skin. My belly button went from an innie to an outie my ab muscles were split and no amount of excersize can get them back togeather...only surgery. I know that I do not have a weight issue that most on this site have...I'm hear for the fitness part and getting back in shape.

you go for it! some obgyn's now routinely do a tuck after a c section as a part of their service! I wish mine would have. that roll of skin has never left and my c section was 26 years ago!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

you go for it! some obgyn's now routinely do a tuck after a c section as a part of their service! I wish mine would have. that roll of skin has never left and my c section was 26 years ago!

Oh I would...but since it would be cosmetic my insurance won't cover it...it'll be a few years before I can afford it...but by the time I'm 30 it will be done. :bigsmile:
  • amandadaisylotus
    Options
    Your genes will decide for you, IMO. I think you can help things along, but as for knowing whether or not your skin will ''snap back'' look to the women in your family. But again, thats JMO. :smile: GL!! :flowerforyou:

That would require the women in my family to have lost weight. :laugh: They are all still quite large.
  • lizzyksm
    Options

That would require the women in my family to have lost weight. :laugh: They are all still quite large.

Maybe you'll inspire them :drinker:
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    When I reach my goal I will have a tummy tuck and anything else that may need to be tucked or lifted will be.

To say that getting a tummy tuck is in vain for a 30 lb pregnancy gain is very rude. She has to be comfortable in her own skin:laugh: so who are we to judge anyone?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I think if you drink lots of water (to increase the skin's elasticity), work out and tone up, and lose weight slowly, you won't see the saggy skin you are fearing. Not to say you will completely firm up, but I don't think you will have THAT saggy, flabby excess hanging skin you are worried about. BUT it is all very individual, so there is a chance. Don't worry about that yet. :flowerforyou: Get to your goal weight.

I was 250 at my highest during my pregnancy. I'm down almost 100 lbs from that now. While my stomach is covered in stretch marks and increasingly flabby (misshapen from the pregnancy, a c-section and two other stomach surgeries), it has improved DRASTICALLY. I'm now 16 lbs from my goal weight of 135 lbs and I'm not nearly as self conscious of my saggy, flabby stomach as I was before. Will I ever wear a bikini? Highly doubtful. The stretch marks and surgery scars are horrible to look at and will never go away. I've accepted that. Life is what it is.

One remark about having plastic surgery --- there is inherent risk involved. I chose to have a breast reduction. It was medically necessary, meaning I met all their strenuous requirements, but I chose to have it, meaning in that I wouldn't have died without it. The surgery went great, recovery went great EXCEPT I had a complication weeks later from the pain meds --- the motrin caused a perforated ulcer in my stomach to blow out. This was a life threatening complication -- without surgery I would have died in a matter of days. It was excruiciatingly painful and required me to clear out my meager savings to pay for my part of the bill. I have a huge scar that runs from my naval to the bottom of my rib cage where the surgeons had to go in and patch my stomach back up.

Now, would I have that breast reduction again, knowing what I know now? Yes.
    But remember there are risks.

This has been a Public Service Announcement from your local PhoenixRising :tongue: