Brown bag lunch ideas

Options
Kmachado9
Kmachado9 Posts: 17 Member
I am a full time college student. I started two years ago. I get tired of always bringing a sandwich and have decided to limit my bread intake. The college I go to does not have many healthy alternatives and is very expensive. There is only one small microwave in the cafeteria and it does not work very well. Does anyone have any good healthy ideas as to what I could pack with me this fall? I go to school five days a week and I will be on campus all day.

Replies

• Kmachado9
    Options
    Anyone? I would appreciate some ideas. This is important to me.
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    You could get a cold pack lunch carrier and put things like yogurt, cottage cheese, apple slices, maybe some low cal crackers, jerky, etc etc. That what I did anyway back in the day :) In the winter or colder times of year I would use a Thermos and carry hot soup or stew or even oatmeal, and have that.
  • myownadvice
    myownadvice Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    A good way to replace bread but still have a "sandwich" is to use romaine lettuce leaves to create a wrap. You can still use whatever you would normally build into your sandwich. I would also recommend bringing things that are easy to snack on through the day like nuts (portioned out), trail mix, fruit, etc.
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I always pack my partner 4 vita wheats and a can of tuna (YUCK) a museli bar and some of those breakfast biscuits as he works over breakfast as well.
  • bpmartyr
    bpmartyr Posts: 141
    Options
    I pack a piece of salmon or lean chicken breast, steamed broccoli, portioned almonds, a bag of edamame, blueberries, sugar snap peas, baby carrots, cucumber slices etc., a blender bottle with protein powder, yogurt, apples, peaches.

Really, just about anything who would use as healthy staples at home can be placed in a lunch box. I am away from home 9+ hours every day and with some pre planning, always have the food I need. I will marinate and grille/bake a weeks worth of salmon and chicken on the weekend so it is ready to go for lunch and dinner all week. Boring but effective. Abs are built in the kitchen, not the gym :)
  • VintageFit
    VintageFit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    - pre-cut salad, dressing in a separate container so you can mix it fresh!
    - if you have a sink to drain it, a can of tuna is nice to munch on as long as you don't mind the smell.
    - carrots cut into sticks and a healthy cream cheese dip
    - any fruit/vegetable that can be eaten on the go, apples, pears, peaches, cucumber slices, celery, etc.
    - I like the wrap-idea with lettuce instead of tortillas!
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    They make lunch containers now so you can separate all sorts of stuff!
    But if you don't have one, then plastic bags can work too.

Use tortilla's instead of bread. They make whole wheat and low carb. You can put anything you want on it!
    Asian style, or turkey and cheese, add any veggies you want! You can spread hummus or mustard on it.
    The possibilities are ENDLESS!
    cut up veggies and hummus
    an apple or banana
    salad and salsa instead of dressing
    lettuce wraps are good.. but I find I have to roll them in foil or saran wrap to keep them together.
    I guess you could keep it separate until you're ready to eat.
    nuts
    trail mix
    yogurt (freeze first and it will be perfect by lunch)
    granola bars
    You can freeze juice boxes to keep things cold too
    string cheese
  • Kmachado9
    Options
    Thank you! These are all great ideas. I appreciate your input. :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • KaydeForce
    KaydeForce Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I like to bring salads and wraps as well as yogurt and fresh fruit.

If you want you can look me up on pinterest (same username as here); I have a board called "recipes for school." Just fyi...
  • aesalameh
    aesalameh Posts: 1
    Options
    I know how hard it is to pack your lunch while in school cause you're always studying or in class or something.

What I do is pre pack lunches ahead of time and leave them in the fridge. like sunday night, i'll make salads and grill chicken or shrimp for the salad and just pack for M,T,W. Then Weds night I only have to do Th Fr.

Besides salads, I usually pack some sort of protein and veggies. It's always good to mix up your salads. Like one day do a BBQ style, the next Mediterranean, taco salad, etc. just make sure you're going easy on the dressing and not including heavy cheeses etc. You can even do a burger in a bowl and do a hamburger or turkey burger.

You can do a taco platter (grill some meat, use veggies, and black beans) without the tortilla.

Also, Alvarado St. bread is 2 slices for 100 (granted they're small) but it's enough to make a good sandwich and side salad as your lunch.

try joining websites like fitness.com, too. they post recipes and send emails to help out all the time!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I always did lots of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (better at room temp anyway because the peanut butter is soft). Lots of meal bars like special K...

Best bet is to get an insulated lunch bag. Opens up your options SO much.
  • bethanp
    bethanp Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Just to add onto the tuna idea- rather than having to drain a can of tuna, you can buy tuna packets and bring crackers/ cut veggies to go with them. They make some great flavors, the lemon pepper one being a personal favorite
  • Ibelievenme2
    Ibelievenme2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    When I drove trucks way back in 1992 my driving buddy and I had this small container that heated our food while we drove. Now fast forward. They have the same thing for regular car drivers you plug into your cigarette lighter. I am saying all this to say you can cook your meals and have it in your car staying warm. They have a lunch box you can plug in the wall(hard to find) Walmart have the insulated bags that keep your food warm for 8 hours. You also can do thermos. They are not cheap, but your food stay warm for 4 hours. I use to pack my son's lunch at 7 am real hot and by 11 am he said it was still warm not hot. I even packed a hamburger patty in it. I had to cut in half. You don't have to sacrifice your health eating for stuff you don't want or cold cut. I have included a website. Also if you are near a truck stop go in and view all the great compact items for on the go. Good luck.
    I found the heated lunchbox. Look about the same big and ugly. If you chose to use one that plug into your car don't leave plug in to long with the engine off or you wontt be able to crank later.(will kill battery)

www.thermos.com/product_catalog.aspx?CatCode=LUNC
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wagan-7-Liter-12v-Auto-Personal-Fridge-Warmer/14521526

http://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp2/sc/shopexd.aspx?id=158456&PLC=1&GFM=41&referer=http://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp2/product/koolatron-12v-lunch-box-stove-cooks-and-warms/12v-appliances/158456/158456.aspx&EOR=x&ESR=2&dir=shp2&b=sf5c&w=1024&h=643&f=N&tp=120740&frompg=99&topg=99&menupage=0
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I bring a soft-sided cooler with me to work and leave my items in there (vs. packing in the fridge) so I am sure you can do the same for school. It makes pre-logging so easy too. Just get a few tupperwares and start packing food in with an ice pak. You can do salads, fruits, yogurt, wraps, bars and pre-packaged protein shakes. Bring water and you are good to go! I usually pack my lunch + 2 snacks.