Healthy Skinny Girl Diet??

Options
So i was researching the Healthy Skinny Girl Diet because one of my friends on this site was talking about it! I found this blog of a young girl who wrote how her diet plays out and how many calories she eats each day of the month!

Day 1. 900 calories

Day 2. 800 calories

Day 3. 900 calories

Day 4. 1000 calories

Day 5. 950 calories

Day 6. 1100 calories

Day 7. 1100 calories

Day 8. 900 calories

Day 9. 800 calories

Day 10. 900 calories

Day 11. 1000 calories

Day 12. 950 calories

Day 13. 1100 calories

Day 14. 1150 calories

Day 15. 900 calories

Day 16. 800 calories

Day 17. 900 calories

Day 18. 950 calories

Day 19. 1000 calories

Day 20. 1100 calories

Day 21. 1150 calories

Day 22. 900 calories

Day 23. 800 calories

Day 24. 950 calories

Day 25. 1000 calories

Day 26. 950 calories

Day 27. 1100 calories

Day 28. 1150 calories

Day 29. 900 calories

Day 30. 900

Does this sound reasonable? Would it actually work!? She states that the only thing about this diet is to eat as much fruit and veggies as you like and not count the calories! Eating anything below 1000 calories a day seems pretty low to me so I would just like to know your guys input!

Replies

• LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Sure, you might lose fast but it sounds like a set up for gaining it all back. And quickly. Not to mention not having enough energy for working out, etc. I say just say no. :noway:
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Sure, you might lose fast but it sounds like a set up for gaining it all back. And quickly. Not to mention not having enough energy for working out, etc. I say just say no. :noway:

^^^mmm hmmm
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    If you don't count veggies in that then it isn't so bad as long as you eat a lot of them.
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Way too few calories. Eat your BMR and exercise if you want to run a higher deficit.
  • veggieshark
    veggieshark Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I mean this could allow you to eat 2000 extra calories of fruit/veggies and let you think it's okay, and then you'll be confused why you're not losing. And then again you could do the exact opposite and starve your body. Fad diets aren't reliable and don't work long-term. Take it from a recovering anorexic who has considered many of them including yes--the healthy skinny girl diet!
  • hollietkac
    hollietkac Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Our bodies need almost that many calories just to exist in a day (performing necessary bodily functions, etc). Any additional movements or activities of any kind put you over that but you will have no nutrients so you could end up being lethargic. Doesn't sound like a sound idea.

Just eat your goal amount as calculated on this site but try doing something daily like incorporating a veggie dish versus a processed side dish.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I got a little hungry just reading that. :(
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I would say it's a bad idea. On the one hand you could end up not getting enough calories because you don't eat enough fruits and veggies, and on the other you might get a ton of calories and not even realize it. Take the guesswork out and just log your food and get a reasonable but not extreme deficit and any dieter is bound to be better off in the long term.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I mean, it's better than the original SGD which is a pro-ana starvation diet for sure, but it's still really low in calories and there's no scientific justification for it- someone just made it up. It's going to set yourself up for failure and here's why: eating excessively low calories causes you to sacrifice muscle mass in the process- so you lose the weight, but a high percentage of it is muscle. Then, when you get to your goal weight your BMR will be lower than it would be if you loss the weight without losing as much muscle. It's difficult to get muscle back, so it will be difficult to maintain the low calories and you will end up re-gaining some weight, with most of the regained weight being fat.

Long story short, you will likely end up regaining all the weight with more of it being fat than you have on your body now.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    SInce when is 800 to 1150 calories "healthy"?

Ditch the fad, eat less, exercise more, end of story.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    If you actually eat all the fruit and veggies you want, I don't see a problem with it..I saw a girl that is doing to to figure out self control with eating.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    So i was researching the Healthy Skinny Girl Diet because one of my friends on this site was talking about it! I found this blog of a young girl who wrote how her diet plays out and how many calories she eats each day of the month!

Day 1. 900 calories

Day 2. 800 calories

Day 3. 900 calories

Day 4. 1000 calories

Day 5. 950 calories

Day 6. 1100 calories

Day 7. 1100 calories

Day 8. 900 calories

Day 9. 800 calories

Day 10. 900 calories

Day 11. 1000 calories

Day 12. 950 calories

Day 13. 1100 calories

Day 14. 1150 calories

Day 15. 900 calories

Day 16. 800 calories

Day 17. 900 calories

Day 18. 950 calories

Day 19. 1000 calories

Day 20. 1100 calories

Day 21. 1150 calories

Day 22. 900 calories

Day 23. 800 calories

Day 24. 950 calories

Day 25. 1000 calories

Day 26. 950 calories

Day 27. 1100 calories

Day 28. 1150 calories

Day 29. 900 calories

Day 30. 900

Does this sound reasonable? Would it actually work!? She states that the only thing about this diet is to eat as much fruit and veggies as you like and not count the calories! Eating anything below 1000 calories a day seems pretty low to me so I would just like to know your guys input!

Since you can eat as much fruit and veggies you like, you can make up the calories that are needed in that so I think its doable.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    So if you were eating 400-500 calories in fruits and veggies everyday (and you'd have to count to know for sure) and eating back some work out calories, if you work out -- I think that would be that would be totally fine. But then, I'd rather just eat 1,600 calories, track all my food intake and exercise so I can like, be aware of my body cause that actually seems more healthy.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    if that interests you then i would suggest to just zig-zag your calories. calculate your calorie goal then disperse it over a week period and have some days higher some days lower

for example say you've calculated your daily goal should be 1500 cals you could do this

day 1 1250
    day 2 1800
    day 3 1350
    day 4 1400
    day 5 1450
    day 6 1575
    day 7 1675

and so on
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    19596135.jpg
    >>>>>IMPORTANT!!! To get your numbers right please visit---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 <---read the instructions. I lay everything out to help you have a true fat burning diet.<<<<<<<
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    I ate like that for years...and now I'm here trying to lose the weight I gained.
  • kit_rose
    kit_rose Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have eaten like this before many times with no issues. The minimum 1200 calorie/day is a just a recommendation (though an accurate one), and it all depends on your bone mass and muscle mass/height. So many people can thrive off less than 1200 cals/day especially if you are not counting veg/fruit.
    This time last year I was eating 1000-1300 cals/day and all raw vegan, I went for tests to track my vit/mineral/protein levels and they were perfect save for vitamin D. In fact, before I went on a raw diet, I was eating so many nuts thinking I needed more protein as a vegan that I developed a few kidney infections triggered by stress (I was eating 90+g protein/day sometimes!!). So I think this is totally a healthy option, but only if you ease into it and are aware of the nutrients in the foods you plan to eat. 1200+ cals is recommended because sharply restricting can shock your system, and if you eat less than 1200 cals you must plan your foods carefully to get all the micronutrients, but all the more reason to eat only nutrient-rich foods!
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Good lord that sounds terrifying to me.

Maintaing 95 lbs on 1800-2100 calories a day (while lifting heavy). I think If I dropped my calories that low I'd be comatose. Eating at that deficit could get you immediate results, but clearly isn't the best long term option.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    the 'skinny girl diet' is popular on pro ana forums... with less calories that this - obviously some 'clever' person has added a few hundred cals and called it the 'healthy skinny girl diet'.... that still doesnt make it healthy!