What is your workout & work schedule?

Options
I'm thinking about changing my work hours because I seem to have a very hard time getting a workout in. Right now I have to get out the door by 7:30am at the latest, which means that I have to get up by 5:30am to get a 30-min workout in (I would like to workout a little longer). Whenever I try to workout after work (I get home around 5-5:30pm), something ALWAYS comes up or I am just too tired.
Just wondering what everyone does - morning or evening? What type of workout do you do? What type of work schedule do you have?

Replies

• joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    im up at 6 every morning. at the gym by 7. i lift weights till 8:20ish. take a quick shower and get to work around 9. i work at an auto body shop, normally 9-5 sometimes later. today i stayed until 8.
  • GracieLion
    Options
    I lock the door so my boyfriend can't barge in, then dance around my room to Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and Beyonce for 30 minutes. It's so quick, makes me feel like a sex kitten and burns lots of calories. Also don't forget to include your housework in your calorie counter, if one of the things that is always coming up to take over your workout time is housework or yard work you can count that as long as it is sort of vigorous.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning (running, biking or strength training). I get up at 5:30, start my workout around 5:50 and workout for about 40 minutes. If I don't dawdle after my workout, I can usually be to work between 7:15-7:30.

I've found over the years, that I need to workout in the morning, because no matter how much I try to tell myself I will do it after work, I rarely follow through.
  • agent99oz
    agent99oz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I work FT with 2 kids - I start work at 7.20am :) No time for a workout in the morning

8.30pm on wards is when I train, every night no excuse. I make this my hour of power! I see it like this, I do this for me I am not doing this for anyone else, I like me, I don't want to let myself down and No one else is going to do this for me..

I also find an event to train for - I signed up for a 10km yesterday - I torn my ankle 18 weeks ago which threw my plans out for a half. Anyway I signed up for a smaller run instead - this keeps me focused. I know I need to train for this so therefore it motivates me.

Also if you are going to workout in the morning some secrets others do
    - Sleep in their workout gear
    - Have the stuff by the bed and as soon as the alarm goes, get up and do it

Good luck! It's all a journey :smile:
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym twice a week at lunch time. On non-gym days, I get a couple of nights in of walking for 2 miles.
  • nixism
    nixism Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I work in an office from 8am till 4pm most days, its dark before and after at the mo.
    I am up at 630am to feed the horses, then work, then out at 4.30pm-5.30pm to feed the horses, then dinner time and bed.
    Time for working out??? Not alot, when there are kids to feed etc... I am trying to fit in walking on the weekends and I am looking to invest in an exercise bike or something for home too. Things will be easier in summer, once the light kicks in.
  • RaysfanATL
    RaysfanATL Posts: 94
    Options
    my work schedule varies, I work for an airline and travel a lot. If I am working from the office, I usually work afternoons. If I am not flyng, I work out in the morning for about an hour, 35-40 minutes cardio and another 25 minutes strength. I read somewhere on here to do strength training first, then cardio...but I tried it for a few weeks, and I seem to do better with cardio first.

I also find that if i wait to exercise in the afternoon, I don't get it done. I love working later in the morning or afternoons, because when I work out in the morning I have more energy for the day.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I get up around 5:30-5:45 depending on what workout I'm doing, and I leave for work at 8.
  • nixism
    nixism Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I work FT with 2 kids - I start work at 7.20am :) No time for a workout in the morning

8.30pm on wards is when I train, every night no excuse. I make this my hour of power! I see it like this, I do this for me I am not doing this for anyone else, I like me, I don't want to let myself down and No one else is going to do this for me..

I also find an event to train for - I signed up for a 10km yesterday - I torn my ankle 18 weeks ago which threw my plans out for a half. Anyway I signed up for a smaller run instead - this keeps me focused. I know I need to train for this so therefore it motivates me.

Also if you are going to workout in the morning some secrets others do
    - Sleep in their workout gear
    - Have the stuff by the bed and as soon as the alarm goes, get up and do it

Good luck! It's all a journey :smile:

What a happy and positive post!!! Awesome work :)

Do you have work out gear at home, or someone to sit the kids while you go to the gym - thats my prob... no one else is around to look after the little ones, so I have to stay home. Can't wait to get my ex-bike, I already have a swiss ball and dumbells.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5.30 and am at the gym at 5.40 - work out till 7am, shower and am at work at 7.30. I tried going after work but always came up with some sort of excuse. Morning work best, I am energised all day!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:45 am every day. Workout from 5-6 am, out the door by 6:30. Its the only way I can fit my workout in and still see my family.
  • aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Depends. Right now I work from 7:30 to 4:30. I usually work out from 5 or 6 to 7 or 8 depending on the days and if I have to make dinner =) Trying to get my body on a good enough sleep schedule so that I can get to workout in the morning too.
  • sweetpotatofry
    sweetpotatofry Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm up somewhere between 6:30-7am, leave for work at 8, and get home after 6pm. Dinner and then usually workout at 9 for 30-60 min.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I'm a Mon-Fri girl, 8a to 5p. I walk during my breaks at work, (2) 10 min and 1/2 of my hour lunch. After sitting at a desk all day, walking a bit helps a lot. When I get home at 5:30p, I get right into sweats and workout. I do 30 to 60 minutes each evening, depending. Right now I do the Weider X Factor ST, so I've got a pretty set schedule. And I walk on Saturdays, but more leisurely, almost a recovery/relaxation walk.
  • desi9837
    desi9837 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I walk to work every morning to arrive at work at 9:30 (30 minute walk). I walk back home for another 30 minutes at 5:30. Besides that I run at least 3 times a week and do some weight training. Sometimes I'm wondering if I should continue to count my walks to and from work as exercise since I don't consider it an "work-out" although it's technically exercise. Thoughts?
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I work 8-4:30 Monday thru Friday. I work at home everyday but Thursday. My workout schedule on Mon is 6:30-8am (gym, weights), Tues 7-8am (gym, cardio), Wed 6:30-8am (gym weights), Thurs 5:30-6:30pm (my actual work day) (gym, cardio), and 6:30-8am( gym weights) on Friday, Saturday (9-10am, gym, cardio). If something happens where I can't go the gym I work out at home......................
  • RaysfanATL
    Options
    We also have a gym here at work, when I work out of the office, fully equipped with personal trainers and spinning classes, showers, towels etc.....only $20.00 a month to join. It makes it much easier, many employees work out during their lunch hour! It is a great atvantage to work at my company headquarters when I can.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 5:30 for work (work 7am to 4pm in the summer). I walk 2 miles nearly every day at work during lunch (4mph) and do my more intense workout in the evening, starting between 7:30-8:30. I do 3 miles of regular running or HIIT on the treadmill and 20 mins or so of lifting.

My kids are older - 19 (moved out) and 14, so it's a lot easier for me to say "come get me if you need something, don't burn down the house" when I go downstairs to workout.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I work 8am-4:30pm, run home and let the dog out, change my clothes, grab a banana and hit the gym about 6pm to 7pm. Then I come home, shower, eat dinner, and do a minimum of 2 hours school work every night. I work full time and go to school full time. Working out in the morning isn't an option.. I just can't do it. But, I make it a priority, 60 minutes a day.
  • RaysfanATL
    Options
    I walk to work every morning to arrive at work at 9:30 (30 minute walk). I walk back home for another 30 minutes at 5:30. Besides that I run at least 3 times a week and do some weight training. Sometimes I'm wondering if I should continue to count my walks to and from work as exercise since I don't consider it an "work-out" although it's technically exercise. Thoughts?

I think that is a great work out! When I worked in NYC, I loved walking from the Long Island railroad station at Penn Station to uptown, I was in the best shape back then!