Up to 8 minutes on elliptical

Options

Replies

• Nessy808
    Nessy808 Posts: 8
    Options
    Yes, that was me in 2007 - I bought me an elliptical machine because it was hard, and I wanted something to challenge me. After 5 minutes I was about to DIE! (not literally), each time I pushed my self to do another minute, and another and another. Eventually I got up to 15 minutes and was able to increase the resistance.

I am now able to do 60 minutes straight utilzing one of the fat buring/weight loss options (pre-programmed option). But it's now almost 5 years later.

Keep at it, don't give up!
  • mdchrisley
    Options
    I had a older elliptical and it was so hard to do 10mins. I have a sole now, with a smooth drive and It makes it so much easier than my nordictrack was. You are doing a great job, keep it up. That is what it takes, a little at a time. Just remember anything we do is getting us a little closer to our goals.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I started at 5 minutes, and eventually (over 3 months) got to 60 minutes! It's the small steps. I try to start within my target heart rate. I would do it until I either could not move my body or my heart rate is too high.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Yes I have been there. When I am able to stay on a piece of equipment for an hour, I move on. The elliptical is my OLD FAITHFUL! I rode it twice this weekend. Keep pushing forward and let us know when you get to 15 mins, 20 mins and 30 mins! GREAT MILESTONES to achieve. OUTSTANDING WORK!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    good job OP, just keep at it and you'll be at 30 minutes.

i definitely know how you feel. when i first started doing the versaclimber back in feb/march, i thought i was in reasonably good cardio shape. the first time i could barely do 5 minutes before needing to rest and hoping back on. i took me 30 minutes to get to 15 minutes! now i stay on indefinitely . the longest i've gone is 45 minutes and i stopped cus i got bored :laugh:
  • 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Me too! I couldn't even do a complete minute. I pushed hard and added a minute every second day, now I do 30 mins easily. I could do more, but I stay around 20-30, just a quick work out in the evening.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Good job!

I started at 10 minutes on the elliptical, now I'm up to 25 minutes. It's really hard work but it burns quite a few calories in the process. I warm up with 10-15 minutes on the treadmill first to prepare myself for it. :laugh:
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Your doing fine. I'm like you I started at one minute and thought I would die. I'm now up to 20 minutes. My advice is to go slower. I don't go nearly as fast as some others do. Once I hit 30 minutes I will stay at that and then increase my speed. Good Luck.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    been there! did 30 minutes yesterday! slow and steady, and sometimes even slower when i was tired. tried a new trick yesterday... i was listening to music and decided to take it kinda slow, but still a medium pace. then when the chorus of the song came on, i went as fast as i could. chorus was over, i slowed down, chorus came back, i went as fast as a i could. seemed like a minute or so at moderate pace, then about 20 to 30 seconds as fast as i could. it got me thru the last 5 or 6 minutes.

good luck and keep working hard!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    When I started working out back in September I had a resting heart rate of 80 and couldn't do more than a couple of minutes on the elliptical. Less than a year later my resting HR is 55 and I can easily handle an hour of intense cardio. It'll happen faster than you think, just don't give up.
  • Kangie08
    Kangie08 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Wow, reading all of these posts has been very encouraging to me as well. I am only at 2 minutes on the elliptical as well. I will continue to push myself until I get to 30 minutes. Great post...
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I get extremely bored on mine (even with music) so I break it up. I do 10 or 15 minutes at the beginning of my workout (after stretching of course) then I do some circuits using my ball and incorporating my kettlebell into the mix. After a few circuits I go back to the machine and do 10 or 15 more. By the end of all that I'm sweating and oh so tired, but feeling like I've accomplished something.
    So maybe try to make a routine that incorporates some of your favorite exercises. You might find that you can go longer if its not all in one chunk. :flowerforyou:
  • Mctree20
    Mctree20 Posts: 137
    Options
    Turn off the clock and make distance your goal. Then try and go a little further each week.

Watching the clock tick down is soul destroying.
  • The_Iron
    The_Iron Posts: 288
    Options
    The first 10 minutes are the hardest. Your heart rate is increasing and stressing your cardiovascular system. You are starting to break a sweat... but I promise you as you go on, it gets EASIER because you get your body into a rhythm with the machine so your movements are in tune with your breathing. Before you know it, you will be going for 60+ minutes.

The key is to entertain yourself. iPod, TV show, etc. When I get on, my machine is right in front of the TV with a kick @ss show on. It makes the time go by sooo much faster.
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    oh Lynn let me tell you. I did the same thing. When i first started it about killed me to try and even get in 2 minutes, which i couldn't do. by the time 5 months rolled around at working out on it 3 times a week i could do 45 minutes and wanted more. they had to tell me to get off as someone else might want to use it too. I have had to start over again after a huge about of time, like 3 years, but i can ride for 30 minutes after a couple of months. Keep it up you will get there and be loving it.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    When I first got my elliptical, I could not stay on it for a whole minute! I worked my way up on the elliptical to 3 minutes, then 5 minutes, now I am at 8 minutes. I cannot even imagine staying on it for 30 minutes. Has anyone else had this problem?

I never believed I could run a marathon, but I can and I have and so much of it was mental.

As long as you build gradually... YES, YOU CAN DO IT! You need to believe you can. :smile:
  • Jackieonappy
    Jackieonappy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The first time i went on an elliptical, i lasted 30 seconds and almost fell off. It gets easier, i promise. I can now do more than an hour easily. Keep up the good work! You'll get there.
  • taytaylynn3
    taytaylynn3 Posts: 601
    Options
    When i first started last year i started at about 8 minutes and slowly climbed to 15. Now i can do an hour and a half no problem. Don't worry it takes time!!!
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Turn off the clock and make distance your goal. Then try and go a little further each week.

Watching the clock tick down is soul destroying.

Distance, Yes!
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Stick with it!!!! When I started exercising 2 years ago, I could only stay on it for 8 minutes! Now, the longest I can go is 45 min!!! Don't quit...the more you do it the longer you'll do it!