Apple Cidar Vinegar to help with weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    To all the comedians out there, the health benefits of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, ex Braggs with Mother of Vinegar in it have been well documented and it has been used to aid skin problems, diabetes, heartburn, obesity, sunburn, yeast infections, arthritis, high cholesterol and blood pressure and dandruff for centuries. Will drinking ACV daily mean it will cure you of everything, no. But then again nothing is a cure all, that doesn't negate the fact that it could be beneficial to you. I have taken it diluted with water and it did make me feel full much quicker. It is an acquired taste one I still haven't gotten used to hence my lack of commitment to it. Still I won't bash or criticize others who choose to give ACV a try. My sister uses it on her hair and raves about the results. There are a lot of natural products out there that do wonders, ACV just happens to be one of them.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    So much criticism. :laugh:
    I've started taking it to simply help with bloat and it does work for a lot of people with those issues. As others have said though, nothing is a cure all. Weightloss will come down to your diet. ACV might help you with digestion and other factors but it's not going to make you lose weight.
  • wilkyway
    wilkyway Posts: 151
    Options
    Okay, calm down people.
    Certain things aren't for everybody. No need to go bashing posts, just because it doesn't fit your thing or diet/lifestyle philosophy.

I take it after large, rich meals, diluted with plenty water. Also, sometimes first thing in the morning.
    For me it works, I feel good, no nasty side-effects. I eat a lot of raw foods and legumes and have noticed far less bloat and gas. *pardon me*

To each his own, but please folks, mind the bad language and aggressive tone. This ought to be a friendly community, and even criticism can be but politely :wink:

:flowerforyou:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    To all the comedians out there, the health benefits of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, ex Braggs with Mother of Vinegar in it have been well documented and it has been used to aid skin problems, diabetes, heartburn, obesity, sunburn, yeast infections, arthritis, high cholesterol and blood pressure and dandruff for centuries.
    There is centuries of folklore and anecdotal evidence, but actual scientific studies have been very limited and inconclusive. Some studies have shown that it lowered cholesterol in rats, but since we're not rats it's not very applicable. There have been studies indicating that it helps in the management of diabetes, but the study groups were very small. The role of ACV in satiety was studied in 2006 (n=12) and even the authors themselves admitted that more research was needed before firm conclusions could be drawn. One study concluded that it reduced the risk of esophageal cancer, while another concluded that it increased the risk of bladder cancer. On the not-so-healthy side, researchers have hypothesized that it could decrease bone mineral density and have unfavorable, potassium-lowering interactions with laxatives, diuretics, insulin and cardiac medicines.

Here's an article about ACV, complete with a comprehensive nutritional analysis from the USDA Nutrient Database:
    http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2008/04/houston-we-have-problem-apple-cider.html

Below the analysis, the author discusses the nutrient values and notes, "...Its benefits come down to a magical “aliveness” and beliefs in an unseen, unmeasurable vital energy that negates all known laws of physics."

So while there is thousands of years of folklore and unsubstantiated testimonials, there is scant actual scientific evidence to prove the "benefits" of ACV.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    To all the comedians out there, the health benefits of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, ex Braggs with Mother of Vinegar in it have been well documented and it has been used to aid skin problems, diabetes, heartburn, obesity, sunburn, yeast infections, arthritis, high cholesterol and blood pressure and dandruff for centuries.
    There is centuries of folklore and anecdotal evidence, but actual scientific studies have been very limited and inconclusive. Some studies have shown that it lowered cholesterol in rats, but since we're not rats it's not very applicable. There have been studies indicating that it helps in the management of diabetes, but the study groups were very small. The role of ACV in satiety was studied in 2006 (n=12) and even the authors themselves admitted that more research was needed before firm conclusions could be drawn. One study concluded that it reduced the risk of esophageal cancer, while another concluded that it increased the risk of bladder cancer. On the not-so-healthy side, researchers have hypothesized that it could decrease bone mineral density and have unfavorable, potassium-lowering interactions with laxatives, diuretics, insulin and cardiac medicines.

Here's an article about ACV, complete with a comprehensive nutritional analysis from the USDA Nutrient Database:
    http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2008/04/houston-we-have-problem-apple-cider.html

Below the analysis, the author discusses the nutrient values and notes, "...Its benefits come down to a magical “aliveness” and beliefs in an unseen, unmeasurable vital energy that negates all known laws of physics."

So while there is thousands of years of folklore and unsubstantiated testimonials, there is scant actual scientific evidence to prove the "benefits" of ACV.

Luckily I know that it helps control heartburn for ME better than anything else I've tried before - so I don't have to rely on clever people like you to tell me it's anecdotal....
  • TyFit08
    Options

The scientific research on ACV has been limited, but that is true for most natural and alternative therapies. That does not mean these natural and alternative therapies such as ACV don't have any benefits.

Here is another article on ACV from Dr. Mercola. Of course he practices alternative medicine, but he sites studies in his research of ACV : http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/06/02/Apple-Cider-Vinegar-Hype.aspx

I love going to the health food store and looking at all of the natural products out there that could benefit my body. Others would rather not, but centuries of folklore didn't just come to be without some level of truth. Many scientists and pharmaceutical companies are looking to the medicine men and women for answers to many illnesses. I am not saying everyone should stop taking traditional meds for alternatives but don't dismiss its benefits or criticize others on their choices, especially when its working for them.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Maybe it helps with weight loss by revving up some people's,,,, ehem, digestive tracts??? Ever noticed at an airports how much people crap in the middle of the day? Yes, that is because they are constipated and they get to the gate and see the tiny little puddle jumper they are about to fly on and it literally scares the crap out of them. Totally gross that I notice this.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    You guys can play as much as you want but this stuff works. Not that I give a crap that fergie uses it.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I was not playing, that is the truth!
  • mstifb
    mstifb Posts: 230
    Options
    Thanks - going to send a friend request! :flowerforyou:
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    my grandmother drinks either one or two TBLS in a glass of vegetable or tomato juice every day (to avoid the taste). She swears by it for lots of things. Weight control is one. I myself have never tried it, but who knows?
  • csandra1219
    Options
    our country seems to have the mentality that unless things are "certified by the government" or "has been proven with scientific tests" they are useless - these things for the most part include natural remedies. there is a reason why everyone seems to think weight loss supplements or pharmaceutical agents, a mega money making industry, are the only Proven cures for things -
    not to rant, but cmon ppl, try out ACV For Yourselves before jumping on the bandwagon and saying that it doesnt do anything. if it Really didnt do anything, why would So many people Swear by it. try it for a month, see if it affects you. if it does, great. if it doesnt, you have your answer, but every body is different, get outside your own bubble - what may not work for you doesnt mean it wont work for someone else!
    im trying it now for at least 30 days and see if it does anything!
  • TyFit08
    Options
    When I did take it, I had to almost force myself to eat. I was so full.
  • jillianlovesyarn
    jillianlovesyarn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Many scientists and pharmaceutical companies are looking to the medicine men and women for answers to many illnesses. I am not saying everyone should stop taking traditional meds for alternatives but don't dismiss its benefits or criticize others on their choices, especially when its working for them.
    Willow bark is a good example of something that crossed over into mainstream medicine after careful study. There are a number of long-standing natural remedies that have yet to be tested and it may be fair to assert that we just don't know for sure whether or not they do good or harm. However, I will always be skeptical when something has been put to the test repeatedly and has been proven to have little or no value. Some site I happened across while looking into something else mentioned there was a Japanese study that showed some fat burning benefit to ACV but there was no detailed analysis of the study and no link so I have no idea how much weight can really be given to it. Just because you feel like it's helping you doesn't mean it actually is. Self reporting is problematic in terms of any real study. Confirmation bias is an issue. Mistaking correlation for causation can be an issue. Many individuals also don't have the ability to remove all variables when performing an experiment of one. Not to mention that even if the item in question works for you, one person isn't statistically significant and if your experiment can't be repeated with large numbers of other people it's not particularly relevant.

I don't think ACV is going to harm anyone so if people feel like trying it it's not likely a big deal. In my case, I'm going to stick to using it in my marinades and as a rinse for my hair.
  • grotas
    grotas Posts: 28
    Options
    i took it for a while before meals, cuts you're appetite so much, the rest i can't prove maybe didn't do it for long enough...