Bike Shorts....

I bought this bike today (see profile pic) and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It's my first REAL bike so the guys at the local bike shop were showing me things that I should eventually consider buying: bags, lights, helmets, etc.

Then they showed me the bike shorts.... NOT CUTE. Probably comfy but again NOT CUTE! They remind me of a 1980s aerobics class except they aren't neon green! But it made me think, could I just wear normal shorts and use a maxi-pad? Wouldn't that have the same effect?

Thoughts?

Replies

• cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Get bike liners, 20-30 bucks and wear your own shorts.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    I suggest that you swallow your pride and buy the shorts! They look pretty daggy but they really do make a difference.

They are pretty close fitting so if you are self conscious about your rear end you can wear looser shorts over the top - or I've seen some online marketed as "shy shorts" which have the padded lycra underwear and a looser fitting short over the top.
    Or you could add a cute skirt (skirtsports.com) over the top.

I always giggle when I go riding with my husband because his shorts are "Giant" brand, and he has "GIANT" written in very large letters across the back of his shorts. Surely, they would never sell ones like that for women, I certainly don't need to point out how big my backside is!
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    you won't think they are so ugly once you start riding 20+ miles. The padding does more than offer saddle comfort. It keeps bacteria from building up, helps wick sweat, etc.

Why not shop around? What are you looking for? Booty shorts? I hope not.

shop around. just google cycling shorts under google shopping.

edited to say
    I see you have a mountain bike. There is not much need in trying to be cute on the trail. Most folks are dirty, muddy, and sweaty after a good ride. Plus, if you at biking hard, you don't want alot of dirt and mud up your crotch and *kitten*.
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member

I always giggle when I go riding with my husband because his shorts are "Giant" brand, and he has "GIANT" written in very large letters across the back of his shorts. Surely, they would never sell ones like that for women, I certainly don't need to point out how big my backside is!

This made me laugh... I'm wearing shorts right now that say "JUICY" right across my butt!
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Buy the shorts. Do not use a maxi-pad. It will shred and fall out of your shorts in little, bitty bits. Trust me. I didn't do that and learn the hard way. I just went for a bike ride when I was about 15 and happened to be using a maxi-pad. Not a good idea. The shorts are made to withstand friction. You will be happier with the shorts.:flowerforyou:
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    I must not be a real biker cause I just use my regular workout shorts and have been doing so for a few years!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,183 Member
    Buy the shorts. Do not use a maxi-pad. It will shred and fall out of your shorts in little, bitty bits. Trust me.

I knew there had to be ONE good thing about going through menopause. :laugh:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    You can get baggy mountain bike shorts. They look like regular shorts over liners with the pads. This is what I wear. The pads (chamois) are MUCH more effective than a maxi pad. Also make sure your bike seat fits you. The pressure should be on your sit bones and not your crotch.

I have some really cute Fox ones that fit like crap (but they are cute) and some not as cute but better fitting Pearl Izumi ones.
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Shop around til you find a style you like. I love my bike shorts! REI, if I remember correctly.
  • rdennisjr
    rdennisjr Posts: 402 Member
    It's a nice looking bike - you should have lots of fun on it. Go with the shorts - they are made for a reason! Also - not trying to read too much in to what you wrote - but you mentioned 'helmet' under something you should buy some day. Please, Please, Please do yourself a favor and make that something you buy and use on EVERY bike ride you take. The results of even a small bike accident without a helmet (ie - just falling over if you do it wrong) can be catastrophic, even if you don't happen to just die. I know I would have been laughed off the block if I wore one as a kid, but now that I work with folks who have neurotrauma, I realize that a helmet is a critical item!
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    i love my bike shorts -- keeps everything cushy -- Terry is a company that makes great bike clothing for women. you can find it on the web.
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    I've never worn biking shorts (I.e. black spandex) but that's only because I'm too fat to fit into them. With regular shorts the trick is the proper choice of underwear. After 40 miles ye ole nether regions start heating up if things are too tight....REI does sell the liners which can be worn underneath. Also they do sell mountain biking shorts which look way cooler and have padding I think.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Buy the best shorts that you can, they are much more comfortable and last for years. Cheaper ones do not last as long and are not as comfortable on longer rides
  • kimbelder
    kimbelder Posts: 23 Member
    I have a couple of pairs of bike liners - great choice to use with shorts of your choice or longer pants if biking in colder weather. Not a big investment but a big help!
  • tlnurse
    tlnurse Posts: 229 Member
    I bike 15-20 miles....and I have used the "maxi-pad" trick for padding...it does NOT shred into pieces and does help on the bumps....and I can still wear whatever cute shorts I want to with it!:blushing:
  • jallison12
    jallison12 Posts: 83
    The best shorts I have are Sugoi, were about $80. Thick heavy spandex, contour shaped for when you are in riding position and serious padding on the bum. But they were worth every single penny. I look like a prat walking towards my bike, but once I am riding they are perfectly designed.
    My rides are about 90 mins so I need *something* back there. Have you see the size of those road bike saddles?
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member

My hubby used to wear the baggy mountain bike shorts, but now he prefers the liner with his normal gym shorts overtop. It's all a matter of preference.
    But everyone, please, PLEASE be aware that white cycling shorts, which can be see through, may ruin someone's enjoyment of the landscape... I'm glad I am a runner when I hear about these things...
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    The best shorts I have are Sugoi, were about $80. Thick heavy spandex, contour shaped for when you are in riding position and serious padding on the bum. But they were worth every single penny. I look like a prat walking towards my bike, but once I am riding they are perfectly designed.
    My rides are about 90 mins so I need *something* back there. Have you see the size of those road bike saddles?

You canalways get the saddle changedto a more gender specific one, a little wider, and with a pressure relief cut out
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    But everyone, please, PLEASE be aware that white cycling shorts, which can be see through, may ruin someone's enjoyment of the landscape... I'm glad I am a runner when I hear about these things...

what do you mean by "see through"? I live in a cycling city and if, just if, I happen to pay attention to another rider, I haven't seen anything "see through".
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member

My hubby used to wear the baggy mountain bike shorts, but now he prefers the liner with his normal gym shorts overtop. It's all a matter of preference.

Sounds like this may be an awesome story!!!! :drinker: