Not sure how much I should eat?

Options
I'm trying to lose 20 - 25 pounds by Christmas. I'm 138 - 140 now, and 5'3 - 5'4". I'm a girl, and I'm 18. (My profile says 23 because my parents, who know I'm on this site, don't like for me to put my real birthday in my information, although I AM saying my real age here - they don't know about that). According to three different sites, my BMR (including exercise) is 2100 calories so I'm not sure how many to eat to lose 1 - 2 pounds a week, or, 5 pounds a month.

Here is my workout plan:

Mon, Wed, Fri: I'll be doing 20 minutes of strength training (I already have a decent amount of muscle, but yes, some of my weight IS fat, too), alternating muscle groups, followed by 35 - 45 minutes of intense cardio. During my cardio, my heart rate is up the whole time. I only take 2 small breaks to get a drink. I don't want to get too thirsty.

Tues, Thurs: I'll do 15 minutes of HIIT in the morning, before eating breakfast. In the afternoon, I'll do 30 minutes of cardio (varying the exercises I do). During those 30 minutes, my heart rate will be up the whole time.

I'll rest on Saturday and Sunday. Also, on top of exercise, I usually do about 30 minutes of some sort of chores, and I usually play 45 - 60+ minutes of WII in the evening. I know it doesn't count as exercise, but it is more calories being burned.

I was thinking on Mon, Wed and Fri to eat about 1500 calories, and on Tues and Thurs to eat about 1700 and on the days I don't exercise I'll eat about 1200.

Any tips, comments, critics? How many calories do you think I should eat?

PS. Please don't tell me to talk to a professional. I can't, I don't have the money. I also cannot afford to go to the doctor. Thank you!

Also, I keep my diet clean. With lots of vegetables, fruits. whole grains, nuts, chicken, water, and green tea - no sugar added. :)

Replies

• cfregon
    cfregon Posts: 147
    Options
    it takes a negative of 3500 calories to lose a pound. So, create a deficit of 3500 calories over whatever period you'd like to lose a pound.... 3500 deficit per week? Take off 500 a day, etc.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple. You don't have a lot of weight to lose, so it isn't going to come off really quickly.

I suggest that you put your stats into MFP, choose a realistic weight loss goal (probably 1/2 pound a week at your weight) and activity level (not including exercise).
    Eat the cals that MFP suggests plus the cals you burn from exercise.

Focus on exercise that gets you stronger and don't worry so much about the numbers on the scale. If you get stronger muscles then you will look leaner and firmer even if the scales don't change so much.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    I use this. As you've not a lot to lose I wouldn't go more than -15%.
  • lexismomgiraffe
    Options
    I also have 10-15lbs to lose, and it isn't easy. With all the exercise you're planning to do, DO NOT PLAN to see a change in the scale for at least a month. You will be building muscle while you are losing fat. A better measure will be the tape measure I think. Also, some of us gain and lose water weight - gaining in muscle tends to increase your water weight gain. So, don't be discouraged if the scale doesn't immediately show a downward trend - you are changing your lifestyle! Good for you for setting a good routine for your youth - it is harder to change when you're old like me :)