Good walking/ running shoes??

Options
I'm wondering if y'all have any suggestions on any really good, supportive walking/ running shoes?? The ones that I have now make my shins burn and just suck. It's hard for me to find shoes because I have very small feet, I wear a size 5 or 5 1/2 or can wear childrens shoes... any suggestions would be great.. thanks!

Replies

• chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I would go to a place that specializes for runners....I waited til after I had bought 3 pairs - it would have saved me! I went to Foot RX they put me on the treadmill to be sure what support I needed - I have had MUCH less aches and pains after running and much easier recovery since I got my new shoes....mine are mizuno wave rider 12s....I love them.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I love Teva...more of a trail shoe but they are wonderful. I also have very small feet 5.5 or a 6. I do have a pair of New Balance that are for boys and they work wonderful and I wear those when running on tracks or pavement. I typically jog/run on trails though. :happy:
  • jenlwren
    Options
    I like my Gel Asics. and like the previous posts I would buy your shoes from a running shoe store and make sure the sales person is a runner.

Also, have them teach you how to properly lace your shoes...This makes a huge difference
  • abatres7
    abatres7 Posts: 146
    Options
    The asics Gel Kayano have been the best shoes I ever had in my life. I had seen them in a fitness magazine where they compared different shoes. The mizuno brand was the runner up.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Also, have them teach you how to properly lace your shoes...This makes a huge difference
    Meaning if it's snug/tight around the wide part of your foot, and/or at the top? I hate having loose laces, but too tight sucks as well. I like to make it snug the whole way ? or are you talking about lacing through the holes and crossing over etc? lol

Saucony were the shoes I got.
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if y'all have any suggestions on any really good, supportive walking/ running shoes?? The ones that I have now make my shins burn and just suck. It's hard for me to find shoes because I have very small feet, I wear a size 5 or 5 1/2 or can wear childrens shoes... any suggestions would be great.. thanks!

That depends on alot of things; where you run, when you run, if you supinate or overpronate ect. A shoe that is perfect for me could give you horrible shin splints or just not be appropriate for where you are running. If I were you though I would do the research yourself and buy the shoes on amazon, you'll save alot of money that way.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    What is with that shin thing? I don't have good shoes, but just to change up my cardio, I did a speed walk on the treadmill a week or so ago. My shins started burning and stinging and they hurt for DAYS afterwards. I do not want to go through that again, and I wasn't even trying to run..just fastwalking.

Is it my shoes? Or my body being out of shape?
  • papajoey
    papajoey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have always had good luck with New Balance for walking and running shoes. I like them because they come in a variety of widths and I have never had a "break-in" period. I would also suggest going to either a NB store or another retailer to get properly fitted, but once you find your size and are comfortable you can purchase them online with confidence because I have found that their sizes run true throughout their product line.
    Another plus for me is they do have a selection of shoes that are made in the USA including their postal approved walking shoe. I personally have purchased these shoes at least 3 different times and am about to purchase another pair.
    I found out many years ago while working at an industrial job where I was on my feet most of the day, do not cut corners when it comes to your shoes. You need quality shoes to protect your feet, so when I find a good shoe I tend to stay with it.
  • agarlits
    Options
    What is with that shin thing? I don't have good shoes, but just to change up my cardio, I did a speed walk on the treadmill a week or so ago. My shins started burning and stinging and they hurt for DAYS afterwards. I do not want to go through that again, and I wasn't even trying to run..just fastwalking.

It may be that they just have not been worked that hard for a while. If its shin splints it can get way more serious, ask anyone thats ever had them. You get shin splints when your calf muscle develops faster than the muscles on your shins, it feels like of like you shin bone is going to tear out the front of your leg. You can eliminate this problem by streching properly and walking/jogging backwards for a few minutes after you run.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

Stretching calves is necessary like agarlits said.
    What I've read "runners" or "casual shoes" are not made proper for speed walking/running.

Hence go to a shoe store, try some proper running shoes on, see what you like, don't have to buy them there, compare and then go to amazon to get a cheaper price.
    I had some $20 shoes, I tried jogging and got shin splint pain.. I stretched, still got them.. Got new shoes and it went away.
  • LADOGMOM
    LADOGMOM Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have all kinds of feet issues...

I finally went and got professionally fitted at a running store last year...The guy watched me walk and looked at my feet, etc.

He told me I should only wear running shoes because of my ankle and heel issues - even though I'm not a runner...He also recommended some inserts...

I could tell a difference from the first minute the shoes with the inserts were on my feet...

This place sells all different brands of shoes but I ended up with New Balance....It was worth the time I spent driving over there to get fitted and evaluated..It has made a tremendous difference...

Good luck.
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I love my Brooks! Got a 140 dollar pair for 35 bucks on sale.

so comfy!
  • agarlits
    Options
    Adidas was the best fit for me, they make shoes for all different styles, weather conditions and foot needs. Their priced in the mid range where they arent the cheapest brand but not the most expensive. Plus their website has a shoefinder feature that helps you find the right shoe for you before you decide to buy.
  • Peschuntz
    Peschuntz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Ryka and New Balance
  • jessa444
    Options
    You take or leave the advice I'm about to give you but I'm in the marine corps. We know a lot about running trust me. I do probably twice a day. The shoes aren't what are making your "shins burn". you actually aren't stretching properly. Look up how to properly stretch your calves out and it should help with the burning sensation.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I looked into some Mizunos & I love them!
    I went to Zappos (free shipping, free returns) & ordered 4 different pair - over pronated, under, etc.
    I picked a pair & went 4 miles immediately! No break in, nothing.
    I'll send back the others.
    I love them.
  • shera426
    shera426 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I got my shoes through Road Runner http://www.roadrunnersports.com/

They were recommended to me by a friend of my husbands who's a marathon runner. They were amazing over the phone. I had been having problems with my shins and lower back plus my feet ached. So they had me find out what kind of arch I had (using a paper bag & getting my foot wet) Then went through my height, weight, exercise routine to find out what shoes would work best for what I do.
    They have a guarantee on their products to so if you use the shoes and it doesnt' work for you they will take them back or exchange for something else. I would suggest you sign up for their VIP program to. It's completely free and you save $$$...
    there are so many types of shoes out there I know i was intimidated by them all. I thought a shoe was a shoe and it really couldn't make that much difference but i'll be happy to say that I have been doing more walking/running since i've purchased my new shoes.
    Hope that helps, good luck to you :flowerforyou: