Running question...

Options
Ive noticed that every time I run more than 4 miles I get really nauseous...does anyone have any idea why? does this happen to anyone else?

I usually have 8 oz of water and a handful of nuts(raw unsalted almonds) 30 -45 min before running (but even when I dont I still feel sick)

Replies

• chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Ive noticed that every time I run more than 4 miles I get really nauseous...does anyone have any idea why? does this happen to anyone else?

I usually have 8 oz of water and a handful of nuts(raw unsalted almonds) 30 -45 min before running (but even when I dont I still feel sick)

Only thing I can think of is you are pushing harder than you are ready for.
  • jenlwren
    Options
    If you are out there for more than 45 minutes you need to supplement on your run. I recommend a sports drink and/or a gel.. I use a water belt on the days i run over 3 miles.

Check it out

http://www.fuelbelt.com/

If you have any more running questions please hit me up. I coach on the side

Jen
  • Schaff
    Schaff Posts: 83
    Options
    You may be dehydrated and/or need more fuel in the form of carbs. I carry a water bottle with me when I run now, they say if you are running over an hour you need to be re-hydrating and you need to take a energy gel or sports drink to replenish your carbs. I found the greatest water bottle with a hand grip that just slides over my hand and I don't have to grip it or anything. You get used to running with it pretty quickly.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I always have my water with me - I have a new balance belt - I don't drink much but it helps keep me going--even on 2 miles I use it.

Try a small amount of carbs too - maybe 1/2 english muffin with PB instead of just nuts or 1/2 banana with the nuts....

It could also be that 30-45 mintues isn't quite long enough before but it doesn't sound like your eating too much so doubt that's it.
  • allie5199
    allie5199 Posts: 240
    Options
    I was thinking about trying a gel or bar, but I sometimes I feel so sick I don't know if I can keep it down. It feels kind of like an internal cramp (not the muscles, but above my stomach and below my chest)...it kinda feels like I ate an entire meal and did some jumping jacks. I'm wondering if its from all the bouncing.
  • kguevara
    kguevara Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If it feels like a cramp then I suspect that ur dehydrated. Water may not be as helpful as a drink with some electrolytes.
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options

Could be OD, you should watch your breathing technique and make sure your not pushing yourself to a level your body is not prepared for.