Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred

Options
meeky81
meeky81 Posts: 96 Member
Hey guys

I'm about to purchase this...do you need to have hand weights?!

Thanks

Sara

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Yes and an exercise mat.
  • crissy1110
    crissy1110 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Light weights! Even if you use 8, 10 or 12 pound weights during regular weight training, you will likely find these to be way too heavy for the 30DS. I'd say 3-5 pound weights would be sufficient for you.

Also, you might want to consider purchasing a jumprope. While it's not necessary (you can always mimick the act of jumping rope), level 2 has a section where you jump rope.

Good luck :)
  • NatashaHeaney
    Options
    How do u add in an excessive DVD to your daily exercise? I actually did this DVD today, and have no idea how to add it. I'm brand new to my fitness pal, so still learning how to work the site. X
  • 80Ben
    80Ben Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    How do u add in an excessive DVD to your daily exercise? I actually did this DVD today, and have no idea how to add it. I'm brand new to my fitness pal, so still learning how to work the site. X

Most people will log it under Circuit training - General. However, it would be more precise if you calculate it with a heart rate monitor.
  • leahhugh
    leahhugh Posts: 144 Member
    Options

Most people will log it under Circuit training - General. However, it would be more precise if you calculate it with a heart rate monitor.

I log mine by checking my heart rate after each circuit. It is more accurate than this site in my opinion.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine doesn't have hand weights, she just used bottles of water :)
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hey guys

Thanks

Sara

I use 5 pound weights for it. I tried 8 pounds and they were killing me...lol
  • Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I started out without weights, I reckon my bingo wings way enough to take the place of a weight. However my 3lb hand weights arrived yesterday!
  • JennStarC
    JennStarC Posts: 1
    Options
    I use 3 and 5 lb weight for this. I've had it for 3 years and turn to it when I need a switch in my running/training.
  • Byemma
    Byemma Posts: 55
    Options
    I use 1,5 liter water bottles. Those are 3.3lbs and heavy enough! As a mat I just use a garden chair cushion (Is that English?) or a big towel.
  • Sammylynn89
    Sammylynn89 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    30DS isnt that expensive if bought over amazon, but figured I'd let you know you can watch it for free on Youtube. Just search it and its under the BeFit youtube channel. Its a great workout! have fun!
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Definitely 3-5 pounds to start!! I can do 8 now for some of the exercises. I just started her Ripped in 30. I definitely recommend finishing the 30 DS first! It does get results though!!! I blogged pictures of mine. You only need a mat if you are on a hard surface. I have carpet so I didn't use a mat. You don't need a jump rope either, they do not use them in the video and it would frankly be a pain in the rear to try and use one.

As for logging it....I bought a heart rate monitor and 'created a new exercise' called 30 Day Shred Video and logged it that way. It does not burn as many calories as you would think!!! BUT, you are increasing metabolism and you continue to burn cals after the workout which is key. On average I burned between 180-197!!!!! Seemed like so little for so much sweat and pain! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good luck and definitely stick through it, it is SO worth it and it is only 30 days!!!
  • Supermom2422
    Options
    I use 3lb weights
  • stellaskies
    stellaskies Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You'll want to pick up some weights with handles (Target sells 3-5 lb weights with soft handles, I'd rec. those). When you get to level three there is a move that requires you to balance in a plank position with your hands on the weights.
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Mat is optional if you're on carpet. Weights are needed. 5lb weights are what I currently use as well
  • RicochetRabbit
    Options
    I have been doing 30DS since April. I alternate between Level 1, 2 and 3 now. I purchased a heart monitor a couple of weeks ago. I am trying to increase the number of calories I burn per day. I have found that I burn more calories on Level 2 than I do on level 3. I do the 30DS and then Pilates for Dummies for a total of avg 50 minutes 340 calories.
    I am 48. How many calories are you guys burning per day? Heart Monitor is great, because I just had to know if I was sweating with progress. :sad:
  • meeky81
    Options
    A friend of mine doesn't have hand weights, she just used bottles of water :)

Thats a great (and cheaper) idea! thanks
  • meeky81
    Options
    Thanks for everyones responses! :O) x
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Hey guys

Thanks

Sara

The whole DVD (all 3 levels) are on youtube for free!! Yes, you will need hand weights and a yoga mat would help. I use 3lb weights but I just bought some 5lb weights at Target for when I'm ready to go up a little.
  • Ke1ra78
    Ke1ra78 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    30DS isnt that expensive if bought over amazon, but figured I'd let you know you can watch it for free on Youtube. Just search it and its under the BeFit youtube channel. Its a great workout! have fun!

thankyou for the tip. Think I'll try it on there and see how i get on. ;-)