Not working hard enough?

Options
Well three weeks in and i have gained another pound. I'm super careful about my diet, go to the gym for two hours 6 days a week and really try to push myself and weight train with as heavy weights as i can manage and the results are....................nothing. No inches lost, no weight loss NADA instead i gained AGAIN. Today i flagged and was just too tired to do as much as usual probably due to the heat but i cant help feeling maybe im not working hard enough to get any results. Do i need to step it up some more??

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Are you near to your goal weight? It is really difficult to lose the last few pounds.

I had a look at your diary - it seems pretty good. Can you explain the Symington oat bursts?
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I assume your MFP settings are set for a 1 or 2 lb loss per week. On that basis I would say that you are under eating. You are consistently under your allotted calories (when exercise cals are taken into consideration) sometimes by a couple of hundred but commonly 400 ish.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    Are you near to your goal weight? It is really difficult to lose the last few pounds.

I had a look at your diary - it seems pretty good. Can you explain the Symington oat bursts?

Yes i put a teaspoon of it on top of my yoghurt and honey, its minimal calories and makes it taste nice :D but noooooo im miles from my goal weight i'm actually 2 1/2 stone overweight but have set my first target at 12lb loss
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    I assume your MFP settings are set for a 1 or 2 lb loss per week. On that basis I would say that you are under eating. You are consistently under your allotted calories (when exercise cals are taken into consideration) sometimes by a couple of hundred but commonly 400 ish.

i'm not sure what else to eat, i already feel like im constantly eating and my life is revolving around food.
  • Angebartle
    Angebartle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What are you doing for your weight training? Two hours at the gym may be a little too much if you are not refueling your body after an hour. I was told ( and I would love some feedback to see if it is right) that if you do it right 1 hour at the gym is plenty. I was told heavier weights with shorter reps with minmal breaks ( like don't stand around for 5 mins before every set) that way you get out of the gym faster. Do you do total body workouts when you are there? or are you focusing on one body part each visit?
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    are your muscles sore? you could be retaining water - try taking a break from working out for a few days, see what the scale does?
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    What are you doing for your weight training? Two hours at the gym may be a little too much if you are not refueling your body after an hour. I was told ( and I would love some feedback to see if it is right) that if you do it right 1 hour at the gym is plenty. I was told heavier weights with shorter reps with minmal breaks ( like don't stand around for 5 mins before every set) that way you get out of the gym faster. Do you do total body workouts when you are there? or are you focusing on one body part each visit?

that sounds a bit like I overheard my trainer telling one of the gymrats the other day "you know, if you stay here for 2,5 hours in a row, you're doing more harm than good"

me, I don't have the time to stay at the gym for that long, usually I'm done in around an hour, sometimes hour and 15-20 min, depending on how I'm feeling. Some days just suck, but I make sure I always finish my routine, lol
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

i'm not sure what else to eat, i already feel like im constantly eating and my life is revolving around food.

Eat nuts. Good fats, high calories, good source of protein.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options

i do 90 seconds between sets and most of my sets are at only 8 reps on the heaviest i can manage. I alternate doing legs and abs one day and shoulders arms and back the next. Usually i go home and eat a snack (mostly greek yoghurt for protein) and then an hours cardio (15 mins before weight training, 45 mins after)
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    sorry that shouldve been cardio first and then go home and eat not the other way around
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    Im just wondering if you are doing too much weights and little cardio? Muscle as it builds weighs more so might account for weight gainI think you are working too hard a. Hour a day 5 days is plenty I think 1500 cals a day is the least a.yone should eat especially with jigh exercise levels
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    I looked through your diary for the last week and to me it looks like you are just not eatting enough. from everything I have read and I am no expert. You need 1200 calories Net just to fuel your body at rest. most days you had around 1100 calories total and burned between 500-600 calories exercising, this means you were only operating on 500-600 calories net. This is just my opinion from what I have read on here and other sites but you should really eat at least 1200 net everyday
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options

You're not getting much fat in a typical day. Increasing the fat intake will also increase the calories (note: low fat is not necessarily better for you, your body needs fat). Also, I personally find that MFPs protein recommendation is too low. I'd up the protein significantly.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have only had a look at a few days of your diary, but from the amount of exercise you do, you should be eating back your exercise calories. some days you have net under 1000 cals. also, try and get some more protien if you are doing strength training
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Not eating enough. Eat back your exercise cals. Try it or a few weeks and see. Also, your gym time is too long. Every trainer I have ever talked to or any book I've read says if you spend more than 45 minutes, you are wasting your time. I spend 60, but somewhere I. That range is more healthy. Figure out what you are doing that takes so long, and then modify it. Eat more. See if that works.
  • HLeAnn
    HLeAnn Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I agree with sticking with 1 hour...From my experience, (for what it's worth) I work out hard, but I am hardly at the gym more than 90 min. I do circuit training incorporating strength training mixed with things like burpees, box jumps, etc, doing 4-6 circuits of 4 exercises that hit every major muscle group. At the end I do about 20 min. of light cardio. This works out to be about an hour for me and I've been getting stronger and consistently losing weight on top of it.

You must be retaining water somehow. As long as you're eating at a defecit, there's no possible way you're gaining fat.

Good luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • brisbaneangie
    brisbaneangie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i can't see your diary, so I'm not sure exactly what you're eating. Firstly, it sounds like you are working hard enough indeed! 6 days a week of 2 hours gym and you say you are sticking to your food goals? That's a magnificent effort, albeit i agree with others that you shouldn't need to do 2 hours 6 days a week (but if you love it than go for it)

Have you ever thought about paying for a few personal training sessions? I see a PT twice a week now, but even if you only drop by a few times they can usually help you sort out where you are missing the mark if you are not seeing results.

Surely with that effort you can feel yourself getting stronger and fitter, I think you should focus on how good that feels first and foremost. The weight loss will come, and get some advice from a PT if you can.

Out or curiosity, what cardio do you do? If you upped the intensity you may find a budge on the scales. Have you experimented with HIIT/ Tabata training? Pick a cardio move, such as squat jumps, and do 8 sets of 20 seconds @100% effort and 10 seconds recovery (total 4 min). I have been trying to do these as much as possible, really pushes your limit and helps enhance your stamina. I also find it helps me break out of a plateau when i alternate between running and Tabata's. Try to build up the # of sets you do, I have never been able to manage more than 3-4 but hopefully I can break that soon!

Good luck and feel proud of your accomplishments so far, you're amazing!
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You could try a few things, your body is probably so used to your regime it doesnt want to burn anymore fat.

Cut carbs- Temporarily, of course. Low carb diets (< 100 carbs) can help shed hard pounds.)

Stop excersizing as much, try 5 hour long sessions to give your body a break.

Drink more water, could be water weight you're holding onto.

No harm in trying these methods out :)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    When I start a new exercise program, especially with heavy weights, I can gain up to 10 pounds and hold it for several weeks. Then it drops quickly along with other weight. Good luck!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Try changing your macros goals to 40% protein, 40% Carbs and 20% fats. If you can hit those (along with eating all your calories, you don't want that big of a deficit) you will lose quicker and see more results with a tape measure as well. I thought I was doing well before I started eating this way and in 90 days of doing it I lost a few more pounds (I'm nearly to goal) and lost 9.5 inches!!!! I'm amazed and don't see a reason to stop yet. MFP doesn't set you up well enough with protein in my opinion. Make sure you eat protein EVERY time you eat. I see you like yogurt which is great, but don't forget the other sources like chicken/turkey/tuna/salmon and of course, whey protein supplments. Nuts and other things also have great fats which you need as well. My biggest suggestion is to eat more. You will still lose weight and more importantly fat. Keep the training going, sounds like you enjoy it, but even though I would say you could trim it back, if you like it and want to keep going to the gym that much, more power to you... just fuel that machine properly and you should be fine! Drink plenty of water as well.