Wanted: Long flowing locks :)

Options

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I started taking 1000mg of L-Lysine about a year ago. It has done wonders for my nails and I have noticed less breakage in my hair as well.
  • staceface519
    staceface519 Posts: 167
    Options
    Try taking prenatal vitamins (yes i know, if your not pregnant why take them?). . they are really good for hair and nails. . . I thought when i learned this in beauty school that it was fake but when i was taking them it really did help and that was the best hair of my life!. . . if not try horse shampoo (its just called that, its not really for horses. . . u can get it at Sallys beauty supply, depending what state your in) . . it helps stimulate your scalp for better hair and long hair faster or a keratin treatment once a month :)
  • SavvyCake
    SavvyCake Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Biotin supplements will help. My hair got really thin and slow-to-grow during a medication regimen, and I started taking Biotin about two years ago to help combat it. My hair is much longer and fuller now. And I agree with the coconut oil comment-- Virgin Coconut Oil is a miracle! I rub some into my hair every few days and it keeps it strong. It's also great for skin; I use it instead of lotion sometimes.

Also, minimizing the use of heat styling (blow dryers, curling irons, flat irons, etc.) really helps. People talk about how hard swimming can be on a person's hair, but I swim every day AND color my hair, and generally it's pretty healthy despite it. I think it's because I probably only use a heat styler of any kind less than once a month.
  • staceface519
    staceface519 Posts: 167
    Options
    For oily hair. . . dont wash your hair everyday. . especially with it being fine. . . . try washing your hair every 3-4 days. . . in between put baby powder in your hair to take away any oils left on top. . . shampooing your hair can make your hair thinner and oilier because of all the chemicals in it. . . i shampoo my hair with natural homemade ingredients that works just the same and gets my hair cleaner. You'd be surprised if you try it :)
  • shoesalwaysfit
    shoesalwaysfit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    coconut oil! put some on your hair overnight, once a week and your hair will be gorgeous, also use it in cooking to ingest the vitamin and get your hair growing thick and healthy :)

I second that! Coconut oil treatments work really well.
  • phoenixoncemore
    phoenixoncemore Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there is absolutely nothing you can do if your hair is naturally fine to make it thick and lustrous.

Don't get me wrong, if you have a vitamin deficiency or any other reason that your hair has suddenly got thin and brittle then there may be things you can do. But that is a case for your doctor to figure out.

Plenty of products claim to do this, but they are just money-making schemes. A decent multi-vit and a B Complex vit *may* improve the quality of your hair as it grows. It will not change the hair after it has come out of your scalp as it is dead and will not change. I think Regaine is the only proven hair restorer, and I'm not even sure on that.

I am a stylist and my hair got thin because of iron deficiency, this is why I say all this in such harsh terms. If you think there is a reason, see your doctor. If this is just your hair type, don't waste your money and your hopes on all the cons out there. Just get a good stylist to work with what you've got.

Hope you figure out a solution that works for you. :flowerforyou:
  • knumommi
    knumommi Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My Sister in law just spent almost 70 dollars on new shampoo and conditioner and I thought she was nuts. But i used it a few times and can notice a difference. The shampoo is sulfate and paraben free, which doesnt strip your hair of good nutrients. And the conditioner works but I like Aveeno it makes your hair so soft and tangle free the minute you put it in. I used to use Tresemme but I always had alot of build up.

I also read into extensions unless you get the wax like connections that are new and even more expensive you will always damage your hair.

As for vitamins I'm just gonna c&P this for ya..

Vitamins B-1 and B-2
    Two important vitamins responsible for the strength, maintenance, growth and overall health of the hair are vitamins B-1 and B-2, according to Harvard Medical School. Vitamin B-1 --- thiamin --- is a water-soluble vitamin found in soy milk, watermelon and acorn squash. It is needed to maintain the health of the blood, brain, muscles and hair. The recommended daily allowance of vitamin B-1 is 1.2 mg for men and 1.1 mg for women. Vitamin B-2 --- riboflavin --- is needed to convert food to energy and to maintain healthy skin, hair and blood. The recommended daily allowance of vitamin B-2 is 1.3 mg for men and 1.1 mg for women. Sources of vitamin B-2 are milk, yogurt, enriched grains, cereal and liver. Both vitamins can be taken separately or together in a multivitamin or a B-complex supplement.

Biotin
    Biotin is a vitamin used to prevent and treat hair loss and brittle nails. Moreover, oral supplements of biotin are used to treat and prevent biotin deficiency-related symptoms, which often include hair loss or thinning along with loss of hair color. There is inconclusive evidence to show that biotin can be used to treat hair loss on its own, although hair loss may be reduced if biotin is taken by mouth with zinc supplements while using a topical cream containing the chemical compound clobetasol propionate, according to MedlinePlus.

Vitamin C is a water-soluble antioxidant, important for cell health, immune system maintenance and the health of the skin, bones and connective tissue. Vitamin C is also used to absorb the mineral iron. Without vitamin C, heme and nonheme iron cannot be absorbed into the body. When there is a deficiency in vitamin C, iron will be absorbed poorly and you may display symptoms of vitamin C deficiency, which include brittle and split hair, gingivitis, rough and dry skin, anemia, and weight gain. Vitamin C supplements can be purchased as an individual vitamin supplement, and vitamin C is included in most multivitamins and prenatal vitamins.

Vitamin E
    Vitamin E is a fat-soluble antioxidant that works to protect the cells from free radicals, which can damage the cells, organs and tissues. Vitamin E helps produce capillaries, which work to increase blood flow to all parts of the body, including the scalp. Poor circulation to the scalp can cause hair to thin or fall out of the follicles. You can take vitamin E in a gel-cap supplement or you can take a complete multivitamin, which contains a percentage of vitamin E.
  • WEB3
    WEB3 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I just started taking Biotin. Have read wonderful things about the benefits on hair and nail growth.
    http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Bounty-Biotin-1000mcg-Tablets/dp/B001G7QVHW
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I know that my lovely locks will discount this fact: Prenatal pills. Every woman I know that gets pregnant and takes them...their hair just gets better looking.
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    same here. mine is just rubbish at growing! i think i'll have to take some of these tips ;)

i had mine cut and the hairdresser cut it way too short! (plus one side is wonky!! :explode: ) i did not ask for that!! but i want it to hurry and grow.
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    If you use a multi-vitamin, get one that is designed to improve skin and hair. I use Maxi-Hair from Country Life. Vitamin E, essential fatty acids, and vitamin A all help with healthy hair.

If you color your hair, stop. If you need to keep coloring it, use henna if you can (info on the best ways and access to PURE henna at hennaforhair.com). You can also use cassia, which is a plant that provides similar conditioning as henna, but that imparts no color to darker hair (sometimes it can lightly affect light blonde hair--more information is also on hennaforhair.com). Some people call it neutral henna, but that's not true. Henna is one plant, cassia is another.

My hair has been in great shape since using henna, and that's after having had an overprocessed mess of hair. Also, you don't necessarily need to use an expensive natural shampoo and conditioner. Whole Foods, Sprouts, Sunflower, and other natural markets tend to have pretty good shampoos with which you can wash and condition your hair daily without stripping it or damaging it.
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    For oily hair. . . dont wash your hair everyday. . especially with it being fine. . . . try washing your hair every 3-4 days. . . in between put baby powder in your hair to take away any oils left on top. . . shampooing your hair can make your hair thinner and oilier because of all the chemicals in it. . . i shampoo my hair with natural homemade ingredients that works just the same and gets my hair cleaner. You'd be surprised if you try it :)

if you don't mind me asking, what do you wash your hair with? :)
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I take a prenatal vitamin every day. Plus, I use sulfate-free and paraben-free products. I also only wash my hair every other day.
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I agree with coconut oil! But that will only make the hair you have the healthiest it can be.... its not going to transform it into something it's not
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    i have always had long hair, down to my butt. i also have friends whose hair seems to never grow. i really dont think there is any secret to growing your hair long. it just takes a while, patience is my only advice.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I have hair past my waist, and people always ask me what I do, here is my list. (1) I don't do much to my hair, no perming, blow drying, flat/curling ironing, etc., all of it is bad for your hair. (2) I almost never shampoo it, even with a heavy workout schedule, I rinse well, and add conditioner. My scalp feels fine for the most part, maybe twice a month I'll use a little shampoo, but I doubt it's even necessary then. (3) Conditioner, different people like different ones, so try a few and see what works for you. (4) Don't brush or comb wet, your hair is weakest then. (5) Finger comb rather than brushing or combing, it's gentler. (6) Braid your hair at night to avoid tangles (which can be tricky to get out without damaging your hair). (7) Avoid hair holders (clips, elastics, etc.) that pull at your hair too much, or that your hair gets caught in. I like the all elastic ones (i.e. no metal holding the band together) that they make now.

I recently started taking biotin supplements, but I haven't noticed much difference in growth. Also, I never really had this issue, but if your hair is already damaged, you probably want to trim off the damaged parts before you really start trying to grow it out.
  • Sammylynn89
    Sammylynn89 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Wow was not expecting so many responses! Thank you! I'll have to check out everyones' suggestions and do some research! :)
  • beckihadfield87
    Options
    I pretty much agree with Mellisant, I don't put too many products on my hair, and try not to heat it too often. I let it dry naturally after I have washed it if I can, and brush it when it is dry.
  • Psychoanalytic
    Options
    Luckily I was blessed with good genes and don't have to be too concerned with what I do with my hair.

However, I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned it or not since I'm lazy and haven't read all of the replies, but look into the "no 'poo method" or "'poo-less." Basically it's washing your hair with baking soda and conditioning it with vinegar, then a deep condition once in a while. It strips it of all the buildup of gunk. My hair has always been at its best when I did that. (I'm lazy though.)
  • merB89
    merB89 Posts: 122
    Options
    Biotin!! It makes your skin, hair and, nails healthy and strong and glowy!