Does anyone else not diet...(moderation)

Options

Replies

• postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

Just wanted to CONFESS that, ... I am in fact a MODERATION eater, I believe life is too short for me to not eat waht I want as long as I know when its too much and I keep myself healthy.

anyone else?:glasses: :smile: :wink:

-Tay

I do a little of both. In some cases, moderation is key but other things needed to go in my case. I've actually taken joy in replacing my old staples with new ones that give me more bang for the buck.

Dairy ice cream has been replaced by the occasional soy ice cream bar (I still eat dairy, but in moderation) and I've cut out meat save for 3-4 times a week. And, not that I was a huge soda drinker compared to some (maybe 4-5 a week tops- not much at all compared to those who drink it with every meal), but that's totally gone. I've even let my beloved sweet tea get replaced by unsweetened tea or stevia sweetened tea.

The big one was rice. I've replaced it entirely with Barley and Quinoa. Much less caloric and actually has some protein and fiber! I'm kind of a foodie, so this has been an adventure for me. :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am with you all the way! Fad diets are boring and deprivation sucks! :smokin:
  • feather314
    feather314 Posts: 97
    Options
    I guess I'm a "moderation" type too. I don't follow a specific diet - meaning I don't exclude any specific foods. I try to make healthier/better choices but if I want something I'll eat it. I just make sure it fits into my calorie range.

My husband and I shoot on a pool league every Thursday so yes I have beer but instead of the 6+ beers I would have I now only have 2-3. Instead of pigging out on fried bar food I make better choices - grilled chicken, fish, etc. (Our home bar actually has very good food and a full menu).

If I'm in the mood for dessert I ask the hubs or one of the kids to share with me.

It's all about making choices and being concious of the choices you are making.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    that is how i am, however, i do sometimes say no to something, but if i really want something i eat it, if i feel deprived i will quit and then probably binge on something bad!! but i log things first and ask myself if i really want that or sometimes make a choice between things
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Since I've switched to veggie, and not eating dairy, I found I don't have to diet at all. I can eat almost as much as I want. So, yeah, non-dieter here. I don't count anymore. I just eat what I want.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Depends how you define moderation:

"While moderation is often a helpful goal, it can also be deceptive. It’s easy to forget that “moderation” is a relative term, and if you’re aiming for moderation, it’s helpful to ask yourself, “Moderation, in comparison to what?”

I thought of this when a friend told me he was going to cut back on his drinking. “I don’t need to quit, but I want to keep it in moderation,” he said. “So I’m going to limit myself to two drinks a night.” Zoikes, I thought, I don’t have two drinks in a month. I’m not saying that two drinks is too much, but rather, the idea that a particular amount is “moderate” depends on your point of view.

Along the same lines, in his brilliant book Why We Get Fat, Gary Taubes points out that two hundred years ago, we ate less than a fifth of the sugar that we eat today. So eating a “moderate” amount of sugar by today’s standards could be considered excessive by historical standards."

http://happiness-project.com/happiness_project/2012/07/be-wary-of-the-goal-of-moderation-plus-a-cocktail-party-trick/

Did you just use "brilliant" and "Taubes" in the same sentence? Sorry, but he's a hack, and that book has been thoroughly shredded by actual science (Taubes is a journalist, not a scientist, for the record.)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Along the same lines, in his brilliant book Why We Get Fat, Gary Taubes points out that two hundred years ago, we ate less than a fifth of the sugar that we eat today. So eating a “moderate” amount of sugar by today’s standards could be considered excessive by historical standards."

Did you just use "brilliant" and "Taubes" in the same sentence? Sorry, but he's a hack, and that book has been thoroughly shredded by actual science (Taubes is a journalist, not a scientist, for the record.)

Anyone selling a book explaining the "end-all-beat-all," singular reason for why a given collective of individuals is overweight, is clearly a hack, out to sell books. We are individuals and each of us has our own loves, hates, strengths, weaknesses, and head trips.
  • sabusby
    sabusby Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I see my thread is a duplication of this one!

I feel that far too many people are putting themselves in danger of creating poor eating habits or trying to get 'quick fixes' by DIETING. This is absolutely terrible.

I feel that people should understand there is one way to lose weight: Less in, more out. fitness and PROPER nutrition are the only healthy ways to do this.

A great video on why to STOP DIETING:

http://youtu.be/JQ4lcd7IQe4

Discuss.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    A great video on why to STOP DIETING:

http://youtu.be/JQ4lcd7IQe4

Discuss.

I just finished watching it. I am in tears! Great video!

Boredom is my issue. If I am bored, I tend to eat or smoke.
  • Tay617
    Tay617 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    my "moderation" is in terms of knowing what works for me, I know I cant lose weight eating 3,000 calories a day, but I know that I can losse weight eating 2000 calories and burning 600 calories off, (example) so I calorie count at times so I'm aware of what my intake is . there are also many studies that tell you it comes down to calories in and calories out. Also have learned that most people are able to lose weight and keep it off with "manageable cheating' on certain diets, allowing yourself to ENJOY FOOD AND NOT MAKE IT THE ENEMY.

by no way am i trying to ay that my way is the "right" way, I just posted this post to see if there were others who felt the same way on here.
  • sabusby
    Options
    You may be on to something. I've heard FAR too many times that deprivation is NOT the way to do it and you're more apt to slip up.
  • ljaroch
    ljaroch Posts: 64
    Options
    I really do believe that moderation/portion control vs diet is the way to go...however, when you are like me and have struggled with weight your whole life partly because emotions trigger eating, moderation can be hard. If you have a lot to loose and bad habits, moderation can be harder than you might think. I'm currently doing Jamie Easons LiveFit and following that nutritional guideline. The hope is that it will build healthy habits and when I want to have that birthday cake or go out with the girls for drinks I can do so knowing the rest of the time I'm eating with certain healthy principles in mind, kind of an 80/20 rule. If I'm eating very healthily at least 80% of the time, I'm doing about 70% more than I used to be doing!
  • giftieetcetera
    giftieetcetera Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want and just count the calories. I don't eat foods that are simply filling anymore, much, like straight up bread, but mostly because I didn't love them anyway. I just ate them mindlessly. But I do love brownies, so I have a brownie. One. And whenever possible, I clean eat,. just because fruits and veggies are really filling. But it's not uncommon to have grilled veggies with 3 ounces of grilled, buttered steak. :)
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    :drinker:
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    my "moderation" is in terms of knowing what works for me, I know I cant lose weight eating 3,000 calories a day, but I know that I can losse weight eating 2000 calories and burning 600 calories off, (example) so I calorie count at times so I'm aware of what my intake is . there are also many studies that tell you it comes down to calories in and calories out. Also have learned that most people are able to lose weight and keep it off with "manageable cheating' on certain diets, allowing yourself to ENJOY FOOD AND NOT MAKE IT THE ENEMY.

by no way am i trying to ay that my way is the "right" way, I just posted this post to see if there were others who felt the same way on here.

What I like is your attitude towards food- it's not the enemy! We shouldn't be scared of eating! :)
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I absolutely can switch to moderation if I'm in a maintenance mode, but I have to change things up if I'm trying to cut/drop weight, otherwise my body just won't respond.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Big time eat what ever I want... with-in moderation.
    But most people mistake me for a limiter because I do not eat a lot of red meat (can't stand blood and rubber bits)
    as well i have very little carbs in my diet and if i do eat them they are from fruits and not bread, pasta etc
    I find wheat very bland tasting and eat them very rarely.
    Last night I had two soft chocolate middle chips Ahoy! And dam were they good! :drinker:
  • Damiilla
    Damiilla Posts: 66
    Options
    I've been on just about every terrible fad diet ever. It just doesn't work. Once I joined MFP I learned about the joys of moderation and haven't looked back. I can lose weight and be happy!
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want, because a full on "diet" wouldn't work for me. I love my cheese, pastas, junk, etc. and if I feel deprived I'll just eat more of it when I see it. I don't particularly eat healthy either, but I am working on that.

The only thing I've changed (so far) to lose weight is lowering my calories, and selecting low-fat, zero calorie, or sugar-free versions of items whenever I can.

Oh and of course exercise!
  • sabusby
    Options
    I've been on just about every terrible fad diet ever. It just doesn't work. Once I joined MFP I learned about the joys of moderation and haven't looked back. I can lose weight and be happy!

Congrats! I have no idea who you are, but I'm proud of you!