Replies

• sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    Is being stupid a disability?
  • jyuubi
    jyuubi Posts: 109
    Options
    I don't feel like reading an article, but I've heard similar before, someone asked for my opinion because of their paper they had to write about whether or not overweight people should get handicap tags.

Look, I'm fat. There's no way I can deny that. And yeah, sometimes my weight causes my body to ache. But I have two legs, that work just fine. I can walk without falling over, and I certainly don't need to stop for breaks going through a grocery store and the like. I can even handle amusement parks, vacations. My arms work just fine. I can see and hear. My back hurts sometimes, but it has never kept me in bed. I have never been in so much pain that I have been unable to do a normal task.

I'm overweight, not disabled. I won't make excuses for what I've done to myself.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I would say if there is a legit medical condition that caused them to be over weight, it could be a disability. I understand some medical conditions can prohibit you from doing some if not all exercises, but on the other hand, you can reduce your food intake and make better options to not allow that to happen.

If you are severely overweight for your own fault (Myself included!) due to poor eating and lack of taking care of yourself, it should not be considered a disability. We need to take responsibility for our own actions. If we stuff ourselves with McDonalds five days a week and become 400lbs because of our own wrong-doing, we shouldn't sit back and collect disability checks for that.

This is only my thoughts/opinion.
  • ambitious01
    ambitious01 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    yes, I believe so. My weight got so high that my bad back couldn't support the weight. I had become bedridden. I lost 30 pounds to be able to walk with a cane!!!! I'm in the process of fixing the rest. I lost most abilities, so disabled.

Edit to say: My thyroid was severly hypoactive and I had quit smoking.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it can be considered a temporary disability. I know that obesity can obscure everyday actions. Walking from your car to the grocery is a chore, going up any number of steps is a battle.

I think these people should be encouraged to lose weight and become healthier. If a temporary disability offers them assistances toward that, then by all means they should have it.

I can't quite see how it would help but I haven't thought too deeply on the topic yet.
  • taureanbeauty293
    taureanbeauty293 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I fully support your view on the topic....I read the entirety of her paper and while she has makes some good points (I still see some of the attitudes she mentioned). In one of her points, she writes,

"I contest the model outlined above, which has at its core the notion that fatness is a disease...The detrimental psychological and physical effects of dieting have also been well documented. Intervention is a misguided attempt to 'cure' what is already natural; indeed, I regard fatness as a normal state of being, neither healthier nor less healthy than any other body shape or size, and part of the amazing diversity of body types."

However, I contest this notion. We as a species were not meant to be obese. Yes, it is our bodies that store fat for winter and in preparation for starvation, but individuals in industrialized nations, or nations with sufficient food source, do not need the nutrients. It is the way we eat that leads to obesity, the processed foods that spike our blood sugar and promote the release of insulin (which stores the food we just ingested). Its the simple carbohydrates, the foods that were created when their was an erroneous notion that fats were bad (trans fat, anyone?), and the high fructose corn syrup that came about to substitute for sugar....this is why there is an obesity epidemic. This is why there is a movement towards healthier living, and "medicalizaiton" of obesity issues. In fact, I now think there is a danger of us as a society becoming TOO accustomed to fatness, and normalizing it in contests like "Miss Plus America." I think the danger is of it being accepted, because fatness is not another "healthy" body choice. It is unhealthy. And that's not even taking into account children growing up in an environment that promotes unhealthy lifestyle choices, opening them up for a life of increased health risks...juvenile diabetes rates, anyone?
    I think labeling fat people as disabled is misappropriating an already very loaded term.
    I also don't buy into 'fat as a feminist issue'.
    This paper is pretty old and the arguments about society the author is making about how fat people are ostracised have gone almost completely the other way. Now we have shops proudly advertising "plus sizes available", "extra wide fit" etc etc.
    Promoting the idea that obesity is simply another healthy 'body choice' that needs to be catered to is not a good idea in the long term.
    Neither is size zero body fascism btw, I'm all for women with curves and softness and all that jazz.
    She talks about the medicalisation of fat... well, obesity is indeed a medical issue. And it can be cured. Comparing such with serious physical disability is pretty galling in my opinion.

Disclaimer: of course there are a couple of real (and rare) medical conditions that cause serious weight gain; I'm talking about self-inflicted obesity in all of the above post.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Disabilities can also be temporary. They don't have to be lifelong. One of my friends got a disabled parking permit after being in a car accident. Once she got well enough to not use the walker/wheelchair, she gave it back.

In the UK you don't get a disabled parking permit for any condition that's temporary. A friend was in plaster for a whole year, but couldn't have a permit. It wouldn't have been legal for her to drive herself, but she couldn't have a permit for someone to drive her & park in a "disabled" space either.

Yeah, UK seems to be pretty stupid about that sort of stuff. I remember reading an article about a year ago about a veteran who'd lost his leg who was denied a disabled permit because his condition 'might improve'.

Anyway, in *this* state you can get a limited-term disability pass, which seems totally reasonable for someone who's able to drive but not well able to walk. The expiration date is pretty clearly printed on it. :P

I think in Australia you can get a temporary pass as well.
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    People can often be obese as a result of a physical or mental disability. Am I going to assume the large woman riding a disability scooter is doing so because she shoved too many pies down her gob? Goodness no. It's just as likely that she has MS and a tendency to eat her stressed feelings. Or she could have crippling depression and have gained weight after taking antidepressants for a decade or so.

What if the obesity is just obesity, no underlying causes, and a person is disabled as a result of it? If you can't walk more than a few steps unaided or need assistance to dress yourself, it doesn't matter why you are that way, just that you get the help needed to live a dignified life.

No one's obese to the level of disability because they want to be that way. Sure, there are a few nutters out there who like to make the local rags because they're hoping to one day be 500kg, but it's pretty obvious that their mental health is absolutely shot. I don't know... should a fat man in a wheelchair because he's eaten too many hotdogs receive more or less sympathy than another slim man in a wheelchair because he drank a dozen shots and decided it would be smart to drive home pissed as a parrot? The fat guy's just hurting himself... the slim one had no issue with ruining his own life as well as doing similar (or worse) to other people on the road.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    This is a really interesting question... but I think a lot of people are getting sidetracked by the issue of "is the person's obesity caused through their own actions?" which was not the question that the OP asked. As at least one previous poster has already pointed out - lots of people have a disability due to their own actions (driving recklessly, playing with fireworks, diving into shallow water, playing high-risk sports). That doesn't mean they don't have a disability, and I suspect it probably makes life a hell of a lot harder knowing that you are in that situation through your own actions.

Back to the OP's question - "is being fat a disability?" - my answer would being fat isn't a disability in itself, but it can mean that you are disabled (or handicapped depending on the definition you prefer) in many of your daily activities. If you are so obese that you can't walk further than a few metres, you can't get up off the floor if you fall over, you can't reach your feet to tie your shoelaces, you can't walk up the steps at the front of a building- you have a disability, you can't do things that would be reasonably expected by someone of your age and circumstance.

As I see it, the difference is that most people who are obese have an option to change their lifestyle by changing their behaviour. It isn't easy but it is possible for many people. So, the may have a disability at this weight but if they change things they can reverse it - unlike people who have a spinal cord injury or a brain injury which can't be reversed by any change in behaviour.
  • feast4thebeast
    feast4thebeast Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Well thank you for such a brilliant debate. Some people have clearly genuinely reflected upon the question and the points posed in the paper. Now I did say that I was going to reflect on it and come back to the question at hand.

As neither a person who would be identified as over-weight or disabled (never have been) based upon the medical definitions or societies ideals (which I must add are not static terms) then I am not qualified to speak on behalf of those who may be identified in those categories. The difficulty in society is that everyone thinks it is their right to talk on behalf of someone else and the values and opinions at the centre of the debate are often missed.

To illustrate my point I will refer to my own research in Autism in schools. Children with Autism tend to have communicative strengths that don't conform to what society would see as the 'norm' and therefore because the views of these individuals are difficult to ascertain then these views are sileneced. I think the same happens with people who we identify as 'fat' - we make a snap judgement about their size and weight yet have failed to consult the person who we are identifying as that. It would be seen as rude to raise the topic with them.

My final words on this topic are that I'm not in a position to have an opinion about this and some of the guys above who identify themselves (or have done in the past) as 'fat' or 'disabled' are in a far better position to comment than me.

Thank you to some of you for your well thought out responses.
  • DietFemme
    DietFemme Posts: 16
    Options
    So overweight people shouldn't have clothes choices easily because it's their fault? When I was a 14, I'd have to go to those shops. As a 10 I still do for bra sizes. Not all of our body shapes can fit into Forever 21 clothing! I think there is a lot of great stuff in the media about being healthy. I think you are misinterpreting a new media appreciation for curves for encouragement of obesity. They are not alike! Previously models were so skin and bone they looked sick. People complained that the media was hurting the confidence of healthy women. So now "average" women are being appreciated and celebrities are being hounded on if they get too thin. This is good! Health is what the aim should be. And I think the media is finally catering to this. Finally! And now we're complaining again because we think they encourage obesity??

I agree with some of this, you'll note my next sentence was:
    Neither is size zero body fascism btw, I'm all for women with curves and softness and all that jazz.

But I think as a society we have become confused about what "average" women weigh, or ought to weigh.
    I am currently somewhere between a UK 16 and a 14 (US 12 and 10) and I'm still technically in the obese bracket even though I don't look enormous. Granted I'm really short (5' 1"), but I'm still 40 odd pounds off a healthy weight. I didn't understand just how fat I was until I started this journey with MFP, and I think that's reflected in society at, ahem, large. :)

The fashion industry's obsession with super skinny androgynous waifs aside, the average punter on the street thinks that a UK size 14 is "average" and "healthy" whereas even an averagely tall woman is going to be a good stone or so overweight at those numbers.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I believe being overweight is a disability, and I mean real overweight, as in why so many of us utilize this site to get back to a healthy weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle. When I hit my "aha moment" on Christmas Eve 2011 I had real hip pain and aches and shortness of breath. Excess weight gone, pain gone, easier to breath. I was, by the weight charts, 25 pounds overweight. I lost more than that based on a doctor's evaluation of a good goal weight, and the difference in my energy level and endurance is incredible.

I know that everyone is different, and their tolerance for excess weight is different, but if the weight causes you pain to the point you don't walk or your do normal activities, then it is a disability. I have a whole new empathy for those who are struggling with any excess weight that limits their mobility or range of activities.

People who are not to the pain point with being overweight or depressed or uneducated or whatever need our empathy and an open door to more health care - whether it be counseling or access to programs that help them get to a healthy weight. I personally feel that it is all available for free (this website is great) or through their medical insurance or local county health extensions.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    no its an excuse to act like you're disabled so you dont have to break a sweat.

ETA: I cant consider anything self-inflicted as a disability. So this leaves out the million "exceptions" people are about to throw in my face to justify their personal situation.

ETA2: If being fat is a disability, then being fit is the same as having a super power.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    So, the may have a disability at this weight but if they change things they can reverse it - unlike people who have a spinal cord injury or a brain injury which can't be reversed by any change in behaviour.
    This is a good point.

It begs the question should a new term be created for the obese that have limited mobility?
    Such as, RD or Reversible Disability.

It would make a clear distinction between the temporarily disabled and the permanently disabled.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    So, the may have a disability at this weight but if they change things they can reverse it - unlike people who have a spinal cord injury or a brain injury which can't be reversed by any change in behaviour.
    This is a good point.

It begs the question should a new term be created for the obese that have limited mobility?

It would make a clear distinction between the temporarily disabled and the permanently disabled.

No we have a word. Its called obese.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    This is a good point.

According to my BMI, I am "obese"-- i am 160, strong, and not only can function very well (thank you very much) but I am very active.

I think "obese" is thrown around too casually, especially in the BMI chart.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    This is a good point.

It's not a good point. People can be temporarily disabled. If you get into a car accident and break both legs you are disabled from doing your job as a tow truck driver. The disability is temporary, but still a disability.
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    "Being fat is hard, losing weight is hard, remaining slim is hard. Choose your hard"

This is amazing .. it's going to be my inspiration quote, thank you for sharing!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Basically, becoming and staying fat is a result of the choices someone makes. To eat this packet of sweets, watch TV instead of going for a walk, eat those chips, or whatever - the daily choices that everyone has in the first world. People don't chose the things that lead to true disabilities - cerebral palsy, learning difficuties, blindness, arthritis - they are due to accidents of birth or accidents of life.

Not necessarily. There are many self inflicted disabilities. COPD due to smoking for example. Or disease due to a bad diet in someone who is thin. Even self inflicted injuries.

If someone becomes disabled because they chose to drink and drive, isn't that self inflicted?
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Of course, the problem is, once you start taking advantage of the equipment to help with "disability" (close-in parking spaces, motorized scooters, etc) the problem is only going to get worse.

It's truly sad watching someone who is extremely overweight but has no other obvious physical problems park right next to the entrance of the grocery store, walk without the slightest sign of discomfort to the rack of motorized scooters, and hop on to a scooter to do their groceries. You just know they aren't doing themselves any favors.

Especially when they whoosh right by the fresh produce on their way to the frozen TV dinners and ice cream.

Their life, their decisions, but... *sigh*