Asthma and working out

Options
Does anyone know anything about asthma and how to overcome it while trying to work out? I am having such a hard time with the cardio parts of my workouts. Also, I would LOVE to start jogging but I'm not sure I would survive it. Any suggestions?

Replies

• RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    start out slow and ur tolerance should build up. ask ur doctor.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Take your inhaler before you work out vs. waiting until you can't breathe.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Is your asthma otherwise well controlled? This is a good question for your doctor since your triggers and your severity aren't going to be the same as the rest of us. Generally though, you can build up your lungs so it isn't such a problem, but I do think that is for mild/moderate asthma.
  • Rambo313
    Rambo313 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have exercise induced asthma when I started I couldnt run 30 seconds without gasping for air, Now I can run 5-6 miles straight, Its all about hesitation for me, I had to push myself a bit more even if it was an extra 10-20 seconds, I increased little by little. Overtime it got easier, and I am not talking a few months I am talking about a minimum a year to improve my breathing. Also I use my inhaler 30 min before I start working out.
  • RenovatingSuzanne
    Options
    Agree with all the others here. Start slow. I have severe asthma (daily steroids) and when I first started working out I'd be gasping for air like mad. I struggle on humid and cold windy days. I make sure to have my ventolin near by, take breaks when I need them and the fitter I get the better my breathing was. Not saying I'm in fabulous shape, far from it, but I've gone from jogging for 30 seconds and burning lungs to being able to run 10's /1's for a 5K.. It's taken a while but it comes

If you're having a really hard time and you have seen a doctor, perhaps try swimming or another water workout to help get started and improve your fitness level