Gained

Options
A friend of mine started taking me to the gym last week.. I was one pound from my next goal. I started gaining weight again. I gained 4 pounds back. I know it's building muscle, but I'm not down far enough yet that I really want to see weight piling back on on the scale again. I think in all reality I should wait until I get down more (I'm at 254) before I start trying to tone and build the muscle. It just really was not what I wanted to see right now.
Has anyone else been through this, what do you think? She had wanted to go every day and work on different areas (she is a tiny little thing).. I told her maybe two times a week but the other days I want to stick with my walking, biking, etc. the stuff that got me down to begin with.

Replies

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    It's not muscle you can't build that much muscle in a week, especially if you are on a calorie deficit. What probably is happening is that your body is holding on to more water to repair your muscles, this always happens. I would definitely keep doing the lifting, because you will eventually start losing at your normal pace, and maybe even faster, because you are burning more calories by doing more.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Keep eating right and exercising.............
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    It's not muscle you can't build that much muscle in a week, especially if you are on a calorie deficit. What probably is happening is that your body is holding on to more water to repair your muscles, this always happens. I would definitely keep doing the lifting, because you will eventually start losing at your normal pace, and maybe even faster, because you are burning more calories by doing more.

THIS^^^
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options

Yep! Right now it's just water retention to help repair the tissues you shocked by starting to work out. Keep lifting--the more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism and the more calories you burn at rest--it's a bit of positive feedback :).