Cant get across this Mountain!

Options
I have read and done it all on this site with my calories. I set my settings to lose 2lbs a day and it put me at 1200 ate that for a couple of weeks and exercised with no luck. I set it to lose 1lb a day and it set me at 1350 and ate there for a few weeks with no luck in the weight loss. I had my BMR calculated and my lowest was 1460 so I manually set my calories to 1500 and ate at this for like 6 months...along with exercise. I generally exercise 4-5 days a week 30-60 min a day. I never ate back my exercise calories with the 1500 calorie range and always kept a 500 daily deficit. I even went a step further and set it to maintenance and left a 300-500 calorie deficit and still cant seem to get out of the 140's. I have bounced around from 140-144. Its annoying when I want so bad to be 135 or for my clothes to fit me without being tight! Idk what else to do. I mean I don't eat the cleanest in the world but its more 80/20 for me. Everything got switched to whole wheat including my pasta, bread, rice. I only eat chicken and fish and every once in a while a pork chop or steak. I don't care for ground beef at all. I'm not a big mashed potato person so I don't see where that would be an issue. I know I have a major problem with sweets so none is kept in my house and I only put two packets of splenda in my coffee in the mornings with my sugar free creamer. I drink 100+oz of water a day b/c that is all I drink unless I go out to eat which is not very often b/c its costly with four kids. I eat green veggies and love fruit so I'm trying to figure out WTH I'm doing wrong to not be able to lose weight! As of right now I'm doing my second round of insanity b/c the first round I'll admit I ate like crap and didn't see any loss on the scale so I took a month off focused on my diet and now am currently into week 2 month 1......if anyone has any advice please help me! Oh and with insanity I burn anywhere from 220-480 depending on the dvd.

Replies

• Nikkilynn32710
    Nikkilynn32710 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    There could be a lot of things here and I don't want to sound accusatory. But, can you open your diary for us to see? How accurately are you weighing and counting everything and how are you counting your exercise calories? Have you taken measurements of yourself? You look in your picture and from the weight we can see that you are not really that big and its possible that you have gained muscle. Accurate waist, hips, and neck measurements would be critical. You said you ate like crap for two months of insanity. How often have you done that in the journey? If your BMR is 1460 I would continue to shoot for 1500 and get really serious about logging it all.
  • Chipmunk222
    Chipmunk222 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I hope you get some answers, because I posted similar this morning and no one has responded. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong and it's so frustrating !!!
  • agent99oz
    agent99oz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have read and done it all on this site with my calories. I set my settings to lose 2lbs a day and it put me at 1200 ate that for a couple of weeks and exercised with no luck. I set it to lose 1lb a day and it set me at 1350 and ate there for a few weeks with no luck in the weight loss. I had my BMR calculated and my lowest was 1460 so I manually set my calories to 1500 and ate at this for like 6 months...along with exercise. I generally exercise 4-5 days a week 30-60 min a day. I never ate back my exercise calories with the 1500 calorie range and always kept a 500 daily deficit. I even went a step further and set it to maintenance and left a 300-500 calorie deficit and still cant seem to get out of the 140's. I have bounced around from 140-144. Its annoying when I want so bad to be 135 or for my clothes to fit me without being tight! Idk what else to do. I mean I don't eat the cleanest in the world but its more 80/20 for me. Everything got switched to whole wheat including my pasta, bread, rice. I only eat chicken and fish and every once in a while a pork chop or steak. I don't care for ground beef at all. I'm not a big mashed potato person so I don't see where that would be an issue. I know I have a major problem with sweets so none is kept in my house and I only put two packets of splenda in my coffee in the mornings with my sugar free creamer. I drink 100+oz of water a day b/c that is all I drink unless I go out to eat which is not very often b/c its costly with four kids. I eat green veggies and love fruit so I'm trying to figure out WTH I'm doing wrong to not be able to lose weight! As of right now I'm doing my second round of insanity b/c the first round I'll admit I ate like crap and didn't see any loss on the scale so I took a month off focused on my diet and now am currently into week 2 month 1......if anyone has any advice please help me! Oh and with insanity I burn anywhere from 220-480 depending on the dvd.

I can't see your diary....open it up and will see if I can see anything....
  • Nikkilynn32710
    Options
    There could be a lot of things here and I don't want to sound accusatory. But, can you open your diary for us to see? How accurately are you weighing and counting everything and how are you counting your exercise calories? Have you taken measurements of yourself? You look in your picture and from the weight we can see that you are not really that big and its possible that you have gained muscle. Accurate waist, hips, and neck measurements would be critical. You said you ate like crap for two months of insanity. How often have you done that in the journey? If your BMR is 1460 I would continue to shoot for 1500 and get really serious about logging it all.

I did the first round back in March to May....it was terrible eating for the most part. I'm still not perfect with the eating right now. I have a polar FT4 to track my accurate burn during exercise and log it manually in MFP. My eating used to be horrible more of a 50/50 now I have gotten to an 80/20 except the weekends are hard b/c I eat crap with my hubby. I have taken measurements just recently. Its been two weeks but I'll take a second set since I'm pairing it every time I do the fit test with Insanity. I haven't noticed my pants fitting any better/looser so I'm not sure if I've lost inches or not which would be fine with me. I'm doing a "detox" thing from the weekend of bad eating and reseting my metabolism to see if that helps so ignore today and yesterdays logging. Everything else was over or right at it with foods. I'm open to ANY and ALL suggestions and constructive criticism as long as its not negative. Keep in mind I am human and i do make mistakes thank you.
  • cogitoboy
    cogitoboy Posts: 1
    Options
    According to the book, Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes, your frustration might be explained by how your body handles your diet and exercise. According to Taubes, if your body faces a caloric defecit it can do a few things to make up the shortfall. The two most interesting are 1) Turn some of the energy stores (bodyfat) into energy and 2) Slow the body down, increase hunger pains. Your body's program to slow everything down to save calorie burn is just another way to say that your metabolism slows. Taubes waxes on about diet/exercise examples like yours - that your story is typical. Some bodies, on some diets, only want to work the metabolism route and are loath to start burnign body fat to make up calorie defecits. I bet if you improve your diet (with same calories) you will lose weight.
  • bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    You might want to read thru this topic. It will probably help to answer your questions. Oh . . . and yes it was started on 08/17/10. This link is to the 1st thread. When you get thru the first 20 pages there will be a link on the last post to the 2nd part of the thread. The guy who started it is a personal trainer. If you have questions just post on the second part of the thread and he will answer it for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/113609-relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner
  • Nikkilynn32710
    Options
    You might want to read thru this topic. It will probably help to answer your questions. Oh . . . and yes it was started on 08/17/10. This link is to the 1st thread. When you get thru the first 20 pages there will be a link on the last post to the 2nd part of the thread. The guy who started it is a personal trainer. If you have questions just post on the second part of the thread and he will answer it for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/113609-relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner

Thank you so much :)
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    A few thoughts....

I think it's a lot harder for women who have lost quite a bit to lose that "last 10" or however you want to put it. Even women who haven't lost quite a bit I suppose. Like the PP said.

I also know that I have to eat well all week, or I don't lose that week. Not like no junk at all. You know I love my crackers and stuff! But lots of times if I have one day where we go out to eat and I eat lousy, I can't expect to lose anything that week. That's happened to me a few times. So if that happens to you most weeks, that could be a problem.

I'd try to pay attention to your weekly deficit. Maybe you'll see that you have a good deficit most days but then a bad day or 2 are knocking it down to near nothing.

Of course, I've had about a 3000 calorie deficit for the past few weeks with no fat loss sooooo.... :wink: IMO it's very possible that we are both doing everything "right" and it's just going to be very slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. :wink:
  • Nikkilynn32710
    Options
    A few thoughts....

I think it's a lot harder for women who have lost quite a bit to lose that "last 10" or however you want to put it. Even women who haven't lost quite a bit I suppose. Like the PP said.

I also know that I have to eat well all week, or I don't lose that week. Not like no junk at all. You know I love my crackers and stuff! But lots of times if I have one day where we go out to eat and I eat lousy, I can't expect to lose anything that week. That's happened to me a few times. So if that happens to you most weeks, that could be a problem.

I'd try to pay attention to your weekly deficit. Maybe you'll see that you have a good deficit most days but then a bad day or 2 are knocking it down to near nothing.

Of course, I've had about a 3000 calorie deficit for the past few weeks with no fat loss sooooo.... :wink: IMO it's very possible that we are both doing everything "right" and it's just going to be very slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. :wink:

WWWAAAAHHHHH :'(.... its way way way way WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY to slowwww!!! lol.