Eating Peanut Butter Out Of The Jar

Options
stryke3
stryke3 Posts: 5 Member
Sometimes I take a spoon and dip into the peanut butter like it's ice cream! Maybe 2-3 scoops. Is that ok to do once a day?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I take a spoon and dip into the peanut butter like it's ice cream! Maybe 2-3 scoops. Is that ok to do once a day?
    If the other people using the jar don't mind your saliva it's fine.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    My jar. My house. my choice.
    lol.

But no, why not? I mean all things in moderation, most peanutbutter has a lot of sugar, but yeah Why not?
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    This is pretty much the only way my family eat peanut butter. We dont dip the spoon back in, but just grab a big spoonful the first time. We rarely eat it on bread. As long as i can log it, ill eat it that way. Keeps my carbs lower and i like it better. Great protien
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

Or if you don't mind the bacteria transferring from your mouth to the pb jar to germinate there until your next spoonful. Get a new spoon.
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to lose weight, doing it that way makes it a little harder to figure out how much you're consuming. As long as it doesn't put you over your goals, why not.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I had a teaspoon of it straight out of the jar. It was delicious.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Or if you don't mind the bacteria transferring from your mouth to the pb jar to germinate there until your next spoonful. Get a new spoon.

I lick the spoon really good to get all the bacteria off of it before I put it back in the jar.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options

Do you count the calories? It's like 100 per tablespoon, so you're eating probably 200-300 calories of it, at least. If by "OK" do you mean, for weight loss? Whatever fits in your calorie goal is ok for weight loss.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is not a "bad" food, but it's a very calorie dense food.

Lack of weight loss (or unplanned gain) often happens because we either over-estimate the calories we're burning or underestimate the calories we eat. Your method seems to me to lend itself to under-estimating your calories.

The solution: Use a measuring spoon. Flatten the peanut butter so you're just getting a measuring spoonful. Two tablespoons is a typical serving. Not saying you can't have more, but if you do, log it as 1 1/2 servings or 2 servings or whatever.

I do this by the way. Got a scoop shaped half tablespoon measure and 4 of those is a serving. Great "need more calories today" snack.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    My jar. My house. my choice.
    lol.

But no, why not? I mean all things in moderation, most peanutbutter has a lot of sugar, but yeah Why not?

Good point here - choose natural peanut butter that lists as the ingredients peanuts and maybe a little salt (you can tell how much by checking the sodium on the nutrition label). Nothing else.
  • mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I eat the low sodium and sugar JIF to curb the the calorie intake. I think eating it out of the jar is a great option :-)
  • LiZzie1917
    LiZzie1917 Posts: 65
    Options
    We like spreading peanut butter on apple slices. Make sure you measure. Peanut butter is high in calories and fat. You might want to check out other butters like almond, tahini etc for a variety.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
  • Rambo313
    Rambo313 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I use a measuring spoon for this as my definition of a tablespoon was a heaping tablespoon because I love PB so much, so using a measuring spoon helped make sure I wasn't going over the calories.

I actually make my own I buy organic peanuts and put them in a food processor eventually it turns into pb.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I make my own PB spread with water and organic PB powder. It is only 45 calories for two tablespoons......
    I can make it thicker or thinner depending on what I am using it for...
    (thin sauce over my whipped frozen bananas is my favorite)...
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to deal with mushing it into a measuring spoon, you can use a food scale that measures grams and has a tare function. Most do. Put the empty spoon on the scale. Turn it on. Load it up with PB. Re-weigh. The weight should be the PB alone, not the spoon. The package nutritional info should give the grams per serving. That's how I do it if I'm eating nut butter regularly.
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I make my own PB spread with water and organic PB powder. It is only 45 calories for two tablespoons......
    I can make it thicker or thinner depending on what I am using it for...
    (thin sauce over my whipped frozen bananas is my favorite)...

Woah - whipped frozen bananas? Y-U-M. I usually peel & freeze my bananas in half sizes to throw in a protein shake, but it never occured to me to whip them for a treat. Can't wait to try this! I like to drizzle some thin consistency PB2 over my vanilla frozen yogurt, but I bet a frozen whipped banana would be even better. :tongue:
  • M3l1s5a
    M3l1s5a Posts: 69
    Options

I lick the spoon really good to get all the bacteria off of it before I put it back in the jar.

Hahaha!!!
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options

I do that sometimes too when I am really hungry but dont wanna splurge a whole lot of calories...just a tsp though as 2 tblsp are 200 calories approx....takes care of my need for something decadent :)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    This topic made me smile. I've done that since I was a little kid. The calories DO add up - so now I actually use the "teaspoon" measuring spoon to avoid doing it too much with too many calories.
    I think its genetic too... I get up in the AM often with the PB jar next to my sons bed, and the milk he washed it down with. He had done it since he was very little and I worried about him choking, so that's where the milk comes from now too.
    I figure it's better than the Jar of Marshmallow Cream that I used to eat by the spoonful out of the jar too :)

I like the Dark Chocolate Wonderful PB, the PB Cookie Butter from Trader Joes, the Coconut PB from Tropical Traditions, and there is a company called Squirrel Nut Butters that make really fun PB's .