How do you curve your cravings?

Options
Last night I was sooo hungry I couldn't control my cravings.

What are your suggestions?

Replies

• hawaii86442
    hawaii86442 Posts: 167
    Options
    I have found that I have cravings when I dont eat a nutrionally sound diet. That being said--what are your cravings-because there are substitutes for sweet-chocolate or salty -crunchy cravings??
    :love:
  • lyonsfool03
    Options
    Many times our mind mistakes our body's craving for water as a sign for food. Always attempt to avoid late night snacks for your body will always have trouble burning it off. If all else fails get a glass of water and a few light crackers. it often helped for me to start. Now late night hunger no longer and issue for me. Best of luck
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options

Kinda depends-were you craving any particular food?

I eat lots of fruit and vegetables in their raw form and good proteins too. The fiber keeps me feeling full and satisfied without lots of calories and the protein also keeps me feeling full.

Now I crave chocolate and peanut butter like nobodys business. So sometimes I'll do a tablespoon-1 1/2 tablespoons of peanut butter with 1-1 1/2 tablespoons of chocolate chips.

It isn't a whole lot, but it's so rich, it curbs that craving for sweets-and though the protein is high in calories, it has good fat and protein in it and I usually eat dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips which is actually good for you in moderation.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Many times our mind mistakes our body's craving for water as a sign for food. Always attempt to avoid late night snacks for your body will always have trouble burning it off. If all else fails get a glass of water and a few light crackers. it often helped for me to start. Now late night hunger no longer and issue for me. Best of luck

Good point about the water. Before eating, drink a glass of water and wait 15-20 minutes. If you're still hungry then, go for a light snack.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options

I eat lots of fruit and vegetables in their raw form and good proteins too. The fiber keeps me feeling full and satisfied without lots of calories and the protein also keeps me feeling full.

Now I crave chocolate and penut butter like nobodys business. So sometimes I'll do a tablespoon-1 1/2 tablespoons of peanut butter with 1-1 1/2 tablespoons of chocolate chips.

It isn't a whole lot, but it's so rich, it curbs that craving for sweets-and though the protein is high in calories, it has good fat and protein in it and I usually eat dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips which is actually good for you in moderation.

^^ now i'm craving this :bigsmile:

I drink and drink water constantly ....
  • dhoddy
    dhoddy Posts: 35
    Options
    Sugar-free gum! My favorites are the Trident Layers, Cherry/Lime, Strawberry/Citruc and MAngo/Peach! It's like eating candy :)
  • MSeel1984
    Options

Now I crave chocolate and penut butter like nobodys business. So sometimes I'll do a tablespoon-1 1/2 tablespoons of peanut butter with 1-1 1/2 tablespoons of chocolate chips.

^^ now i'm craving this :bigsmile:

Hahahaha! I found it's a better solution to peanut butter cups or candy. Because then I can do like Simply Jif or all natural or something that I know is better for me than sweets. It is really satisfying too.
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I drink some water, eat some nutritious food first and if I still want it I have it in moderation. It also helps to track the calories before hand so you can see how much you can have and fit within your goals, if you go overboard every once and a while it won't really hurt anything.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I either
    A. chew gum
    B. brush my teeth
    C. go to bed
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I use a lathe.

(OK, I couldn't resist ribbing the word "curve". I think you meant "curb your cravings".)

Basically, I don't. When I want ice cream, I have some ice cream. I just try to make it fit into my calorie counts for the day, and keep the amount reasonable. Even if it doesn't fit into my count for the day, it's usually not enough to totally wipe out my deficit. Does it slow down my weight loss as compared to if I didn't eat the ice cream? Almost certainly. Do I care? Nope! :happy:

I'm still making progress toward my goal, and I'm not denying myself the things I like along the way.
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    i try and have a glass of hot water .. if it doesnt work i go brush my teeth and boom its gone! ahaha
  • nickyjl81
    nickyjl81 Posts: 66
    Options
    I normally allow myself a little bit of what I'm craving providing I've got the calories spare.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I use a lathe.

(OK, I couldn't resist ribbing the word "curve". I think you meant "curb your cravings".)

Basically, I don't. When I want ice cream, I have some ice cream. I just try to make it fit into my calorie counts for the day, and keep the amount reasonable. Even if it doesn't fit into my count for the day, it's usually not enough to totally wipe out my deficit. Does it slow down my weight loss as compared to if I didn't eat the ice cream? Almost certainly. Do I care? Nope! :happy:

I'm still making progress toward my goal, and I'm not denying myself the things I like along the way.

Same for me. When I want chocolate, I have some. It's 70% dark instead of milk and I only have half the serving size.

I tried the whole "drink water" trick. My body knows the difference between food and water and rather enjoys turning up the cramps when it doesn't get the food it wants.
  • Mbishop7684
    Mbishop7684 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If you're like me, I struggle with stopping once I start. Even if I have single serving snacks set aside. I struggle with this too and something I've found that works for me is:

1) like others, drink water and wait
    2) small calorie burn workout: do 50 jumping jacks or crunches etc. Gets your mind off food and you probably will forget you want something after you just burned a few calories
    3) like others, go to bed?

You don't want to stifle your cravings because you'll just end up being glutenous one day and eating 100's of calories you shouldn't but try to understand why you are craving them and if you REALLY want it or does it just sounds good :-)

Hope that helps!