Vegetable ideas?

Options
mehaffeymk
mehaffeymk Posts: 154 Member
I have a lack of ideas on how to prepare vegetables and I lack a variety in my veggies. The frozen veggie things aren't my favorite, I definitely prefer the taste of fresh veggies more but all I eat is sauteed or grilled zucchini and squash. So what are yall's favorite way to eat veggies? I've been slacking on my diet and I need alot more whole food in my diet but I need some ideas!

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Any amount of ideas out there!

Vegetable stir-fry - thin strips of pepper, onion, mushroom, courgette etc.

Roast roots - cubes of squash, parsnip, sweet potato roasted in the oven until soft. Rosemary and garlic go well with this combination, and I like to add a few cubes of haloumi cheese about 20 mins before the end of cooking.

Stew/ soup. Periodically I use up any veg that's getting a bit old and turn it into a vegetable stew. Cut into small dice, sweat in a little oil, then simmer in stock until soft. Tinned tomatoes are a great addition, and for extra protein you can add a tin of beans (borlotti, chickpeas, cannelini, anything). If you dont like *****y soups, blend it to a smooth consitency, and serve topped with grated cheese.
  • FitnFabMichelle
    FitnFabMichelle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love roasted asparagus!!! Mmmmmm.

As well as a roasted squash / zucchini / red-skinned potatoes / peppers / mushrooms / onions medley. :)
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Roasting is my current favorite way to prepare veggies. Just cut up your veggies of choice, drizzle lightly or spritz with olive oil, and sprinkle on a bit of salt (and other seasonings if you like - I love a bit of garlic and onion powder). Place the veggies on a single layer and roast in a 375 degree oven. It will take about 25 minutes for relatively soft veggies (like zucchini, squash, eggplant, broccoli, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts) and up to about 45 minutes for the firmer veggies (sweet potatoes, potatoes, onions, carrots).

You can also add other seasonings. For example, cauliflower is wonderful with a bit of lemon juice and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Brussel sprouts are fantastic with a bit of soy sauce. And sweet potatoes are amazing with a bunch of different spices. My usual mix for them includes ginger, garlic, paprika, red pepper, and just a teaspoon or so of brown sugar.

And summer is a fantastic time for salads, not just mixed greens either. You can make a fantastic salad with fennel root. And beets, lightly steamed, make a wonderful salad on their own or added to mixed greens.

Hope you find some wonderful new ways to enjoy your veggies.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    Green smoothies are an excellent way to get a lot of vegetables and they taste good too. :)
  • kjbilsland
    Options
    put broccoli in a gallon size bag, put in a couple tbsp of olive oil and coat broccoli. Bake for 25 minutes on 375. we like it just when the tips of the broccoli start getting brown and crispy
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I have a lack of ideas on how to prepare vegetables and I lack a variety in my veggies. The frozen veggie things aren't my favorite, I definitely prefer the taste of fresh veggies more but all I eat is sauteed or grilled zucchini and squash. So what are yall's favorite way to eat veggies? I've been slacking on my diet and I need alot more whole food in my diet but I need some ideas!

SOOOO Many things on that list! I am slightly obsessed with vegetables.

I love salads...veggies in their raw form are usually my favorite, but here's a couple ideas.

Shred raw beets and season with rice wine vinegar, salt and pepper

Half about 2 cups of Brussels Sprouts and saute w/1 Tbsp olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic

Sliced tomatoes with fresh basil and mozzarella (drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil)

Steam carrots until fork tender-stir in a little (LITTLE) bit of butter, orange juice, 1 tsp of brown sugar and ground ginger

Steam zuchinni and stir in chopped fresh dill, salt, pepper and a little butter (you can almost skip the butter) and lemon juice.

I've got some great salad recipes too.
  • Coryd2012
    Coryd2012 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    zuchini boats and zuchini fries
  • Coryd2012
    Coryd2012 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    pintrest just type in what veg and hundreds of recipies come up
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I love all my vegies either raw or steamed---lightly. Even steamed I dont want them mushy.... want a byte to em.