changed my goal

BossyGirl
BossyGirl Posts: 173 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Im 140 trying to get down to 130.
My recent goal was to lose 2lbs per week. And its not working out. So now Im going to try only 1 lb a week, which is 1500 calories/day.
My question is...is it harder for me to lose 2lbs a week because im tech. not overweight?
does my body like to hold on to the pounds because im already at a healthy weight?
BMI=23

Replies

• readyforchange
    readyforchange Posts: 34 Member
    How tall are you??
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Not sure how tall you are, but I'm 5'7" and almost the same weight- currently 143 trying to get to 133. I currently have my goals set at losing 1 lb per week, but based on some of what I've read here, I'm wondering if I should have it set at half a pound a week since I'm not overweight, and I'm close (relatively speaking) to my goal... curious to see some of your responses...
  • BossyGirl
    BossyGirl Posts: 173 Member
    im 5'5
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    You can do one pound a week. Two pounds is a little ambitious.
  • I'm about the same height as you, and working on going from 138 to 125. I set my goal to 1 pound per week, and I either stick right to what it says, or go a little above. I guess I use it as a baseline, and try not to go below. I also eat everything I earn from exercise.

Even though I follow the calories and balance of nutrients, I haven't been going down by a full pound per week. I didn't really expect to, though, not having much to lose. I am not sure what would happen if I changed my goals to 0.5 pounds per week, 'cause I'm afraid I would stop seeing progress entirely. (I am halfway to my goal, by the way).

So, that was my long-winded way of saying, I think it's not unhealthy to pursue 1 pound per week at your weight--but if it comes off more slowly, don't be discouraged! 2 pounds per week is something I would personally consider to be too ambitious.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    My daughter was around 150'ish in June, and it took her a few months to see a drop in her weight. The less fat you have to lose, the harder your body holds on to it- I'm sure you've heard of the infamous "last 10 pounds". It's hard to get off, and hard to keep off. What helped for my daughter was upping her exercise intensity. She was doing workout videos along with me, but wasn't seeing any results. As soon as she added some intense running (phys ed class) 5 days/ week, her weight started to go down.

If you don't eat a lot of dairy, try adding some calcium supplements to your diet, and cutting out sodas (including diet). Those two things may help you see a loss.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    i think what happens is people dont take the last 10 to 20 pounds as serious as if they had 100 pounds to me its easy those last pounds .like goals that are a round the cornner and not months away just drop your calorie down to 1200 work out 2-3 hours a day drink your whey protein in orange juice so you keep your energy high dont eat your work out calories make sure you build your muscles up and that 10-20 pound would come off in a month like it was nothing
  • whidbeyweight
    whidbeyweight Posts: 43 Member
    we're the same height, but you look much slimmer than i am (or see myslef), i think you def have more lean muscle. i am currently just under 125 and have just changed my goal to 1lb per week and it is def working! i was at .5lb a week, and that worked too.
    the reason i want to lose slow is so i can learn to maintain and my body's metabolism can adjust. if i lose 3lbs in one week i gain 2 the next. but if i slowly lose .5lb, i can keep that weight for 4 days and then work toward the next .5lb.
    hope that helps. you look great though!
This discussion has been closed.