Resistance Training Without Spending Money

Options
WendyTerry420
WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
Any idea on this? I am new to all of this, and I am on a very tight budget for the next few months. Since I have no extra funds for a gym or home equipment, I have been doing all the "freebie" exercises, that is, walking, jogging, crunches, pushes, leg lifts, etc.

I keep hearing about how resistance training is important to make sure you are burning fat and not lean body mass. What can I do at home that wouldn't require buying anything?

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I'd keep doing what you're doing while the budget is tight.

Walking is great.
    I do a lot of leg lifts as well.
    Pushups are good too.

But once finances allow it I would reccommend trying to find a cheap gym or looking into some equipment.
    Things can be pricey but I've found that investments in strength/fitness to be some of the best ways to spend my money.
    I've shelled out a ton over the past year, but don't regret a penny of it, because you will look and feel 1000 times better.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Google "bodyweight exercises" - there's a lot you can do without any equipment, especially at the beginning.

If you've ever got an extra $20 (or less at a garage sale), buy a small set of handweights and 30 Day Shred ($9-10 at Target).
  • MrsB724
    MrsB724 Posts: 247
    Options
    You can find the 30 day shred on youtube for free.....maybe not ethical but just sayin'......
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    There are usually lots of workout dvds available at the library.

I'd also recommend Tracy Reifkind's book "The Swing" and a kettlebell when the funds will allow it. She has a lot of videos available free on youtube as well.
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Also, all 4 Ripped in 30 workouts are on youtube for free as well. There are tons of resistance training free workout videos on youtube.
  • FBGWILL
    FBGWILL Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Youtube has a lot of bodyweight exercise videos that people have created. Insanity and P90-X may be specific programs, but for the common person on a tight budget, youtube offers plenty of alternatives that provide high intensity and promote weight loss without breaking the bank.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Consignment stores are a great place to find small fitness equipment like hand weights and the like. I've also found body weight exercises have given enough of a challenge (especially if you're new to resistance training). There are tons of ideas out there if you Google 'body weight exercises at home' or something like that.

I actually have a board on Pinterest where I keep a collection of body weight moves. I too am on a tight budget and trying to prove I can do it without buying a lot of extra equipment or memberships. You can look at it if you'd like: http://pinterest.com/erinbengland/move/
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Soup cans are good starter weights. Also you can use Milk / Water Jugs (or any other jug with a good handle) Your old set of encyclopedias are nice as well! Lots of 'ordinary' things you can use for weights ;)
  • da1128
    da1128 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Cans of soup make excellent hand weights. Need something heavier? Wash out an empty plastic milk jug and fill it with sand, put the cap back on and you're good to go.

I have some extra exercise bands if you would like to have them. Feel free to add me as a friend or send me a message with your mailing info. I'll be glad to send you the bands at no cost to you. I have more than I need.

Dot
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Lots of great suggestions! I never even thought of You Tube! Thanks, everyone!

Edit: Also, I just realized that body weight stuff like push-ups is a form of resistance training. Ha! I always thought of push-ups and jumping jacks as calesthenics. That's what we called it in gym class when I was a kid. :tongue: