Sauna Etiquette

I go to LA Fitness and they have no rules for the sauna as far as etiquette. This is a uni-sex sauna and 95% of the people that go in wear their gym clothes. They are in there to either warm up before a workout or just sweat some water weight off after. But yesterday as I was sitting in the sauna, an older lady walked in with a bikini 3 times too small for her really flabby over weight built, She went off on me about how arrogant I am and the people at this gym. She told me how disgusted and irresponsible we are and wouldn't shut up about it the whole 15 min I was trying to relax. I told her that maybe if it wasn't uni-sex I would wear a bathing suit, but I'm just there to sweat, and relax after a long work out. I'm not touching anything and bring in a towel. My b/f said I should have told her to shut up and if she didn't like it to find some place else to sit in a more private sauna, but I'm not that mean.

Just curious, If you go into a uni-sex sauna at your gym do you wear your gym clothes?

Replies

• reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    wait, so she thought you were stupid for wearing your workout clothes? ****, i've sat in saunas with sweats/garbage bags/sauna suits and i'm fine. granted it was all for cutting weight, but **** come on. she should mind her own business. the only unisex sauna i've ever been in was at the university i wrestled at, and guys and girls alike would just wear the compression materials in there, but it was a close enough community that nobody really cared. but i've sat in the sauna in clothes before, and sometimes just a towel. it's your preference, and i think your boyfriend was right and you can tell her to shove it. you're entitled to your opinion just as much as she is
  • becca_21
    becca_21 Posts: 100 Member
    I think it's a little ridiculous that she was in the sauna starting drama. In my opinion, every sauna is different. I think for the most part, you should just mind your own business, and relax. Afterall, that's what saunas are for--relaxing. I never really pay attention to what others are wearing, and I don't think that it should matter. Obviously, if it's uni-sex, both parties should be "covered appropriately." Otherwise, it shouldn't matter. People need to worry about themselves. Sorry you've had a bad experience!
  • Crystleen
    Crystleen Posts: 81 Member
    Yeah she thought we are stupid for wearing our workout clothes, she was in there for only "health" reasons and we are bringing in germs with our shoes and sweaty gym clothes. I don't think most public gyms saunas are really for "health" reasons. People are there to get fit/cut. If I wanted a sauna to strictly get healthy I sure as hell wouln't use a mass used gym sauna. I'd go to a private one with real strict rules.
  • Crystleen
    I answered her back at the begining, but as soon as she kept on and wouldn't shut up I put in my earphones and ignored her ranting.
  • AvocadoPit
    AvocadoPit Posts: 22 Member
    Interesting. I've never actually heard of people wearing clothes in a sauna before. Here (in sweden) you are in the sauna naked, wrapped in a towel most of the times. In some occations it's ok to wear a bikini/swim suit, and a towel. The latter only in some occasions and for uni-sex saunas. But never clothes! I find the idea of clothes in a saune very strange! Why?

Although, if that is how it's done at your gym, then that is the culture there and she should deal with that and don't walk around going off on people just minding their own business.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    What kind of music player do you have? I would like one I could take in the sauna.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    She was rude but I also have to object to your demeaning her physical appearance: "flabby overweight built". It has no bearing on the situation and insulting to us older, flabby overweight women. Its just name-calling.
  • amossberg
    amossberg Posts: 6 Member
    Interesting. I've never actually heard of people wearing clothes in a sauna before. Here (in sweden) you are in the sauna naked, wrapped in a towel most of the times. In some occations it's ok to wear a bikini/swim suit, and a towel. The latter only in some occasions and for uni-sex saunas. But never clothes! I find the idea of clothes in a saune very strange! Why?

Although, if that is how it's done at your gym, then that is the culture there and she should deal with that and don't walk around going off on people just minding their own business.

I agree with this - wearing clothes in a sauna seems really weird to me. If it's a shared sauna I can see bathing suits but gym clothes? No way. A sauna should be kept clean and pristine, and not smell like workout sweat.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    she just wanted to see you naked ;) LOL!
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member

I agree with this - wearing clothes in a sauna seems really weird to me. If it's a shared sauna I can see bathing suits but gym clothes? No way. A sauna should be kept clean and pristine, and not smell like workout sweat.

^^^^this for me also^^^ in England....can't understand why one would wear gym clothing in a sauna!!! For mixed or if one wants a swimsuit or bikini is the norm here!!! P.s. also didn't think the other people had to describe the lady like she did!
  • Darrell916
    Darrell916 Posts: 110 Member
    I generally wear my gym clothes with some sandles. I do it cause my body isn't something to show. I guess one day I will be comfortable enough to take my shirt off and relax
  • Crystleen
    I meantioned the flabby over weight because of her bikini was wayyyy to small and made her bulge out of everything to the point it was kinda gross. I'm flabby over weight too, had 2 kids, but I would never wear anything that small. And, I do have a sense of humor about myself. I'm very sarcastic and campy. I don't get offended easily, So, sorry if I offended but each to their own. If you are going to wear a suit in a public sauna at least wear one that fits and not one made for a super model. If it was all female that might be another story but you know how some guys are!
  • Darrell916
    Darrell916 Posts: 110 Member
    What kind of music player do you have? I would like one I could take in the sauna.

I have never had a problem with it, but I take my ipod wrapped in a towel and I haven't had any problems yet. I have had my ipod for a few years.
  • gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    At my gym (which has a pool) the saunas are in the change rooms, so the women's and men's are separate and people go in there either nude or in a bathing suit. The rules are that you have to sit on a towel for hygiene sake, and not apply scented lotions or oils in there. This seems fair. In a unisex sauna though, most gyms and pools expect bathing suits or something along those lines to be worn. If there is no pool at your gym I can see why people would usually wear full gym clothes in there, because that's what they have on and why would you bring a bathing suit just to sit in the sauna? Although that does seem unusual. I've also never seen anyone wearing regular clothes in a sauna. I see her point about the shoes being unhygeinic but clothes? Nah, it's all the same sweat whether you got sweaty from your workout or from the sauna. There probably should be a no shoes rule, but I don't see why you couldn't wear your tshirt and shorts in there.

But anyways, strange or not I agree with AvocadoPit, that if that's the culture of your gym, that's just how it is. I wouldn't like that very much myself, but then I'd probably choose another gym if that were the case. Unless there's nothing else around where you live, she could go elsewhere to have a more traditional sauna experience.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    People wear clothes in saunas? Im from Texas and I've only seen towels.
  • Crystleen
    I have an Ipod with a plastic/cloth cover w/ a clip, I keep it on my waistband, have had it for 3 years and haven't had a problem with it, I also bring in my iphone and read or watch hulu sometimes on it, no issues.
  • sunshinedean
    sunshinedean Posts: 82 Member
    I go to the YMCA ~ I have seen bathing suits (of all kinds) and work out clothes both...... it is for both men & women so no naked with towels allowed. Although some suits & work out clothes don't always cover as much as the towel would cover!!! :blushing: :noway:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    i'd have told that old lady to STFU and go buy a bathing suit that fit.

my sauna is women;s only so i go in with a bathing suit or a towel. if it were unisex i'd so the same
  • I really never know the right way to go. Some people go in with their gym clothes and some go in swimsuits. I think either are fine but there should be a happy medium. I ahte when I see girls in super showy things like this http://www.theorchidboutique.com/bendito-eighties.html#.Ud2XA0E4un8. That's a little over the top for a gym sauna. Also, dudes, if you stink , please change into a swimsuit so I don't have to smell you while I'm trying to relax.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    I am in the UK, I don't know of any unisex sauna at any of the gyms I have been to. I go into the sauna naked on the odd occasion I venture in there.